Will wii be able to support the new wireless n?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by imgod22222, Jan 28, 2007.

Jan 28, 2007
  1. imgod22222
    OP

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    I've been doing a lot of reading, and have decided to switch my whole house to the new wireless-n standard, since its a hell lot faster than old wireless-g (5GHz compared to 2.4Ghz). I don't think so, but will wii ever have some sort of upgrade to connect to wireless-n? USB addon or update?

2. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    The wireless-n is a hardware standard, so a firmware update couldn't enable it. Maybe they issue a -n standard wireless USB dongle, but not that soon, because the new standard isn't widespread yet.

3. imgod22222
    OP

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    that's what i thought would be the case. thanks for confirming.

4. Sick Wario

Member Sick Wario Club Nintendo

United Arab Emirates
    802.11 draft N is backwards compatible with 802.11G/B, just like 802.11G is backwards compatible with 802.11B

5. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    So long as the N access point isn't set to N only it should work.

6. Lukeage

Member Lukeage GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    While the n standard is about 10 times faster, you are comparing the wrong thing there. That is the operating frequency and 802.11n will operate in either th 5ghz or 2.4ghz bandwidth. In regards to the wii operating on it, it will work due to backwards compatibility. However, expect a performance hit (just like putting a 802.11b device on a 802.11g network) as things will need to wait for the slower communication. Since you are saying you will upgrade, your best bet would be to keep a 802.11g access point just to connect slower devices and run it into a switch which also has a your 802.11n access point. This way the 802.11n devices should still be able to communicate with each other at a decent speed.