Will replacement housings for 3DS's look, feel, and fit like the original?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by CIAwesome526, Apr 18, 2015.

1. CIAwesome526
    OP

CIAwesome526 Im ugly and im proud

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    I just dropped my new 3DS XL out the car door, and scuffed up the corners. I want to know where I can buy a replacement housing for it. I also want to know if it will fit, Look, and feel like the one currently on my new 3DS Xl (minus the deep scratches of course). I think I heard of third party replacement housings for other consoles felt cheap and didn't fit together right. Thanks for da help!

2. CIAwesome526
    OP

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    Hullo?

3. SmileCitrus

SmileCitrus GBAtemp Regular

Mar 29, 2009
    United States
    I've never seen replacement housing for 3DS XL in person, but I've seen lots of replacement housing for the original 3DS and none of it looks or feels like the original. I get a fair number of consoles from a repair company that, for some reason I cannot understand, always replaces broken housing with aftermarket housing and it's always obvious in person that the housing has been replaced. Here's a comparison showing the aqua blue housing for the original 3DS, just so you can see how bad it is (aftermarket housing is on the left):
    [​IMG]
    It may look exactly like the original housing in photographs on eBay or Ali, but in person it's completely different. Blue is the worst, but even the black replacement housing is not quite the same as the original. The feel of the plastic is a bit different, the font of the ABXY buttons differs slightly from the original, and there is even a typo on the back battery cover present on all aftermarket housing I've seen for the 3DS.

Now, maybe it's possible the replacement housing available for the XL is better than the housing I've seen for the original 3DS, but I wouldn't bet on it. Go with original Nintendo housing that people have salvaged from broken consoles. It may be more expensive, but it will look original.

4. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
  5. CIAwesome526
    OP

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    Hmm.... Too bad. Is there any way maybe a can find a similar colored glossy touch up paint to fill in the hole on the new 3ds xl. I have a red one. The scratches are on the shiny bright red front cover, and the slightly darker matte corners.

6. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    I dont think there even third part housing yet for n3dxl, the regular xl it took forever for the aftermarket shells to start showing up
    even official parts are hard to come by for right now

7. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    i don't think the replacement 3ds housings were that bad, sure they are not as good as real ones... but they are perfectly good enough. -- unless you are difficult to please.

8. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    Nintendo sells replacement back plates for "New 3ds xl" which cover a lot of corners, I put a Monster Hunter silver back on my black new 3ds xl

9. AkiraX3

AkiraX3 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 31, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    Good to know!
    Thanks xile6

10. CIAwesome526
    OP

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    Yeah, but when I dropped it, the back plate was untouched :P I think now I just want some paint that will make it look better, make it red at least. As of now, my console is red with black spots.

11. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    You can also get those stick-on skins.

12. CIAwesome526
    OP

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    I know I was going to get one from decal girl. Thinking about retro horizontal...

13. SmileCitrus

SmileCitrus GBAtemp Regular

Mar 29, 2009
    United States
    I don't think they're ugly or anything. I actually think they're very attractive. I just don't think they would ever pass for original. What I really meant is just that they're bad copies, not bad products. They're very good if you want to give a console a unique, custom look.
    Oops, I must be illiterate. I didn't see that OP was referring to the new 3DS XL. I think I must have mistakenly interpreted that as "recently purchased 3DS XL". Yeah, third-party parts wouldn't be available for the N3DSXL yet.

To CIAwesome526:
    A paint job might be an option, but it might not look good if the scuffed areas are uneven in texture. I think I agree with the suggestion that the best option for now would probably be a cover or case to hide the damage.

14. CIAwesome526
    OP

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    Yeah, I wouldn't replace any parts for a whole anyway, because I know Ill replace it and then drop it again. But I still do want to paint over it, THEN put the skin on it, then I'll put a clear case over the skin. Besides skins don't usually cover one of the parts u scratched up, and they aren't deep scratches, they just messed up the paint a bit.