Hacking Will the R4 work with the new DS?

Solver

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was reading the rumors about the new DS: thinner, bigger screens, no GBA slot/compatibility. My right hinge just broke off and I was thinking about waiting for the new DS, but I am not interested if I can't use my R4 in it. And if the exting R4s stop working, how long do you think it will be before they have a new version that works with it (R5?)? Any thoughts? Also, do you think Nintendo wil replace my DS for free since this was a hinge problem? I'm having trouble finding out how to get that done.

Solver

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted opinions. I'm not familiar enough with the scene to know how quickly the companies respond, so I figured I'd see if the "experts" around here might have an educated guess. Silly me!

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, I'll make an educated guess.

If the successor to the DS supports original DS games, then yes, the R4 should work. The R4 boots in a similar way to original carts. There's even speculation that all these slot-1 flashcards use official Nintendo code. It would be difficult for Nintendo to block the carts, unless they included a checksum for all existing DS games on the "new DS." Even that would cause problems: how are games released later going to pass the checksum?

However, there are ways Nintendo can stop it, this is just pure thinking on my part.

Maybe they can buy every single flashcart out there, get checksums of the carts, and make the DS refuse to boot if it detects the carts? Another solution crosses my mind as well. The R4/M3 Simply automatically boots, skipping the firmware menu. Perhaps Nintendo can detect this and stop it in future firmware revisions? Then the DS would automatically shut down if this is detected.

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Educated guess:
It comes out late 2009 (have no idea how reliable surfer girl is)
It still has backwards compatibility (I hope!)
The R4 will still work, after all, it's just another DS cart.
The old GBA flash carts still work on the DS.

sylux92

Trophies
Website
nbcustomwebsites.com
XP
Country
United States
Educated guess:
How are the old GBA Flash carts going to work on this new system when it doesn't have a GBA Slot?

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Educated guess:

How are the old GBA Flash carts going to work on this new system when it doesn't have a GBA Slot?

I meant the reason I think the R4 will work on the DS2 because the old GBA flash carts works on the DS.
Anyways, how do you know it doesn't have a GBA slot? I doubt nintendo would do that. The gb series has had backwards compatibility forever.

sylux92

Trophies
Website
nbcustomwebsites.com
XP
Country
United States
So I was reading the rumors about the new DS: thinner, bigger screens, no GBA slot/compatibility. My right hinge just broke off and I was thinking about waiting for the new DS, but I am not interested if I can't use my R4 in it. And if the exting R4s stop working, how long do you think it will be before they have a new version that works with it (R5?)? Any thoughts? Also, do you think Nintendo wil replace my DS for free since this was a hinge problem? I'm having trouble finding out how to get that done.

Educated guess:

I meant the reason I think the R4 will work on the DS2 because the old GBA flash carts works on the DS.
Anyways, how do you know it doesn't have a GBA slot? I doubt nintendo would do that. The gb series has had backwards compatibility forever.
Read the very first post or my quote here. It is in bold: no GBA slot/compatibility.

alternate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don;t expect a new one anytime soon - but since Nintendo are releasing their own official R4-ripoff for downloads I suspect any new one will accomodate this.

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So I was reading the rumors about the new DS: thinner, bigger screens, no GBA slot/compatibility. My right hinge just broke off and I was thinking about waiting for the new DS, but I am not interested if I can't use my R4 in it. And if the exting R4s stop working, how long do you think it will be before they have a new version that works with it (R5?)? Any thoughts? Also, do you think Nintendo wil replace my DS for free since this was a hinge problem? I'm having trouble finding out how to get that done.

Educated guess:

Read the very first post or my quote here. It is in bold: no GBA slot/compatibility.

Maybe you need to read?
huh.gif

So I was reading the rumors about the new DS: thinner, bigger screens, no GBA slot/compatibility

sylux92

Trophies
Website
nbcustomwebsites.com
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
So I was reading the rumors about the new DS: thinner, bigger screens, no GBA slot/compatibility
Yes, this is all speculation. As is your saying:"Anyways, how do you know it doesn't have a GBA slot? I doubt nintendo would do that." I was simply saying that this rumored nintnendo BS has no GBA Complatibility.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: A PS3 pkg i downloaded