Will WiiHomebrew be ports of Gamecube homebrew?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Sebastian25, May 10, 2008.

May 10, 2008
  1. Sebastian25
    OP

Member Sebastian25 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Im a bit confused with what is possible with wiihomebrew. I notice a lot of the emulators for the wii are ports of gamecube versions.

That's great, although there were certain limitations on what the gamecube could do. For instance the SNES9X emulator had flicker problems with
    games such as Yoshi's Island, and it didn't support Progressive mode. So my question pertains to developers ability to harness the wii's power. Is it possible
    to access and utilize all of the Wii's Video RAM? Wouldnt N64 emualtors run more smoothly? Im a bit confused why the emulator lags, since the gamecube had half the Video RAM of the WII (correct me if im wrong).

Is it possible to have a seperate GAMECUBE MODE channel that supports IN GAME RESET? and Rest back to the wii menu?

What I hope is possible is to be able to emulate MSX MSX2 NES AND SNES, maybe N64 and Genesis.

Any insight or speculation would be greatly appreciate. I want to get rid of my gamecube that was chipped with the QOOB PRO. That supported in game rest, is that only possible with a bios chip running custom firmware ?

2. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    All the emulators for the Wii are GC ones port because it's the same architecture. So why trash a good source code entirely, if it still works?

The entire power of the Wii is still to be used, but seeing as most of the Wii exclusive functions are still totally unknown (only lately Wii emulators started using the front SD card slot and the Wiimote controls) things can certainly improve.

Yeah, they're doing Wii64 that will be exclusive to the Wii, that will (hopefully) run all the games flawlessy.

3. Sebastian25
    OP

Member Sebastian25 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    But Yoshis Island and some other SNES roms have problems running in the first place.

Is it possible to port ZSNES emulator to the wii?

4. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Difficult. It might never happen, as I can't find a PowerPC (the architecture the Wii uses) port of ZSNES out there.

Porting an emulator from an architecture (x86) to another (PPC) it's a lot of work, and the majority of the developers out there might just think that it might not be worth doing it, and just end up using the Snes9x source.