Question will resorting just nand clear traces of NSP installation?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by chrisnasah, Aug 11, 2018.

1. chrisnasah
    OP

chrisnasah Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

Quick question please, if i were to restore my nand will it also default my switch to the way it was before i installed any cfw? I am now looking to use SX OS since my dongle came this morning but i would also like to remove traces of any NSP installations i did which did not belong to me?

Any comments?

Thanks

2. TimeMaster

TimeMaster GBAtemp Regular

Jun 11, 2017
    Canada
    In theory, Yes

chrisnasah likes this.
  3. chrisnasah
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Do I need to clear any logs or such? Switch hasn't been online for over 6 months now

4. TimeMaster

TimeMaster GBAtemp Regular

Jun 11, 2017
    Canada
    Well logs are a part of your nand. So if you restore your nand from 6 months ago then none of your new logs will exist

5. CrAzYLiFe

CrAzYLiFe Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2007
    Australia
    Australia
    As long as you backed your nand up prior to any cfw, it will restore it to the state of back up. So no logs etc since then.

If your back up is of same firmware you should be good to go.

chrisnasah likes this.
  6. Unleanone999

Unleanone999 GBAtemp Fan

May 15, 2018
    Togo
    Is it a pre cfw nand back up then yes do it. Also if you had a nin account used on your switch which had saved your playlogs then avoid using it and just start everything clean.

7. chrisnasah
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Also when restoring nand
    do you mean start with a new account or not use the saves? Yeah the backup is a pre cfw.

8. Unleanone999

Unleanone999 GBAtemp Fan

May 15, 2018
    Togo
    Well yes if you had some nsp saves there but if none then I think it's fine.

chrisnasah likes this.
  9. yacepi15

yacepi15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    Germany
    I have another problem. I've made a backup before using CFW and installing a few NSPs, but after the backup, i've installed the Exfat update on OFW. If i restore the backup without the exfat thing installed, im screwed?

10. CrAzYLiFe

CrAzYLiFe Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2007
    Australia
    Australia
    If its the same firmware back up example 5.x should be fine, if your back up is 4.x or lower and you burnt your efuses using a 5.x firmware your in for a bad time.

I could be wrong here but, if you revert to pre exfat support you will only have issues reading your sd. However if your reverting to go online, im assuming you will be wanting a fresh formated sd card and you could just install the exfat support again.

^ thats only if the exfat update is loaded on the nand if its flashed to the the sd reader then im assuming tou should be still good, im not 100% on the exfat update you may want to wait for confirmation

11. yacepi15

yacepi15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    Germany
    I want to confirm that last thing. Someone knows?

12. RobCat030

RobCat030 Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2018
    United States
    I don't know, but it doesn't matter. If you're going online you can just reinstall the exfat update and then do another clean nand backup to avoid the problem next time. You'll want a freshly formatted SD anyway

13. yacepi15

yacepi15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    Germany
    Should i install it online again or manually with the forum tutorial?

14. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Think of it like this. Say you have an apple. Then you draw a picture based on that apple. Now the picture matches the apple. But now you drop the apple on the floor and it gets a bump. Your picture represents the NAND backup you made before getting the exFAT update and the apple with the bump now represents your console after installing the exFAT update. Makes sense?

15. RobCat030

RobCat030 Member

Newcomer
    May 29, 2018
    United States
    I don't think Nintendo is looking for inconsistencies in exfat update installations for ban purposes. Installing manually might be safer. But I'm just a guy with uninformed guesses.