Will the EZ-Flash 3in1 fat work on GBA SP

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by z0wnage, Apr 8, 2011.

Apr 8, 2011
  1. z0wnage
    OP

Newcomer z0wnage Member

Canada
  2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Yes it will work although it will be kind of annoying to use. You will need to install roms on the NOR (that is the official name- some programs might use a different name)- as far as I am aware most programs only do game one at a time though. No SD card or anything on the 3 in 1.

If you want a more GBA capable cart the EZ4 is still being made and sold and aside from rumble does all the 3 in 1 does and more (the 3 in 1 was made to allow those starting out with DS slot cards an easy in for GBA games), you need a miniSD for those (micro to mini adapters do not work well so we do not suggest them). There have been a few threads on the EZ4 of late as well with lots of good info (here and in the GBA sections).

3. z0wnage
    OP

Newcomer z0wnage Member

Canada
    Yeah I looked at the IV but didn't like the fact that I need a mini because all I have is a micro and can't even find a mini with online searches. Does this connect to your computer via some kind of USB cable?

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Neither the EZ 3 in 1 or the EZ4 connect via USB cable or can even do much with one should you somehow find one (be it something like an xboo cable or a linker from the likes of the EZ1 through EZ3). I agree with miniSD being hard to find- there was another guy in a recent EZ4 thread in Canada I tried to find one for but came up with nothing.

If you are so inclined (I know you said SP but it is not that hard to mod cases) the EZ4 lite deluxe still apparently is in stock at http://shop.01media.com/info.asp?ProductID=33276 and that uses microSD.

5. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
  6. Ssseth

Member Ssseth GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm in the same situation. Recently picked up a Game Boy Micro and looking for a flash cart for it. Posting this here in case it helps anyone in the future.

It looks like to put games onto the 3in1 you need a DS with a compatible Slot 1 card (EZ5 for example). You then copy the rom from the Slot 1 DS flash cart (from it's own micro SD card) onto the Slot 2 3in1. Then you can pull out the 3in1 and use it stand alone in a GBA (or in my case GB Micro). So not very convenient to say the least.

In my case I don't even own a DS so the EZ4 is my only option. I'll try a Micro SD to Mini SD adapter for now and see how that works. Last resort, I'll spring the $20 for a Mini SD card online.

Here is the quote I got from the EZ-Flash official site, I'll post it here as I'm sure the link will change eventually.

"GBA ROM support
    The EZ5 Triple-pack features 256mbit of internal memory (NOR) to store a single GBA ROM. Savegame information is stored on the EZ5 Triple-pack and can be backed up to the EZ5 microSD card from the EZ5 kernel. Once a ROM has been copied to the EZ5 Triple-pack, it can be used as a standalone GBA cartridge."

I'm pretty sure the EZ4 lite deluxe won't fit in a GBA, GB Micro or a DS Phat. It will only fit in the NDS Lite slot. It wouldn't go far enough into the system to make a connection.

7. Oveneise

Member Oveneise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Well... AFAIK the 3-in-1 has no GUI, so you'd need to find a way to write gba games to the nor flash. If you dont have a DS, then you are SOL. I'd say go with the EZ-Flash IV. Works great for me.

8. JohnnyBlaze1986

Banned JohnnyBlaze1986 FUCK GBATEMP!

United States
    Yes, but you will need a DS or DS Lite to program the game onto the 3-in-1 and then put that into your GBA. It got tiresome for me(damn ADD), so I just broke down and got an EZ Flash IV. Also, some games DO have issues on the 3-in-1 that it otherwise wouldn't have on the EZ Flash IV. For example, Mother 3 works perfectly fine on an EZ Flash IV, but has some slowdown issues on the 3-in-1.

It does work, but it does have it's drawbacks....