Hacking Will we ever see GBA roms on Slot1 solutions?

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
QUOTE said:
WE should put in massive letters "GBA ROMS WILL NEVER WORK ON A SLOT ONE AND STOP ASKING ABOUT N64 EMULATION". Should solve our problems
laugh.gif

yeah but what about N64 emulation, do you think it's possible?
Are you serious?

Jesus...

i hope not.

acrocosm

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
QUOTE said:
WE should put in massive letters "GBA ROMS WILL NEVER WORK ON A SLOT ONE AND STOP ASKING ABOUT N64 EMULATION". Should solve our problems
laugh.gif

yeah but what about N64 emulation, do you think it's possible?

why would anyone want a n64 emu afterall? the n64 was crap
tongue.gif
i can only think of a handfull of games worth playing: Sin & Punishment, Paper Mario Conker's Bad Fur Day and the zelda ones

a better snes/genesis emu would be the best. but imagine, if the FM chip on a genesis emu is tooooooo hard to emulate how could n64 ever be possible
blink.gif

xenon

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Since it's been bumped... It would be quite a convoluted approach to try to emulate something that is on-board. Still, I can see how switching to GBA mode would cut out access to both game data and save files... virdict: not gonna happen.

Tikker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've never understood why someone would want to emulate in software something that it does natively in hardware already

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tikker said:
I've never understood why someone would want to emulate in software something that it does natively in hardware already
because they have to buy more stuff
not cheap either

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
Tikker said:
because they have to buy more stuff
not cheap either
Actually, it is cheap. You can get a cheap GBA flashcart from dealextreme.com for less than $10 USD shipped. You can get a 3-in-1 from them for $20 shipped. You can get an eWin GBA expansion cart for about $20 shipped from various places, and you can get the M3 Real GBA expansion for less than $30 shipped from realhotstuff.com.

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Destructobot said:
Only the $10 one needs to be flashed. The rest of the carts I mentioned work pretty much the same way as the M3 Perfect, except the files are stored on the slot 1 cart.
In other words they still have to be flashed.
It's still flashing when the DS does it.

Anyway, wasn't there a news post about this a while ago?

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
jdbye said:
Destructobot said:
Only the $10 one needs to be flashed. The rest of the carts I mentioned work pretty much the same way as the M3 Perfect, except the files are stored on the slot 1 cart.

Anyway, wasn't there a news post about this a while ago?

Actually, the M3 flashes on the fly too...

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jdbye said:
Okay, fine. How about this: Only the $10 one requires the games to be written to NOR flash memory before you can play them. The rest load the games into RAM just like the M3 Perfect.

matriculated

Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
Canada
Well, let's say the rumor about a NDS redesign is true. What could the possible improve on the NDSL? Size? How could they cut down on size? Removing all non-necessary GBA components. When this happens (and who knows if it ever will), that's when developers will begin to start on GBA emulation. My gut tells me that the NDS is not powerful enough though. Not to say it's not possible, but it's not fast enough. SNES emulation isn't quite there so emulation the GBA will be that much harder.

Shiny

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seeing as the GBA and DS share a similar architecture, I would opt for saying that software emulation may be possible, but definately not perfect. Games that stream data from ROM will suffer massive slowdown because SD read speeds are terribly slow. In order to achieve anything even near full speed it would have to be heavily optimized; not an easy task. Nobody has tried yet because slot-2 cards are so cheap anyways, so it's really not worth the effort.

So much work to have a decent GBA emulator just to save $20? Stop dreaming and get a slot-2 card.

azure0wind

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
yes we WILL see the GBA roms works on Slot-1 flashcart! just look at the main page...
Unfortunately it only work for iPlayer
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended