Homebrew will writing 3ds homebrew in c instead of c++ limit me?

geffgeff

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
hey all, im deciding if i should write my homebrew game in c or c++, even though they both compile to arm assembly at the end of the day (at least i think).

i already know c, mainly because i chose it over the behemoth, that is c++. would using c for my homebrew game limit me, should i just use c++? because i know a majority of nintendo titles use c++ for the 3ds, so im wondering if i should just suck it up, and learn c++, or continue developing it in c.

thanks for the input

Reactions: Nutez
Solution
It is mostly a paradigm shift. If you are more of a functional programmer you will do fine with just C. Source code can look bit scrambled if you do not take proper measures and organice your sources and your headers properly but so does C++. If you are more of a natural programmer you will struggle a bit in C as you will find yourself struct-ing most of your data to give it shape. I personally find OOP the most handy tool for memory control/memory management/memory leak management specially if you are willing to write your own objects from scratch.

In no way C++ "is a behemoth". Sure it has plenty of features but its up to you as a developer to choose wether to to use them or not. Unused features are not compiled into the objects...

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
It is mostly a paradigm shift. If you are more of a functional programmer you will do fine with just C. Source code can look bit scrambled if you do not take proper measures and organice your sources and your headers properly but so does C++. If you are more of a natural programmer you will struggle a bit in C as you will find yourself struct-ing most of your data to give it shape. I personally find OOP the most handy tool for memory control/memory management/memory leak management specially if you are willing to write your own objects from scratch.

In no way C++ "is a behemoth". Sure it has plenty of features but its up to you as a developer to choose wether to to use them or not. Unused features are not compiled into the objects generated. You can throw your C code to the g++ compiler and most likely it will do perfect first try. You can avoid the stl alltogether if that worries you.

TL;DR: No it wont limit you. Language of choice will only help you organice your code. If did well, code generated will be the same either you choose.

Last edited by Urbanshadow,
Reactions: Nutez
Solution

geffgeff

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
In no way C++ "is a behemoth". Sure it has plenty of features but its up to you as a developer to choose wether to to use them or not. Unused features are not compiled into the objects generated. You can throw your C code to the g++ compiler and most likely it will do perfect first try. You can avoid the stl alltogether if that worries you.
huh, alright then! i might dive into c++, i'll check it out. thank you!

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't think it will really limit you in any way, since I'm pretty sure that almost all of the 3DS homebrew development libraries are still written in C with no C++ version, so even if you were trying to write everything with OOP and in "the C++ way", you would still have to go back to writing C-style code for interacting with the 3DS libraries. Of course it's no problem if you want to use OOP and modern C++ features, but otherwise using C is really unlikely to limit you at all if you're already used to it, in fact writing modern C++ in this case might just result in messier code since you'll have to interact with standard C libraries all the time anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it