Will replacing the lens bought from retail on a modded PS2 affect the mod?

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Thank you.^_~^_~
The Laser should be a PVR−802W and you can "swap" it.
Unfortunately this is not the "Best" Laser Modell (you can not use another Modell !).
I do not be sure it is a good Idea to replace it with an also used one.
They are cheap (around 11 $ on Aliexpress for Example) so maybe a Replace Laser is a better Idea.^_^

RobertX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, there's another problem.

I don't trust online resources; My security has been compromised when ordering online before, so I would be reluctant in repeating that experience.

Maybe a stupid question to ask: would buying a used and umodded slim Playstation 2 be a good idea, if not the best?

Thank you for your answer and I apologise for the stupid input/questions on my part.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Thank you.^_^

Of course,I understand.
You can buy a unmodded SCPH-77xxx Modell and "hope" the Laser is already good (a 50:50 Percent Chance).
As mentioned,the Laser Type is not the Best,so maybe buying an already "softmodded" PlayStation 2 is also an Alternative (FreeMCBoot).
You can test then maybe before you buy it,with Backups the Quality from the Laser.^_~

RobertX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'll take the risk of it working or not.

But if it's going to not read backup discs, then I don't want it.

Should I worry about that?

Thanks for the reply.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I may have answered you on psx place. it shouldn't affect the modchip, but sometimes the modchip is the problem (not the laser). I replaced the laser on my original ps2, which lasted about 12 years. after 2 years, it couldn't read anything again. I asked someone more knowledgeable about it, cuz I didn't want to have to replace the laser again. it's not very cost effective then. anyway, he thought it might be the modchip, so I bought a brand new everything, system, laser, and modchip (matrix infinity clone). this system is very fast.

RobertX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK, I'm not going to try anything on my current. I'm not going to run away from the problem anymore. Forgive my French, but fuck this.

I'm going to buy a new PS2 fat console, one that has a hard drive option and a model that can run Free McBoot.

I will still need help though, and I think this will be the last of my questions for quite some time.

https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/app.php/page/fmcb-compatible-ps2-models-chart

Does this page cover all of the fat models known to man?

Thanks for the answers and keep helping me for a little while.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that would've been my option as well, but I have over 300 discs. the discs I tried still worked, so I didn't want the hassle of a new hdd and getting games on to it. since I like to backup things, it seemed like a very insurmountable task. don't know much about phats, but I did own one at first until the laser died. then, I got a slim.

RobertX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Getting a modded slim would have also been my priorities, but now that I can't replace my current slim and that I am nervous about using a solder gun, that solution is a long way off.

I'm going to get a fat console and start off fresh.

There is now a way to make your own Free McBoot and not have to worry about having to buy it from some freak that sells something that is free (not complaining, but there are sites which offer these services and the only thing you have to worry about is paying for shipping, so it does seem to be boneheaded and low budget) and the instructions are pretty simple.

If you want the link, I'll PM you for it, just PM me first.

Anyhow, now I will not do further bitching, complaining, and will now get on with life.

RIP

RobertX's first PS2

Gone before its time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1