Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hankchill said:
cerenade said:
thanks, ill just try find a 60gb when i go to buy one

Good luck finding one. 60GB models have been out of production for a long time, and if you want one, you'll be paying big to get a used one.

from gamestation, used one 15pound more than a new 80gb, i dont mind that

DarkCamui

Trophies
XP
Country
Ferrariman said:
I has question. Why did sony drop Backwards Compatibly?

To lower producing costs and to make the PS3 cheaper. Happy I got my PS3 60GB NTSC/U console though when they still were around.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Use the below site for checking Backwards Compatibility.

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

Again, the 80GB model listed is in regard to the prior version and NOT the newer 80GB models that lack PS2 backwards compatibility completely.

In my case, I grabbed an MGS4 Bundle.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanted BC but I got a modded PS2 anyway so most likely when I get a PS3 I would still keep it hooked up anyway

probably just gonna get a 80GB (current) since there is only a bigger HDD from what I can tell from the $499 model

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really want a ps3 too but I can't find one with ps2 compatibility.....there shuld be atleast 1 that can :/

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I have a 60GB but still got a brand new PS2 Slim so I can play Japanese games (namely Taiko / Beatmania / SRT Z) on it.

And if you look at how many games are coming out for PS2 every week, I'd say dropping BC was a smart move, although not necessarily welcomed move.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how many gamecube games do you see nintendo coming with they still don't just drop gamecube compatibility don't say thats different if it is a nextgen above the one before it should definitely be able to play the last gen hardware's games

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well the ps3 was such a huge move over the ps2 in terms of hardware where as the wii wasnt
even the 360 has limited compatibility

though I would like to know what cost the ps2 emulation of the ps3 was since they already eliminated the emotion engine out of the ps3 after the 60GB, there must have been something else from the PS2 in there also...

deathfisaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The production cost of PS2 backwards compatibility hardware (Emotion Engine, Graphics Synthesizer) in PS3 would be less than a single retail PS3 game.

Will that much money make people think twice about buying a PS3? At current price, I'd say yes.

When PS3 price drops further, I wouldn't be surprised if they release a new SKU with EE/GS revived.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
deathfisaro said:
When PS3 price drops further, I wouldn't be surprised if they release a new SKU with EE/GS revived.
I would be, unless the PS2 is completely dead at that point. I remember reading an interview that they don't plan on bringing BC because it takes away from PS2 sales or something like that. I bought the MGS4 bundle for BC(and MGS4) which has about a $40 more than the new 80GB models w/MGS4.

I also remember hearing rumors that downloadable PS2 titles(if they ever decided to release them) could work on the 40GB model. That was a very old rumor though. But I'm wondering why that would that work and not with the actual discs.

QUOTE(sjones900 @ Sep 13 2008, 07:49 PM) how many gamecube games do you see nintendo coming with they still don't just drop gamecube compatibility don't say thats different if it is a nextgen above the one before it should definitely be able to play the last gen hardware's games
And I don't think it's because PS3 was a big jump in hardware from its predecessor, and the Wii wasn't. It's because they wanted to cut production costs and make money from PS2 sales. If you saw Gamecubes still selling like hotcakes, you'd probably will see Nintendo dropping BC.(well, maybe not since the Wii is already cheap)

deathfisaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
B/C doesn't totally wipes out PS3 owners buying PS2s because the old PSX/2 controller socket is gone unlike the Wii, and adapters are far from perfect.

But considering the failure of peripheral-heavy games like Taiko Drum Master or Beatmania, in North America B/C could do harm.

I made a thread here I believe, saying how the adapter-peripherals don't properly work on PS3, while they are totally fine on PC.

cerenade

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i heard rumors of the 40gb getting a software update to allow ps2 compatibility. Anyone know anything about this? Also if they did that for the 40gb wouldn't sony just do the same for the 80gb?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte