Gaming Will Pokemon Sword and Shield get review bombed?

What do you think?

• Yes

Votes: 44 73.3%
  • No

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 3 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I expect there to be a lot of outcry, but I really don't think it will matter.

It's a new Pokemon game, people will buy it just because it's Pokemon.
Putting that aside though, none of us have even played it.
For all we know it could end up being a very refreshing entry in the series.

Reactions: Xzi
D

Deleted User

no wonder why game freak's morale is so low. people keep harassing the developers and making them less motivated, which in turn makes a mediocre game without motivation.

Last edited by ,

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah there is other source of outrage, for exemple:
  • Stupid ass scenario for 10/6 Y.O kids
  • Looks like an upscaled Nintendo 64 game
  • Seriously 60$ for this?
since you can make such a better looking game, why don't you go show them how its done. we'll be waiting for you to upgrade the graphics of these titles :rolleyes: entitled brats like you are what make this world a stupid place to live.

AutumnWolf

JRPG enjoyer, Xenoblade, YS and DQ connoisseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
since you can make such a better looking game, why don't you go show them how its done. we'll be waiting for you to upgrade the graphics of these titles :rolleyes: entitled brats like you are what make this world a stupid place to live.
Ok boomer

Godamit

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Hate to be brutally honest, but this is probably the dumbest comment I've read today.

Comments like this go back to before I was half my age now, and were just as useless back then. The simple fact is that there are several examples of similar things being done better, so it most definitely is possible. If this game was groundbreaking and receiving these comments, only then would it make sense, but at this stage, that is not the case in any sense of the phrase.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I think so, but I don't care. I'm just happy they're finally putting open-world and MMO elements into Pokemon, so I pre-ordered Shield. It can't possibly be worse than Sun/Moon were.

Worst case scenario, I backed both TemTem and Monster Crown, so one of those ends up getting me hooked instead. Sword/Shield will still be a must-own part of Switch's library regardless.

Last edited by Xzi,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
where does that 'open world mmo' nonsense come from?

this game isn't going to be any more open world or mmo than any pokemon game before it.
the wild area isn't open world. it's a cage and. it's as open world as old monster hunter games. a limited 3d camera doesn't transform anything into open world

sales will be lower for this, no way they wont be.
- competitive players will likely not care about this as much, because it lacks too many pokemon. and gigamax is a dumb mechanic combining the worst aspects of both megas and z moves into the blandest mechanic imaginable. this gen, competitve will happen even more on showdown than before. also there's nintendo online now, which many despise
- graphic and open world fanatics will learn, within a couple days, that this is still not amazing graphically, that there will still be framedrops and that this is far from any kind of open world they've expected and even farther from any kind of open world they've come to know as the bare minimum in recent years.
- once more, anyone complaining about this being too easy and short will complain about this being too easy and short.
- fewer people and families will buy multiple games because now we have multiple savestates. also because of the price point of both switches and this game.
- going by the reaction to the leaks of the new pokemon, many people were quite dehyped by most things. superficially, this gen is giving us mostly ugly things.

and IF this somehow still manages to succeed to nintendos expectations, the next game will definitely be even worse.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The problem is that the more it will get review bombed the worse the next Pokemon game release will be... Because destructive negativity against something never turns into something good. It's like every war of human history. No war had ever produced something positive.

that's nonsense. you know the people making these games aren't wasting their time reading reviews online. they've got entire subdivisions to do that if they do it at all and they'll crunch this down to neutral complaints that MAYBE reach the eyes and ears of people developing these games. but i'd doubt even that.

Why are you guys assuming they won't release the missing Pokemon (and a few new ones) as paid DLC further down the line?
because they made it pretty clear this isn't going to happen. because if it did, they could've avoided this 3 month ongoing pr debacle entirely.
right now, they're already working on what pokemon not to include in the 2020 pokemon release.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
this game isn't going to be any more open world or mmo than any pokemon game before it.
What a ridiculous statement. Previous games were one narrow pathway after the next. I know the Wild Area doesn't encompass more than a fourth of the map at most, but even a tenth of it would still be more open-world than any previous Pokemon game. And all I meant in reference to MMO elements was co-op raid battles, which previous games also definitely didn't have.

I'm well aware of how "terrible and lazy" the internet expects this game to be. Like I said, I just don't care that much. I'm sure I'll have my share of fun with it, and critic reviews will probably be mostly 8s and 9s. It'll probably be somewhat samey and not deserve all that praise, but as stated previously, I've got TemTem and Monster Crown to look forward to if I want something more innovative.

