ROM Hack Will Ocarina of Time 3D ever get a content restoration patch?

SantaClaus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is a great remake which does (almost) everything right but falls short in a few areas.

- Censorship
- Crescent moons are removed because of their religious associations
- The music in the Fire Temple is changed due to its religious association
- Blood is green
- Blood at the bottom of the well is gone

- Lighting
- The Forest Temple, Bottom of the Well, Shadow Temple and fight with Ganon are too bright, detracting from the dark atmosphere of the original game

- Music
- Music tracks are slightly different

- Stairs
- The stairs look like shit (not a change but still worth mentioning)

The changes are discussed throughly in this video. I'd like to add that the vines which were removed from the fence in the Forest Temple should be restored.

The censorship issues could probably be quickly fixed with a few texture replacements. Not sure how exactly to change the lighting (I'm not a programmer). If the music tracks between the N64 and 3DS versions are stored in different formats then converting them will probably be a time-consuming task. Turning the stairs from a 2D texture into a 3D model is probably more effort than it's worth.

Now that Citra supports HD textures, it would be great if someone or a team of fans could develop a patch and HD texture pack to create the definitive version of Ocarina of Time 3D.

Reactions: Zense and larryd

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is a great remake which does (almost) everything right but falls short in a few areas.

- Censorship
- Blood is green

- Lighting
- The Forest Temple, Bottom of the Well, Shadow Temple and fight with Ganon are too bright, detracting from the dark atmosphere of the original game

- Music

- Stairs

The changes are discussed throughly in this video. I'd like to add that the vines which were removed from the fence in the Forest Temple should be restored.

The censorship issues could probably be quickly fixed with a few texture replacements. Not sure how exactly to change the lighting (I'm not a programmer). If the music tracks between the N64 and 3DS versions are stored in different formats then converting them will probably be a time-consuming task. Turning the stairs from a 2D texture into a 3D model is probably more effort than it's worth.

Now that Citra supports HD textures, it would be great if someone or a team of fans could develop a patch and HD texture pack to create the definitive version of Ocarina of Time 3D.

if you are dedicated enough and want this enough then look into doing it yourself or forming a team and helping

Reactions: Davey159

UltraArceus3

Living Specimen roaming the Third Dimension
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States

- Censorship
- Blood is green

- Lighting

- Music

- Stairs

You aren't the first to ask.
Places like here and here, among many others that are a Google search away, have fans asking for some sort of "uncensored patch" for the 3DS port.

Other than what those above me have already pointed out, there shows no promise of a mod, like what you're looking for, to show up anytime soon.
In fact, the modding community for OOT3D is rather barren. A quick glimpse at the game's GameBanana page shows nothing but a single reskin mod.

So the chances of an uncensored mod to appear is rather slim at best.
But hey, there's always a chance.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Considering how much attention OOT N64 gets from modders compared to many other retrogames, it's more possible than not that someone will come and make a patch with some of this stuff.

Useful information

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The blood spatters are definitely possible to restore with Citra's texture loading. I did a rough test with some stock blood images I found on google images just to see if it would look okay tiled. I think a good artist could pull off a decent looking texture.

79yhdOx.png

giYfP9q.png

The blood is not a separate texture in the 3DS port (dunno if it was on N64). You have to bake it into the environmental textures There appears to be three textures in the Well that need to be edited. And one texture in the Shadow Temple.

I didn't get to the Ganon fight yet, so I don't know if his blood can be restored. It's green ingame, fixing it will depend on whether the dumped texture is also green. If so, a simple palette swap will do the trick. If it dumps a monochrome texture however, actual hacking will be necessary.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone wants to restore the blood themselves, i'll leave the names of all the textures i've come across that need editing.

tex1_256x256_1001851932856FAE_12.png
tex1_256x256_92E6A8AAF95CD981_12.png
tex1_128x128_B5673BC9118F2D6B_12.png
tex1_256x128_32DA82A59B95F9FD_12.png
tex1_128x128_2E369933607789D7_13.png

The N64 version actually uses a separate texture for most of the blood splatters (except for the fifth one), so that texture is applied on top of other environment textures. The 3DS is missing this extra texture entirely, so you have to bake it into each one instead. Thankfully it seems to look perfectly fine when done in this way. And as far as i can tell, doesn't cause issues elsewhere in the game. It's possible I missed some others, but these seem to be the main culprits.

Unfortunately, the bloody spit used in the Ganon battles cannot be restored via simple texture editing. The texture used for this dumps as a colorless white pattern, not even green as it appears in the game. It's actually used extensively throughout the game for puffs of dust and such. The game can dynamically apply different palettes to it depending on its use. Tinting it red also doesn't do anything. It will take someone with rom hacking experience to be able to restore the red palette. I'd assume this is possible (Majora's Mask 3D has had some incredible hacking done to it), but I have no clue how myself.

Last edited by granville,
Reactions: Zense

TopCape

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

I created a mod that replaces the Fire Temple music with the original one (with tiny side effects):
Video preview of it working:

(Since I just made this account I cannot post urls but the mod is in gamebanana with /sounds/51786 as the url's end)

Last edited by TopCape,

TopCape

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The video on my previous message seems to change for some reason, it says its the video on the top of the post when in reality it isn't. Don't know what that's about.

Last edited by TopCape,

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Personally, I don't care about "Restoration"; the excellent Majora's Mask 3D one included button combinations to access the Gear and Item screens, as well as the Ocarina (and its transformations) and I and II on the touch screen.
Having button combos for those in OoT3D would be amazing by itself. If I knew how to hack the game to add 'em in, I definitely would.

Nutez

Assimilator of Lumas
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally, I don't care about "Restoration"; the excellent Majora's Mask 3D one included button combinations to access the Gear and Item screens, as well as the Ocarina (and its transformations) and I and II on the touch screen.
Having button combos for those in OoT3D would be amazing by itself. If I knew how to hack the game to add 'em in, I definitely would.
You should be able to replicate most of the button combos with Kartik's amazing rehid. There already some premade remappings for OoT3D shared, or you could generate your own custom one. Enjoy :) .

Last edited by Nutez,
Reactions: RichardTheKing

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You should be able to replicate most of the button combos with Kartik's amazing rehid. There already some premade remappings for OoT3D shared, or you could generate your own custom one. Enjoy :) .
Does that work for Citra? I have posted on that thread too, but got no response thus far...I wonder if there's a Citra-compatible method out there.

Nutez

Assimilator of Lumas
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does that work for Citra? I have posted on that thread too, but got no response thus far...I wonder if there's a Citra-compatible method out there.
No, unfortunately not, since it is for the hardware... You're best bet might be to try and develop your own cheat codes. If you were able to find the value(s) that changes when you open the menu or use an item button then you could make that into a cheat with a button combo trigger.

Edit: Looks like it might already be a Citra feature to map buttons to touchscreen? Or try something like this to map over the emulator?

Last edited by Nutez,
Reactions: RichardTheKing

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over