Hacking will there be any homebrew for playing DVDs?

MADKATZ99

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I dont know what homebrew can do, and I dont really care unless it can play me some DVDs... I was thinking about it, and the wii has a dvd drive doesnt it? whats stopping it from playing movies? Surely it wouldnt be too hard for nintendo to do some extra work and make the dam thing play atleast CD's...
hate2.gif

Even the PS1 could do that.

yeah, is it possible?

Im sure nintendo didnt allow it to play dvd's just to tick everyone off. It cant be that hard...

HipN

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Its about $. Nintendo didn't want to force people to buy something they didn't, plus, basically everyone owns at least one DVD player of some sort.

PuddingSenator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont know what homebrew can do, and I dont really care unless it can play me some DVDs... I was thinking about it, and the wii has a dvd drive doesnt it? whats stopping it from playing movies? Surely it wouldnt be too hard for nintendo to do some extra work and make the dam thing play atleast CD's...Â
hate2.gif

yeah, is it possible?

Im sure nintendo didnt allow it to play dvd's just to tick everyone off. It cant be that hard...

It's not about "some extra work," it costs a large amount of money to license the software to decrypt DVD movies from the MPAA. This cost would be passed to the consumer as a higher cost per console. Nintendo figured consumers would appreciate the lower price point versus having 8 DVD players instead of 7. As for homebrew, as yet there isn't even a method for booting Wii-native homebrew on the system, only Gamecube homebrew. I'm not sure if the Mplayer port for Gamecube plays DVDs through some kind of swapping mechanism.

MADKATZ99

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I dont know what homebrew can do, and I dont really care unless it can play me some DVDs... I was thinking about it, and the wii has a dvd drive doesnt it? whats stopping it from playing movies? Surely it wouldnt be too hard for nintendo to do some extra work and make the dam thing play atleast CD's... 
hate2.gif

yeah, is it possible?

It's not about "some extra work," it costs a large amount of money to license the software to decrypt DVD movies from the MPAA. This cost would be passed to the consumer as a higher cost per console. Nintendo figured consumers would appreciate the lower price point versus having 8 DVD players instead of 7. As for homebrew, as yet there isn't even a method for booting Wii-native homebrew on the system, only Gamecube homebrew. I'm not sure if the Mplayer port for Gamecube plays DVDs through some kind of swapping mechanism.
Yeah, but cant we get some guy to hack the software to decrypt DVD mocies from the MPAA?

At the moment, I only have one dvd player, and thats going to be gone in a few weeks...
dry.gif

And no, im not going to go to the shops and buy one for $30. Thats the suckers way out.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
When datel release the action replay, maybe they'll include a DVD with that. From what I've read on wiki, you have to pay a licensing fee for using DVD. Its only about £10. I'm sure nintendo could have included it. We already have a wiimote that would be ideal as a remote control.

kristijan08

Trophies
XP
Country
wii dvd player = wear and tear on laser = lower console life, i think you're better off buying a 30 dollar dvd player, it would perform better anyway

MADKATZ99

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
When datel release the action replay, maybe they'll include a DVD with that. From what I've read on wiki, you have to pay a licensing fee for using DVD. Its only about £10. I'm sure nintendo could have included it. We already have a wiimote that would be ideal as a remote control.
thats what I wanted to hear! I hope its soon.

@ kristijan08:
Your probaly right, but its too much clutter.. If prefer it if the wii could do both
smile.gif

And I cant see how it will get wear and tear, I rarely play it, and I would only watch DVD's on the occasion anyway... but its the principle!!!
hate2.gif

Hit

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I dont know what homebrew can do, and I dont really care unless it can play me some DVDs... I was thinking about it, and the wii has a dvd drive doesnt it? whats stopping it from playing movies? Surely it wouldnt be too hard for nintendo to do some extra work and make the dam thing play atleast CD's...Â
hate2.gif

yeah, is it possible?

There already is a homebrew to play DVD's dude

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Maybe Nintendo offers a software update that allows DVD playback. For purchase via Shopping Channel. For a lot of points. Really a lot. Because the MPAA is a bunch of greedy asses. And the cost of getting a DVD decryption license would be spread across, say, 20% of Wii owners (those who would buy that) instead of every console.

But at least the player software would be well made.

DM3MD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe Nintendo offers a software update that allows DVD playback. For purchase via Shopping Channel. For a lot of points. Really a lot. Because the MPAA is a bunch of greedy asses. And the cost of getting a DVD decryption license would be spread across, say, 20% of Wii owners (those who would buy that) instead of every console.

But at least the player software would be well made.

Why would the license have to be spread out? It would be based on a "per unit" basis... for each DVD channel sold, the license would be paid... no need to pay for the license for all the consoles, with or without the ability to playback DVD's.

madlogik

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hate2.gif

yeah, is it possible?

Hit: could you please point me to that homebrew able to play DVD's?

I hope you are not refering to : http://wiihacks.blogspot.com/2007/05/regio...er-for-wii.html
I heard it's all fake..
Do you have it in your possesion / have you tested it?
I have a USA/wiikey console, any more infos would be cool m8!
thanks again.

MADKATZ99

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hate2.gif

yeah, is it possible?

I hope you are not refering to : http://wiihacks.blogspot.com/2007/05/regio...er-for-wii.html
I heard it's all fake..
thanks again.

of cause its fake, or else every woman and her cat would have it.

Hit

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
hate2.gif

yeah, is it possible?

I heard it's all fake..
thanks again.

I geus so but there was an screen of it playing Matrix

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE