Will this hard drive work with my Wii correctly?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Darkrai64, Jul 29, 2011.

Jul 29, 2011
  1. Darkrai64
    OP

Newcomer Darkrai64 Newbie

United States
    Hello, I'm going to be getting a new external hard drive soon since I've learned Wii games load faster through USB. I have found this hard drive.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western+Digita...p;skuId=1251309

I'm planning on partitioning it as well. The problem is, I've heard that USB 3.0 external hard drives have problems with loading Wii games. Since this hard drive is both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0, will it work alright with my Wii? I checked the compatibility list, but I just want to make sure that it will work correctly.

Thanks. [​IMG]

2. Ryoku83

Member Ryoku83 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Its on the compatibility list, but its the older 2.0 version. Not sure really. Some people have no problems with the 3.0 drives other people do. Some people say that using a 2.0 cable makes them work. Hard to say I've never tested one myself.

3. Dangy

Member Dangy Twisting Your Mind & Smashing Your Dreams

United States
    That would work fine. But the thing to watch out for with those hard drives is a need for a power supply. It's really annoying.

2TB is more than enough room for games.

4. Darkrai64
    OP

United States
    Thank you for your response! I did some searching around and I'm not going to get this hard drive anymore. I hope the Best Buy I go to will have USB 2.0 external hard drives, or any others that are near where I live.

5. Darkrai64
    OP

United States
    Thank you also, but I will try and avoid USB 3.0 hard drives just to make sure I get one that will work for me Wii. [​IMG]

6. PPSainity

Member PPSainity Blinded by Science

Canada
    You will need an extra outlet for the drive's wall-wart, but self powered drives are actually less problematic for Wii use. Also the drive will power off when the Wii does, just as long as the Wii is not set to go into standby mode.

Well even though the Essential model is USB 3.0 and on sale for the same price, I'd recommend the Western Digital - WD Elements 2TB External USB 2.0 Hard Drive instead as it has been proven to work for the Wii, and does not have all the extra problem-some features as the Essential line (SmartWare/Encryption). If you are just going to use it for the Wii or something simple get the Elements model. Tough choice though as USB3.0 is fast if you are going to use the drive with a PC too. The Wii won't benefit from USB3.0 though.

-[]D