Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
rofl.gif
^^^^

the drive chip reads the first part of the disc inserted and then he says:
"......well this is a DVD disc, so it'll run at 3X..." and the drive says "....ok chief.."

When it is a WOD (Wii Optical Disc) the dialog is like this:
"......well this is a WOD disc, so it'll run at 6X..." and the drive says "....ok chief.."

If you have a ModChip, then the thing gets interesting:
"......well this is a DVD disc, so it'll run at 3X..." and the ModChip says "....What...??" *pointing with a gun at drive chip*, then the drive chip says "......Oh no forget it I didn't look at it well it is a WOD disc, so you know......6X go hurry..." and the drive says "...ok chief..."

did you like my history guys....???
biggrin.gif

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
ether2802 said:
rofl.gif
^^^^

"......well this is a DVD disc, so it'll run at 3X..." and the drive says "....ok chief.."

"......well this is a WOD disc, so it'll run at 6X..." and the drive says "....ok chief.."

"......well this is a DVD disc, so it'll run at 3X..." and the ModChip says "....What...??" *pointing with a gun at drive chip*, then the drive chip says "......Oh no forget it I didn't look at it well it is a WOD disc, so you know......6X go hurry..." and the drive says "...ok chief..."

biggrin.gif

rofl.gif

It was excellent, and answered a question that I had!
biggrin.gif

BMasterP

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ether2802 said:
rofl.gif
^^^^

biggrin.gif

LOL This is a real cool explenation. But what is the reason nintendo only allowed dvd discs to run at 3x?

SilverSurfR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BMasterP said:
LOL This is a real cool explenation. But what is the reason nintendo only allowed dvd discs to run at 3x?

To make noobs come to GBAtemp and constantly ask for a magic fix to enable 6x with a softmod.

Edit: To be honest. If it was not a known fact that un-chipped Wiis can only do 3x on a backup. I doubt a good portion of the ppl here would even notice.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well the real question can only be answered by Waninkoko and/or WiiGator:
"Do originals use the regular dvd reading commands, or do they use the dvd video reading commands if you play them with a cIOS?"

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
It would seem Nintendo was planning at some point to have unknown DVD features, then decided against that. But they didn't end up removing all the DVD commands. So hackers were able to access them.

The reason Wii doesn't play DVD movies is certainly licensing. Nintendo would've had to pay a fee on every console sold, something they've always been very hesitant to do.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Haruhi said:
It would seem Nintendo was planning at some point to have unknown DVD features, then decided against that. But they didn't end up removing all the DVD commands. So hackers were able to access them.

The reason Wii doesn't play DVD movies is certainly licensing. Nintendo would've had to pay a fee on every console sold, something they've always been very hesitant to do.

Well i say the reason why the Wii didn't get a DVD Player update is, because burned video dvds wouldn't work fine. Look at the burning problems for the backup launchers, i think people who want just watch movies on their Wii wouldn't understant why they need bitsetting for DVD+Rs and why the DVD-Rs have to be burned nearly perfect in order to be read.

Warren_303

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ether2802 said:
rofl.gif
^^^^

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif
awesome description

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
i think people who want just watch movies on their Wii wouldn't understant why they need bitsetting for DVD+Rs and why the DVD-Rs have to be burned nearly perfect in order to be read.
They arent the only ones - we have enough trouble making the noobs believe - seriously , it would be easier to prove the existance of aliens sometimes.

I think they prob scarpped the idea after having read issues on a few discs - the drive isnt really made for DVD video though it will work with most.

elfsander

Trophies
Website
microse.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
ether2802 said:
rofl.gif
^^^^

Someone should do this by means of software
tongue.gif

QUOTEdid you like my history guys....???
biggrin.gif
yeah.

Also the true reason WHY the Wii doesn't play DVD Video is indeed license costs. (playing DVD by installing the DVDx hack doesn't make your Wii play DVD, it does make your Wii play the hack that plays DVDs)

SilverSurfR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
elfsander said:
Also the true reason WHY the Wii doesn't play DVD Video is indeed license costs. (playing DVD by installing the DVDx hack doesn't make your Wii play DVD, it does make your Wii play the hack that plays DVDs)

I was gonna bring the licensing up. I think it was the same with Xbox 1. No DVD playback until you paid for the remote and that dongle, which incidentally also provided you with a DVD-Video logo that probably meant "the man" got his share of the $$$.

myers

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ether2802 said:
rofl.gif
^^^^

biggrin.gif

f###ing exellent mate lmao
laugh.gif

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
It's not really a stupid question. It's a possibility that CIOS could replace all the disk reading commands on all disks regardless of orginal or backup game.

edit: btw i also lol'd, great one ether2802!

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
ether2802 said:
rofl.gif
^^^^

biggrin.gif

That was just awesome
biggrin.gif
...made it in my sig, hope you don't mind it...

@Topic: Since the question is answered, close?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.