Will Windows 10 (potentially) improve in any way emulation of gaming hardware?

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I was wondering if the OS has any impact on the quality of emulators.
I apologise in advance if I asked something utterly idiotic :(

Reactions: Margen67

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've got it on me HTC Shift x9500 UMPC and it's blazing fast.
Even faster then Win 8 (came preinstalled when I got it) and Win 7.

So I'm pretty sure that's better.

I remember reading somewhere that the OS has a more direct access to hardware.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are of course theoretical things, probably some more practical things once MS decide to gate off newer versions DirectX from older versions of Windows and the option that it could run even lighter.

In practice the main benefit will probably be from being a new OS install and thus without the cruft of an existing install that has presumably been there and collecting more junk for years at this point.

This might be enough to keep you just above the intended frame rate but you are probably still going to want to get some better hardware.

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
Can't really see it affecting emulators in particular but it is faster than 8 with a smaller footprint.
It is faster enough to be noticeable in something like arma 3 and general usage so you never know, I haven't tried ps2 or gc emulation with it yet.

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Since I use Win8 exclusively for playing games (most of them emulated), would it be wise to upgrade to 10 right now? Or should I wait so that things get settled (bugs and stuff)? I only use Windows on a partition on my MBP, so normal usage is not an issue for me.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
However apparently Windows 10, in addition to running Metro apps in desktop mode will also support the reverse, running desktop apps in Metro mode. Presumably both of those will come with a performance hit so you will want to force desktop mode when running (non-Metro) emulators.

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
However apparently Windows 10, in addition to running Metro apps in desktop mode will also support the reverse, running desktop apps in Metro mode. Presumably both of those will come with a performance hit so you will want to force desktop mode when running (non-Metro) emulators.

If they do it (and it's not a bad idea) there wouldn't be any performance hit. Logically, it's be similar to throwing a fullscreen app/game into windowed mode.

Reactions: filfat

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
If they do it (and it's not a bad idea) there wouldn't be any performance hit. Logically, it's be similar to throwing a fullscreen app/game into windowed mode.

There would be if they are using API translation or other tricks (converting GDI calls into whatever Metro uses). Apparently with ModernMix which did the reverse (but useless now as running Metro apps in desktop mode is now part of Windows 10) had a performance hit due to all the API interception and other trickery done.

Kaynabx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Since Microsoft said that W10 is going to be the most gaming oriented OS they released I assume there will be some improvements.
I simply hope for a better AMD support with W10. I actually am satisfied with W8.1 but people told me W10 was a lot faster.

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
Trophies
Website
www.sweetsideofsweden.com
XP
Country
Sweden
There would be if they are using API translation or other tricks (converting GDI calls into whatever Metro uses). Apparently with ModernMix which did the reverse (but useless now as running Metro apps in desktop mode is now part of Windows 10) had a performance hit due to all the API interception and other trickery done.

Actually according to a few fellow developers over at Microsoft (a few friends of mine so i cant really link to a source) running metro apps in Window has no performance hit, they just render the app like usual but instead of full screen they "emulate" a smaller screen, hence why you have a minimum size of the modern apps. Also this is clearly apparent when developing and debugging apps in Windows 10.

Anyhow kudos to you for know how modernmix did it :)

I would just stick with Win8 because I hate the new Win10 design..

Meh, Windows 10 isn't even in Developer Preview yet; but i have to agree Modern 2.0 with that rounded toggles just feels "off". Anyhow the new icons (or well most of them), the new apps (except the toggle) and Cortana looks great :)

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Actually according to a few fellow developers over at Microsoft (a few friends of mine so i cant really link to a source) running metro apps in Window has no performance hit, they just render the app like usual but instead of full screen they "emulate" a smaller screen, hence why you have a minimum size of the modern apps. Also this is clearly apparent when developing and debugging apps in Windows 10.

Anyhow kudos to you for know how modernmix did it :)

Meh, Windows 10 isn't even in Developer Preview yet; but i have to agree Modern 2.0 with that rounded toggles just feels "off". Anyhow the new icons (or well most of them), the new apps (except the toggle) and Cortana looks great :)

Well how else would they do it. They don't have Windows source code so obviously they have to use API hooking and other trickery. Besides, it is pretty obvious that if updates can break it then obviously it is doing naughty things.

D

Deleted_413010

Can't really see it affecting emulators in particular but it is faster than 8 with a smaller footprint.
It is faster enough to be noticeable in something like arma 3 and general usage so you never know, I haven't tried ps2 or gc emulation with it yet.

I have tried GC emulation and let me just say it works great. But...then again its all based on your hardware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu