Hacking Will there be a DS-slot based flashcart?

UnknownBeast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
serious answer please
smile.gif

faceless

pink sugar heart attack
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ninjads is ds slot based, just not ds card sized
tongue.gif

serious answer = nobody is psychic

it's almost guaranteed that there will be one, but we can't say for sure when and by whom...

HeinzHarald

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
it's almost guaranteed that there will be one, but we can't say for sure when and by whom...

serious answer right there
biggrin.gif

But how come there isn't one now? Is the technology not good enough?

Some fancy cracker would have to design a new "Pass". The current method only works for reading from the GBA slot (edit: perhaps the UltraPass people managed, but only with very little memory). Plus if you don't flash the DS you'd have to fit both some new kind of "Pass", and the flash card, in the tiny DS slot.

UnknownBeast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cool thansks for answering, but can you answer the 'should I stop waiting for it and buy a g6/m3/ez4 now?' question,

If yes then I have another question, are the so called 'compatible' games for them run at 100% speed or they just run, but at variating(sp?) speeds?

The Ultra FlashPass 512M thing looks fake and no one has it yet.

UnknownBeast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The G6 Lite is 4GBit , so it will only hold 512Mbytes (4Gbit div 8) right? How large are the DS games anyway? Is it enough?

Sorry for asking too much..

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
DS games are 64mbit (16mbytes) to 1024mbit (128mbytes). Most of the better ones are 256mbit or 512mbit. Yes your calculations on mbits to mbytes is corect. I will leave you to do the rest of the maths.
You can trim roms down though and replace sound files and such but this is getting harder to do and only will gain you a game or two.

My suggestion, the GBA slot carts are based on well known and tested technology, run most of the roms available (pokemon dash and ping pals being the general exception) and do so almost always flawlessly.
DS slot carts will be new concepts and technology when they arrive and are likely to be buggy as hell for a while.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What would be the advantage of a DS flashcart? I can see how they would be for the next gen DSes if they decided to remove the GBA slot, but for now why would anyone want one? As FAST said, they'd be buggy, and also they'd be hella expensive. Origional DS owners shouldn't be complaining, as the flashcarts fit perfectly in, and in a couple of months Lite owners shouldn't be complaining either, becuase we've got a bunch of Lite sized carts on the way.

illumina

Trophies
XP
Country
I read they haven't started shipping yet. According to the head guy(Eric Ling I think), they will start shipping on the 27th. Do you have pics of yours?

yuwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
developers are lazy. if gba slot works, why change it? It's better anyways becuase the catridges are bigger ==> can use external memory.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Maybe the Amiga or ST version is nice....