Question Will there be a CFW other than SXOS that allows usb 2tb HDD?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Powerful, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Powerful
    OP

Powerful GBAtemp Fan

Dec 7, 2016
    United States
    So awhile ago SXOS released an update that allowed a usb HDD to be hooked up to the switch up to 2TB. This would be the only reason for me to buy SXOS, but I just don’t see a point in buying it just to be allowed to install games on SXOS. I use ReiNX, or Atmosphere. I have my 400gb micro sd almost full, and I want to install more games that will be coming out, but the only way to do so is buying the SXOS, and using the HDD function. Will there ever be a way to do this without SXOS?

2. Mthodmn101

Mthodmn101 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Magic 8 Ball says 'maybe'

jt_1258, m4xw and maxx488 like this.
  3. AnalogMan

AnalogMan ultraSuMoFramework Dev

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    Why? We can't run digital content from HDD, no homebrew with the exception of maybe RetroArch would need vast amounts of external storage and the only real purpose the HDD has for SXOS is running XCI's directly from it and SXOS is the only CFW that can use XCI files. So unless what you're really asking is whether there will be another CFW that supports XCIs, I don't see why any would implement HDD support.

4. Freezerbomb

Freezerbomb Likes tacos

Aug 17, 2018
    United States
    Honestly, I doubt it. Anyone with the skills to add USB support is either against piracy, has better things to do, or is on TX. I think it's more likely Nintendo will add official USB support at some point.

5. Andalitez
    This message by Andalitez has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Dec 5, 2018, Reason: How about posting something actually useful?.
    Dec 5, 2018
  6. NoSoul81

NoSoul81 GBAtemp Maniac

May 30, 2016
    United States
    I'm in the same boat OP wanting SXOS just for usb support. You can get a license for like $25 or so dollars but I'm holding off to make sure it will even be necessary in the future as I have all the games I need right now on my 128 gb sd card.

Powerful likes this.
  7. stephrk398
    This message by stephrk398 has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Dec 5, 2018.
    Dec 5, 2018
  8. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    You know that their "usb support" is just an edited tinfoil usb right? And reason why we dont have the full usb is that what we have works just fine.

9. TunaKetchup

TunaKetchup GBAtemp Fan

Mar 20, 2018
    Vietnam
    As far as I'm aware you cant run NSP off hdd

SXOS is the only firmware that lets you run the XCI and thats what the hdd is for

So no, probably not until other firmware can run XCI

10. JoeBloggs777

JoeBloggs777 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    well its obivous from a couple of posts in this thread from users who are thinking of buying SX OS because it has USB support (which works really well) that what we have is not just fine to them.

11. arianadark

arianadark GBAtemp Fan

Nov 20, 2016
    United States
    buy a 2nd 400gig sd card

wiewiec likes this.
  12. JoeBloggs777

JoeBloggs777 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    or buy a Sx license and at least a 2tb external hdd for about the same price ....

13. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    And play from it in handheld mode...

Draxzelex, wiewiec and MythicalData like this.
  14. thaikhoa

thaikhoa GBAtemp Addict

Sep 16, 2008
    Australia
    Parallel evolution but in a better way. Don't just quote from your god but proof of yourself or it didn't happen.

15. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Maybe he doesn't play in handheld mode. Or he uses a USB C to USB A adapter

MythicalData likes this.
  16. Freezerbomb

Freezerbomb Likes tacos

Aug 17, 2018
    United States
    OP is asking about HDD support. That's what I mean when I say USB support. Tinfoil does not have this feature.

Last edited by Freezerbomb, Dec 5, 2018
  17. WiiuGold

WiiuGold GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 5, 2015
    United States
    Hdd is a nice.. I'm on a 10TB HDD now.

thaikhoa likes this.
  18. thaikhoa

thaikhoa GBAtemp Addict

Sep 16, 2008
    Australia
    Yes, custom xci update+dlc, it's even better :D. Moving xci from hdd to sd and vise versa is absolutely amazing.

Wheth likes this.
  19. koiran

koiran Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2018
    United States
    not exactly about piracy, but it would be pretty nice to be able to install NSP's from an external drive
    FROM not ON, as usb and network install is kind of hit or miss
    general external storage support has a lot of benefits for homebrew

Powerful likes this.
  20. Powerful
    OP

Powerful GBAtemp Fan

Dec 7, 2016
    United States
    I agree on that, I just would like more storage at home. These games aren’t really small like on the 3ds. It’s pretty easy to have 400GB full with roughly 30 games. I have an extra HDD and it doesn’t make sense why ninty wouldn’t add this support to the switch while docked. It’s not that needed for most people, but it does seem needed for people who don’t want to have to redownload/delete games all the time.

21. Tasemu

Tasemu Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Important to note that SXOS does not support playing any games from HDD with the exception of .XCI files, so if you're planning on installing nsp files to your HDD then you're out of luck.

22. FabioCapela

FabioCapela Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2007
    Brazil
    Assuming the same support level as SXOS, it could be used to install NSPs from a pendrive. With the help of a third-party homebrew it can also be used to transfer files. It's simpler than the current USB installs and doesn't require the Switch to be tethered to the computer, while being far faster than FTP-based file transfers.

If support can be extended, it would be a nifty way to handle LayredFS with larger payloads, such as when modding games with monolithic file packages. This would likely cause a crash if the USB device was removed without closing the game, though.