Hacking Question Will Switch piracy be possible? If it is, will it work like the 3DS/Wii U

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You missed the last part saying the vita has a similar game firmware issue which last I checked is still an issue. And seemshow people have said the switch has even better security you likely won't get that anytime even remotely soon
It certainly could be possible on the Switch. Saying it isn't possible or that it's likely impossible because it hasn't happened yet on the Vita is silly.

Tapri

Forum Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It certainly could be possible on the Switch. Saying it isn't possible or that it's likely impossible because it hasn't happened yet on the Vita is silly.
We're not saying it's not possible, we're saying it's not feasible right now. Literally every title is stored with a Device ID and Rights ID, and validates everything via servers as well.
No. The console-unique cert is burned in from what I've heard. Can't just replace a file like you could on 3ds.
According to SciresM, that's correct. Every device has a device unique ID burned in at factory, which is used for every digital title download/install. Along with the unique keys being locked behind encrypted trustzone.

Tapri

Forum Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's something though. Carts are the only way as of now to dump the games, so might as well start. Is firmware also burned-in on the cartridge?

There's a firmware check on the cart before it's properly loaded; if the device is on a lower firmware without the keys to run it, then it wont be allowed to run. right now there isn't any way to spoof os versions. An update for the OS is also normally stored on the carts as well if you're below the version to bring you up to snuff to run the cart.

If you're also not aware; ninty changes the keys to run stuff every so often, which is why firmware is going to be harder to spoof without those keys. which is the main reason you can't run 4.0 games on 3.0 or below.

Last edited by Tapri,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never said it's impossible. I said it likely won't happen anytime remotely soon.
We're not saying it's not possible, we're saying it's not feasible right now.
That's not what has been argued. I've also only been arguing what's possible, not what's coming soon or even probable.
Even with that you won't be able to play any games past the first 7 months of releases unless we got the keys for them.
What worked in 3ds won't work on switch.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You can dump from a cart, but it would be difficult to turn it into a proper installable file.
Why would this be difficult?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not what has been argued. I've also only been arguing what's possible, not what's coming soon or even probable.

You really ought to read up on what we currently know on the switch. You are being far too optimistic. Do I believe it will happen eventually? Sure. But not anytime soon enough to make it worth waiting on 3.0.0 for most people.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Seriously saying "why would this be difficult" shows you don't know much about the switch's security.

Tapri

Forum Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did read this.
So then you understand that piracy (Which is topic is about) is not possible without getting unique, console specific, keys from the TrustZone? And that literally every title is stored with a device ID and Rights ID that's validated by ninty's servers itself against your account, along with a number of other anti-piracy checkpoints?

While we also may be able to dump carts, we don't have any way to install them, not because of lack of kernel access, but by how everything works.

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if they can already screw with the file system folder thing with the game stuff couldn't they already have the ability to have a laodiine piracy thing? just swap the files with with another one.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So then you understand that piracy (Which is topic is about) is not possible without getting unique, console specific, keys from the TrustZone? And that literally every title is stored with a device ID and Rights ID that's validated by ninty's servers itself, along with a number of other anti-piracy checkpoints?

While we also may be able to dump carts, we don't have any way to install them, not because of lack of kernel access, but by how everything works.
This. And there may be ways in the future, but nothing even remotely soon. I would say choose to the end of switch life cycle, maybe even after

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if they can already screw with the file system folder thing with the game stuff couldn't they already have the ability to have a laodiine piracy thing? just swap the files with with another one.
That would involve decrypted titles, which means games we already have keys for, which are 3.0.0 and lower
Plus it doesn't work like that anyway

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You really ought to read up on what we currently know on the switch. You are being far too optimistic. Do I believe it will happen eventually? Sure. But not anytime soon enough to make it worth waiting on 3.0.0 for most people.
If you believe it will happen eventually, then you're more optimistic than I am.
Seriously saying "why would this be difficult" shows you don't know much about the switch's security.
So then you understand that piracy (Which is topic is about) is not possible without getting unique, console specific, keys from the TrustZone? And that literally every title is stored with a device ID and Rights ID that's validated by ninty's servers itself against your account, along with a number of other anti-piracy checkpoints?

You both misunderstood my question then. I was contrasting downloads from Nintendo's servers vs. converted cartridge dumps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My links could be wild life in nature or wild life in unnatural circumstances lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your links are the Ukraine Russia war
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biden signed a income contract just so you can keep sending me the mutated things that you do
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That just look right with food coloring liquid running down it
    +1
    Muhahahaha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Blue omelette
    +1
    Lol Ken will never eat an omelette again lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Actually ihops omlettes still hit haven't had one in forever
    The steak one is amazing
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn near $20 so fuck them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I second that, they are good. I always get the steak and add mushrooms to it also. But yea been awhile since had myself. I used to go there every morn for coffee and breakfast, meet with my work crew, but we all stop going, too expensive.
    +1
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I'm scarred for life.
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    See you guys, I'll get lost for another month. Maybe the rest of the year.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See you tomorrow
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Peace. Take care, no more searching tonight. You gonna have nightmares.
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    See you tomorrow.
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    did she just vomit on the chat before leaving
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    why are girls doing this nowadays? is this some weird way of showing dominance?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, I put her outside though, then cleaned it up.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ah yes the unique power of girls vomiting on you
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel:
    im gonna puke
    duskfall @ duskfall: :rofl2: +2