Hacking Will this Transcend 8GB Micro SDHC Class 6 work with CycloDS?

Alaru

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking about getting http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820208460 to go along with my CycloDS(which I ordered but haven't received yet) and I'm not sure if it'd work good. I also have a SanDisk MicroSDHC Class 2 but I read that Class 2 wasn't very good. Anyway, will I have any problems with it? Did I order the wrong one? If so, what would you suggest I get instead?

wilddenim

Candy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It should. I haven't heard of a microSD that doesn't work with CycloDS, so very likely it'll work.

I've tested an unnamed microSD 8GB Class 6 for a friend's new CycloDS. Works wonderfully. I've got SanDisk MicroSD 8GB Class 4 and 2GB microSD Kingston. Both works fine.

EDIT: Welcome to GBATemp Forum!
wink.gif

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
Welcome, new member!

As per Internet regulations, I will promptly begin to stalk you all over the forums to see of you are fit for these forums.

smileipb2.png
smileipb2.png
smileipb2.png
smileipb2.png
smileipb2.png
smileipb2.png
smileipb2.png
smileipb2.png
smileipb2.png
smileipb2.png
smileipb2.png
smileipb2.png
smileipb2.png
smileipb2.png
smileipb2.png
smileipb2.png
smileipb2.png
smileipb2.png

Filter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wilddenim said:
It should. I haven't heard of a microSD that doesn't work with CycloDS, so very likely it'll work.

I've tested an unnamed microSD 8GB Class 6 for a friend's new CycloDS. Works wonderfully. I've got SanDisk MicroSD 8GB Class 4 and 2GB microSD Kingston. Both works fine.

EDIT: Welcome to GBATemp Forum!
wink.gif

How do you tell what class it is? And what does it mean?

Also I am thinking of getting this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820134795

Can someone explain to me what classes mean and stand for and which is better?

wilddenim

Candy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Filter - It shows Class 4 on the card. So likely it's a Class 4. You'll see a little C with a number in the C. That's Class *.

Well, myself I don't find Class very important on cards but people says the higher the classes the faster the cards is. I haven't find any noticable lags on any of my cards yet. But, again, I don't play problematic games such as Castlevania series.

camintmier

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A SDHC card's class basically means how fast the card will write data.
  • Class 2: 2 MB/s - 13x
  • Class 4: 4 MB/s - 26x
  • Class 6: 6 MB/s - 40x
Note: Information shamelessly copied from Wikipedia.

Filter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wilddenim said:
Filter - It shows Class 4 on the card. So likely it's a Class 4. You'll see a little C with a number in the C. That's Class *.

Well, myself I don't find Class very important on cards but people says the higher the classes the faster the cards is. I haven't find any noticable lags on any of my cards yet. But, again, I don't play problematic games such as Castlevania series.

Wow how the hell did you see a 4? Its so small I can hardly see it.

I wonder why they don't put the class info in the Specifications tab on newegg.com

Edit: Apparently they do for some but not all. Odd.

Nitendo9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well my 4Gb Card Class ? (I don't know what the class is) doesn't work. I mean my cyclods reads it, but half of the files I download, when I play them, the word "Loading..." won't go away and it ends up staying like that forever, unless I of course shut my ds.

Examples of those kind of games are:
Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Scribblenauts
Professor Layton and Pandoras Box
Rocket Slime
And a bunch of more games...

It's just too bad. I really wanted to play that new zelda game. I was able to play Zelda Phantom Hourglass...
I probably just have to buy another card, but if somebody does know the reason to this, please tell me.
Thanks, bye!

leiger

Trophies
XP
Country
This is almost a necro post
wink.gif

Just confirming that I've had a Class 6 Transcend 8GB microSDHC since I bought my CycloDS and it's still working fine for me today.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There was a thread about this in the TC forums quite awhile back.....

At one point, I had a Transcend 4GB Class4. It had a poor response time (1.6ms), but had great read/writes and worked perfectly fine in the CycloDS. But I wanted more space (and a better response time), so I bought a Transcend 8GB Class 6. Big mistake! The card was flaky as hell in my CycloDS. It would get stuck at loading, especially if it was the first time the ROM was booted and it had to create the save file. The enhanced menu would take forever to come up, or not come up at all. Ultimate Mortal Kombat would fail to load (black screens) unless I deleted the save file.
wacko.gif
Yes, that crap actually happened. That same microSD works fine in my cell phone and a camera I tried it in. It also performed well in any tests I ran on it. If it has some kind of defect, I can't determine what it is. It's currently in my cell phone and still working fine.

Now, at the TC forums, some people had the same issues as me with the very same type of Transcend while others said that the exact same card worked fine for them. I don't know if it was a bad batch of SD's or just my CycloDS being particular, but I've NEVER had any other SD act like that in the Cyclo.....even one I knew to be defective at writing to it (RiDATA 16GB Class6).

I'd avoid Transcend in the CycloDS just to be sure you don't get burned by one of those flaky ones like I got. Best idea is to stick with the "known good" brands like Kingston or Sandisk.

StellaCaelum5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know, any non-corrupted (meaning not broken) microSD card should work regardless of the maker. On the other hand, I've read a lot of complaints about the brand Transcend.

Could I recommend: www.focalprice.com? They have 8gb cards for $20-$22 and it's free shipping. You do have to set up an account (fast and easy) and they do ship from China so it can take about 1.5-3wks for products to arrive. Just depends on patience versus finances. Those brands are good too: Kingston and Kingmax and Sandisk.

And as far as formatting, the cards should be preformatted to FAT32 but in case they're not, be sure to do that. :-) Use disk utility on a Mac. I'm not sure how to run that on a PC....

Good luck!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gonna love it when the next update blocks them