Last edited by Xzi,

RuthlessTheHooman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
After seeing everything they cut, then lying about making new models and running out of memory, (The game is 10GB, from a quick google search I found that Switch gamecarts can hold up to 32GB.) framerate drops for the open world area in the trailers keep in mind, the atrocious designs for new Pokemon that have been leaked, the complete lack of any passion or creativity and so on I fully believe these games should be bombed.
Unfortunately since this is Pokemon the games will be given a pass by critics for "subverting series expectations" or whatever they'll go on about, and it will all end with the game getting a solid 91 from critics and "fans" of the series.

Yeah I'm pretty bitter about the situation, but I have every right to be.
I've supported this franchise since every mainline game Black and White and I've just seen it go so far downhill over the years, Sword and Shill'd were just the nail in the coffin for me.

Oh, and before anyone says I'm just jumping on the Dexit bandwagon, I've had concerns about this game since the reveal trailer.
Ok, rant over.

Reactions: NeoSlyde

licalica13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'll get review bombed earlier but it will recover. It is always the same cycle when a new pokemon game gets released. Just before the release when the fans get the leaked info, they go crazy saying this is the worst mainline game. However once it releases, no matter how poor the quality is or how small the content there are, they'll say this is the best pokemon game ever made and it'll sell over 10 million copies.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What a ridiculous statement. Previous games were one narrow pathway after the next. I know the Wild Area doesn't encompass more than a fourth of the map at most, but even a tenth of it would still be more open-world than any previous Pokemon game. And all I meant in reference to MMO elements was co-op raid battles, which previous games also definitely didn't have.

I'm well aware of how "terrible and lazy" the internet expects this game to be. Like I said, I just don't care that much. I'm sure I'll have my share of fun with it, and critic reviews will probably be mostly 8s and 9s. It'll probably be somewhat samey and not deserve all that praise, but as stated previously, I've got TemTem and Monster Crown to look forward to if I want something more innovative.

its still not open world though. a 3d environment doesn't make the wild area any more open world than the desert area in black/white or the sea area in ruby/saphire was open world. and it's still as much a narrow pathway as before, because you're not going to diverge from your supposed progression through the game with the wild area either.
open world means you get to decide where you go or at least you get a couple options without roadblocks on every road but one.

and aren't the raid battles more like very basic multiplayer at best too?

Konako

2B Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The game is gonna get review bombed but almost every game that comes out nowadays gets reviewbombed by people
Otherwise since people are talking about the look of the game I think this game looks awful and I'm not surprised since it's Gamefreak I always thought X/Y looked awful a bit less Ro/Sa and got beautiful at Sun/Moon and I'm pretty sure the next game after Sword/Shield will look better than that because GameFreak is really slow when it comes to updating graphics and optimization of their games.

Also remember when the devs said how Hearthome City in Pokémon Platinium was pushing the limits of the DS? And then they made Pokémon Black and White with a huge city with fully 3D buildings.
I'm not excusing them of the shitty graphics that we're gonna get on Sword and Shield but I'm sure they'll get better with time and new games

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally hope it does. This game looks so low effort it's hilarious. I have no problem with "review bombing" for legitimate complaints toward a game or company. It's really the only way these days for consumer complaints to gain visibility. Companies complicit in shoveling out garbage and/or anti-consumer products 100% deserve to be "review bombed". Sure it will probably break sales records, but if even a few people are dissuaded from buying the game or console, or begin to become disillusioned by Nintendo, I'd consider it a success.

On the other hand, I almost put the people who buy every Pokemon game in the same category as those who buy every yearly release of sports games like NBA 2K. If you blindly support a company and get screwed over, you kind of deserve it.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
a 3d environment doesn't make the wild area any more open world than the desert area in black/white or the sea area in ruby/saphire was open world. and it's still as much a narrow pathway as before, because you're not going to diverge from your supposed progression through the game with the wild area either.
I couldn't care less whether anyone else chooses to diverge from normal progression or not, personally I will be pushing my luck with the Wild Area, and just the fact that you have the option at all is what makes it open world.

and aren't the raid battles more like very basic multiplayer at best too?
Sure, it's just not a feature you see much outside of MMO games. I wasn't suggesting you get to form raid parties of 100+ or something like that. Whatever inches the series toward the inevitable unified MMORPG is good with me.

To clarify: I have nothing against anyone who's skipping Sword/Shield. At the same time, I seriously doubt GameFreak would change course even if the game received piss poor reviews and sold all of 1000 copies, so expecting to "send a message" with a boycott is probably a bit naive.

Last edited by Xzi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup