Will this be a significantly faster upgrade?

Boy12

NOT a new member!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi guys :)
Upgrading my Macbook Pro mid 2010 in about a week (i know multiple topics about this, but this time its final).
I have a question, though.
I will post the specs of my current MBP, and of the new desktop PC.

MBP:

Intel Core2Duo 2,4 GHZ
4GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce 320M
250 GB HDD
64 Bit (bootcamp Win7)

New desktop:

AMD FM2 A6-6400K Dual Core 3,9GHz (Turbo to 4,1 GHZ)
4GB RAM
1 TB HDD
64 Bit Win7
Will i notice any significant change of speed in some games?
Or will i kind of get the same performance? (I know, this APU isn't the greatest).
And daily normal use?
It's not meant for heavy gaming, so it's fine for me.
Thanks in advance!

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the new machine will be slightly faster, but only at certain tasks. (DDR3 VS DDR2 for RAM, newer chipset with better specs there.)

But at just game performance.... I think it will be faster but only by a couple of frames?

I only say that because of the GPU in your old system is kinda weak. If it was a better GPU your old system would way faster.

My brother has almost the same CPU/APU and my C2D 3Ghz with a Radeon 4870 spanks it when it comes to games.

For normal use like web surfing and document work the new system will be much faster than your old one.

Reactions: Boy12

Boy12

NOT a new member!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think the new machine will be slightly faster, but only at certain tasks. (DDR3 VS DDR2 for RAM, newer chipset with better specs there.)

But at just game performance.... I think it will be faster but only by a couple of frames?

I only say that because of the GPU in your old system is kinda weak. If it was a better GPU your old system would way faster.

My brother has almost the same CPU/APU and my C2D 3Ghz with a Radeon 4870 spanks it when it comes to games.

For normal use like web surfing and document work the new system will be much faster than your old one.

Thanks!
So gaming wise, it wouldn't change much?

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
you'll want to add a 4GB more of RAM and a graphic card while at it, and if you can get a A8 instead.
for daily use will be excelent but for gaming will come short mostly for the graphics, AMD APU graphics are better than Intel but not that good when you run some games, I have a A8-4500M laptop and the performance isn't that good when I force the 7640G APU, but when the 7670M do the work the performance goes way better. I have 4GB of RAM on my laptop and most of the time goes well, but if you want to play is better be above the minimum specs, I can play Borderlands 2 without many issues but Bioshock Infinite lags.

Reactions: Boy12

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks!
So gaming wise, it wouldn't change much?

I think they are pretty close in terms of performance (I am of course guessing here off the top of my head.)

You can look it up, but if you hang on a minute I am sure I can google up some sort of chart to get you a better answer. (I could be wrong and that Geforce Go 320 might be better than I am imagining.)

Edit: Here is a pretty good chart just looking at CPU performance...

http://www.cpu-world.com/benchmarks/AMD/A6-6400K.html

CPU wise new VS old is almost a wash they are nearly identical (I still think general use would be faster because of the RAM being newer and faster and then the hard drive being newer larger and faster.)

I am having a huge problem finding any sort of GPU type benchmarks for some reason :(

Boy12

NOT a new member!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Found a Chart!
PassMark score of the Radeon HD 8470D: 524
Score of the 320M: 278

Is this much of a difference?
Sorry if these are noob questions...

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a macbook pro from 2010, as well having (had) a computer kind of like the specs of your proposed desktop. Besides the macbook heating up more than a desktop would, there's really not much difference between the two.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
you'll want to add a 4GB more of RAM and a graphic card while at it, and if you can get a A8 instead.

Err...if he were to add an external GPU than an APU would be a pretty poor choice for a CPU.

If you do end up getting an external GPU, go for one of the FX series AMD CPUs, like the FX 6300.

Otherwise, regarding your original question about performance, there would be a small upgrade but probably nothing too noticeable.

Reactions: Foxi4

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Err...if he were to add an external GPU than an APU would be a pretty poor choice for a CPU.

If you do end up getting an external GPU, go for one of the FX series AMD CPUs, like the FX 6300.

Otherwise, regarding your original question about performance, there would be a small upgrade but probably nothing too noticeable.

but the FX series isn't available for the FM2 socket, that's why I suggested the A8. but now that I read again I don't see he is using a specific motherboard model, so yeah, better a FX, I have a FX 6300 OC@4000mhz and works excelent, I can play Wii and GC games with a few slowdowns(which most are for the shitty videocard I have ATM).

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Crossfire the apu with a compatible gpu for maximum performance.

...and then he'd still be left with a crap CPU that would inevitably bottleneck the GPUs. :mellow: APUs are nice for budget rigs or laptops, but for anything performance wise it's pretty much useless compared to a dedicated CPU and GPU.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol