Homebrew Will Somebody Ever Make Discord For The Wii U

Is It Possible To Make Discord For Wii U As A Wad File Without Going To Discord.com

• Yes

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters

Tek24

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello I'm Just Wondering If It's Possible To Make Discord For Wii U As A Wad File Without Going To Discord,com On The Browser. I Ask This Because You Can Get Discord On A 3DS ( Any Kind ) And It Works Fine Until You Join A Group.

Tek24

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For Discord on the 3ds also known as 3discord your 3ds crashes when you join any server

KyoIsHacking

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I don't think anyone will make Discord for WiiU ever because people aren't interested in the WiiU anymore. Though it probably is possible to make you own client for it (not sure if that's okay with Discord Terms of Service though)

jpmcruiser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why the fuck are there not any interested devs for the Wii U, apart from maybe the Switch it has the most potential for the widest range of emulators and applications. Or does the Switch really have potential for full Wii/Gamecube support?

Reactions: Filipe_Collura

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii U is a dead platform. It was a bad console that sold poorly and has a ridiculous, enormous resistive touch tablet in the box. It's slow, weak, it's best games are being ported to the Switch, and the PC exists - it can run emulators better.

Who would bother to make a Discord client for Dead Platform #2957? Is someone going to make one for the original Xbox too?

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The Wii U is a dead platform. It was a bad console that sold poorly and has a ridiculous, enormous resistive touch tablet in the box. It's slow, weak, it's best games are being ported to the Switch, and the PC exists - it can run emulators better.

Who would bother to make a Discord client for Dead Platform #2957? Is someone going to make one for the original Xbox too?

Vita is all that you said and still gets plenty of homebrew support

The Wii U may have been a console with horrible sales (like Vita), but it does not mean that it has not had its good points, there are several aspects in it that I think even better than the Switch, good and was the island where franchises like Splatoon were born

It is not because the Wii U has weak sales that it is a bad console, it is a console with a lot of potential and that little by little has brought the interest of some people, I know several people who bought the Wii U recently for being a cheap alternative to play Zelda Breath of the Wild, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and also be able to play games that were not ported to the Switch as the first Splatoon, Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3 and Xenoblade X

It was also the people who buy it for being an interesting and cheap machine for emulation, since it is possible to play from Game Cube and PSP to SegaCD and Nintendo DS on Wii U, depending on what you want, here in Brazil is worth much more buy a Wii U unlocked than a Nintendo Switch (is it an absurd price difference between 800 R$ ( Wii U ) and 2000 R$ ( Nintendo Switch ) )

My point is, it's not just why a console sold badly or failed or ''died'' which means it's a bad console with no good games or no more people with an interest in it, There are still a lot of people interested in new Homebrews for Wii U and news for the same, I could see well this in the topic of Retroarch and PPSSPP where people are waiting for updates until today

If it followed your logic, Dreamcast and Vita would not receive attention until today.

PS: Sorry for my english, Brazilian here

Last edited by Moon164,

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vita is all that you said and still gets plenty of homebrew support

The Wii U may have been a console with horrible sales (like Vita), but it does not mean that it has not had its good points, there are several aspects in it that I think even better than the Switch, good and was the island where franchises like Splatoon were born

It is not because the Wii U has weak sales that it is a bad console, it is a console with a lot of potential and that little by little has brought the interest of some people, I know several people who bought the Wii U recently for being a cheap alternative to play Zelda Breath of the Wild, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and also be able to play games that were not ported to the Switch as the first Splatoon, Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3 and Xenoblade X

It was also the people who buy it for being an interesting and cheap machine for emulation, since it is possible to play from Game Cube and PSP to SegaCD and Nintendo DS on Wii U, depending on what you want, here in Brazil is worth much more buy a Wii U unlocked than a Nintendo Switch (is it an absurd price difference between 800 R$ ( Wii U ) and 2000 R$ ( Nintendo Switch ) )

My point is, it's not just why a console sold badly or failed or ''died'' which means it's a bad console with no good games or no more people with an interest in it, There are still a lot of people interested in new Homebrews for Wii U and news for the same, I could see well this in the topic of Retroarch and PPSSPP where people are waiting for updates until today

If it followed your logic, Dreamcast and Vita would not receive attention until today.

PS: Sorry for my english, Brazilian here

The Vita is the only* actually handheld sized handheld that has dual analog sticks. Until the Switch came out, it was the only handheld of any form with non-horrible (PSP era) hardware from a major console vendor. It is interesting hardware in ways that the Wii U never was. Handhelds have long attracted hackers and the homebrew that is possible after the hardware is hacked.

The Dreamcast was a special console, with a constant flow of major, high quality releases throughout its life. Decisions Sega made prior to the Dreamcast led to the failure of the system in terms of sales, but the attention and energy and actual developer support was always far beyond what the Wii U got. I'll take one Shenmue over an endless series of boring sequels to tired franchises and typical Nintendo kiddie fare. I'll take the rest of the lineup over Bayonetta and Splatoon and Xenoblade. There is no competition in library strength - the Dreamcast had a stronger third party library on launch day than the Wii U ever had.

*from a major console vendor. Random Android handhelds from BangGood need not apply.

Last edited by blahblah,

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
I honestly don't see the point in developing a client for an IM/VoIP program that won't be able to run in the background and notify you about incoming messages and/or keep you in a call while doing something else, like playing a game. Including the 3DS.

Reactions: Aglaophotis

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Dreamcast was a special console, with a constant flow of major, high quality releases throughout its life. Decisions Sega made prior to the Dreamcast led to the failure of the system in terms of sales, but the attention and energy and actual developer support was always far beyond what the Wii U got. I'll take one Shenmue over an endless series of boring sequels to tired franchises and typical Nintendo kiddie fare. I'll take the rest of the lineup over Bayonetta and Splatoon and Xenoblade. There is no competition in library strength - the Dreamcast had a stronger third party library on launch day than the Wii U ever had.
Well that's just, like, your opinion maaan (etc etc) :P - I think you'll find that the Dreamcast still gets work done on it because of how special it is, being basically the first console to be blown open wide enough for homebrew devs to have a field day on it, and also largely due to it being Sega's last console. But mainly my first point: a community was formed around development on that machine that the Wii U simply never got, one enthusiastic enough to continue today on, even when there's so many other options to work with (something else going against the Wii U)
But aside from that you're right of course: Vita of course being a far more attractive proposition than the underpowered, unpopular Wii U (OP do a google on just how poor the CPU in the Wii U is, then notice it's also based on ppc architecture...) Frankly aliaspider and the rest of the libretro team deserve a medal for the work on Wii U Retroarch - we should just be happy we got that...

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that's just, like, your opinion maaan (etc etc) :P - I think you'll find that the Dreamcast still gets work done on it because of how special it is, being basically the first console to be blown open wide enough for homebrew devs to have a field day on it, and also largely due to it being Sega's last console. But mainly my first point: a community was formed around development on that machine that the Wii U simply never got, one enthusiastic enough to continue today on, even when there's so many other options to work with (something else going against the Wii U)
But aside from that you're right of course: Vita of course being a far more attractive proposition than the underpowered, unpopular Wii U (OP do a google on just how poor the CPU in the Wii U is, then notice it's also based on ppc architecture...) Frankly aliaspider and the rest of the libretro team deserve a medal for the work on Wii U Retroarch - we should just be happy we got that...

A community never formed around the Wii U because the Wii U was not an interesting console. We agree.

The Dreamcast was not the first console to be opened for homebrew. Many systems prior to the DC had near-zero security. Nintendo systems prior to the DS, for instance, had as close to no security as you can get. What security did exist was exclusively focused on preventing piracy on a per game level, with security checks in the game code intended to detect copier devices. But homebrew was in no way impacted; any cartridge image structured correctly would execute on the NES, the Gameboy, the SNES, the N64, the Game Boy Advance, and all the revisions of said devices.

Now, that's just as far as Nintendo is concerned. The Sega Saturn made a solid anti-piracy attempt, as did the DC. And those attempts weren't limited to just attacking piracy - they attacked homebrew as well. And Sony does the same with the PS1 - the same hacks used for piracy are the same hacks used for homebrew. Some less successful consoles of little historical note also featured more meaningful security measures than the garbage Nintendo did.

My point is this: the Dreamcast was special due to who made it and what titles were released on it. It wasn't as though the Dreamcast was the first console to have homebrew, the first console to have piracy or whatever. It was actually a not-super-great system for piracy; games for the DC were too big for Internet connections of the time to download in a reasonable time frame. You needed high quality CDRs and a high quality CDR to burn DC games. And many of the bigger titles had to be cut down to fit onto a 700MB disc in the first place.

Compare that to pirating Game Boy Advance games. A flash linker and a 8 megabyte download later and you are up and running. The passage of time changes everything.

The narrative that piracy killed the Dreamcast is a-historical. Piracy drove Sega bonkers, but it never was a real factor in software sales in the same way that Gameboy Advance flash linkers were not dragging GBA software sales down in a material way either. There were too many barriers beyond the security structure being completely defeated that served as effective blockers, stopping the broader public from downloading everything.

The only system - the only system from a major console vendor that was outright killed due to piracy was the PSP. The PSP had the perfect combo for death by piracy. Games were of a size that the typical Internet connection of the time could handle, the system required memory cards to save game progress and memory cards of sufficient capacity to fit downloaded games were official Sony products, sold at major retailers - meaning that one does not have to buy hardware from a modchip site in order to store the stuff they downloaded.

As for running those games...the actual exploits used to get your system hacked were entirely software based. No need to open the system and solder a chip in. Using those exploits ranged from costing nothing to costing a game you could buy (and resell) at Gamestop. The process was easy to complete.

There was no consequence to pirating - the PSP had an online service, but it did not have bans for piracy. Pirated games could be played online.

Pirating was materially better than buying games - for much of the systems life, it was the only way to play games without inserting a slow, loud, large UMD into the system, swapping it each game. Pirated games would run better than legitimate ones due to reduced load time and the optional ability to overclock the system to 333Mhz at the expense of nothing other than battery life.

The homebrew mattered - unlocking POPS to run any PS1 game you wanted, emulators for everything, video players that played XVID. Stuff that wasn't available in the pocket of everyone in the form of a smartphone, as (good ones) weren't quite a thing yet. The PSP offered an absolute ton of reasons to mod it and precious few to not.

Finally - and this part is critical - the system had an audience of the appropriate age and other demographics for piracy to be a thing they would know about, know how to do and maybe even be willing to do. The PSP was marketed to teens-adults. Nintendo largely makes hardware and software for children. So even when the 3DS was blown open, they still sold software. For all the R4s sold in the world, DS games still sold well.

With the PSP, it wasn't like that. You can see it in sales charts - hardware selling well, large capacity memory sticks selling well, 'exploit games' selling well, actual game-games not selling nearly at all. You can even see the trend change when a firmware version is released that major new titles require but is not cracked - this happens at least 2 times in the life of the PSP that I can remember off the top of my head - with whatever version Liberty City Stories required and with whatever version Motorstorm: Arctic Edge required. And you can see the trend going back the other way once the security is defeated.

Homebrew requires certain things. You need a user base. The Wii U didn't sell, so there wasn't much of one. The console either has to either offer no consequence to being modded or offer something so compelling that people mod it anyway. Usually that is free games. The Wii U didn't get high quality piracy until the Brazilian Exploit was released. If things were to be different, if that flaw were public right at the start of the Wii U's life, we probably would have gotten some good homebrew. But not as much as before, not as much as the Switch gets now. There are plenty of devices that you can plug into your TV and run whatever you want on, with no hacking required. Hell, lots of TVs run Android TV - you can grab your emulators from the Play Store! There's just not much of a point in developing homebrew for systems that are non-unique. Handhelds are unique. TV bound consoles aren't.

Last edited by blahblah,

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I replied a second time with an essay. Enjoy!

Reactions: mightymuffy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn