Hacking Will Nintendo unbrick 3DS consoles for free ?

Green Cat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You could always try saying that it was a failed update, that could lead to a corrupt NAND.
You could say something like "My 3DS was stuck on update screen for over 10hrs so I just switched it off and got this error, HALP!" or something.
It's not like you have anything to lose, if they decide not to repair it you are not any worse off.

Reactions: cearp

3bbb7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo probably won't fix it if you ship the 3DS with the Gateway clone card in it !
Otherwise, it might just take too much time to diagnose the problem ... be easier for them to just ship you a new 3DS.

i... i thought shipping my broken ds with a flash cart was the right thing to do? why would you not want them to know you pirate games?

depends on the information embedded in the error code. if the bricks happen tho show an error code which is unique to them they will pull their "sure we'll fix it, 200$ please" bullshit like they did for the wii (see http://hackmii.com/2009/04/warranty/)

just read off a code from the site and then ship it in.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Probably with the latest firmware at the time of being serviced in the repair facility. I highly doubt they'd leave it at a lower firmware since they would be making you a favor ("We updated you to the latest firmware so you can enjoy all the great new features of the 3DS!").

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
"hi, yeah is this the nintendo customer support hotline?
cool, ok well i have a 3ds and it is not turning on, because i used a flashcard, so i could play downloaded games.
i know i am not allowed to and if i do my warranty is void (right?) but i didn't want to pay for games.
i got a cheap clone flashcard since i didn't want to support the team who worked on the card, just like i want to be cheap by not paying for my games.
but, the card bricked my 3ds.

can you fix it for free?"

lol, if you lie you might get somewhere... but this is not nintendo's responsibility, it's yours

orcid

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I think it depends on how many 3ds are actually bricked and sent to nintendo. If there are only a few they will charge a little bit. If they get many bricked 3ds like they got hacked and bricked Wiis, they will charge nearly the amount of a new 3ds.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Don't the bricked 3DS's have a specific code on the blue boot screen that tells Nintendo the exact problem? If this is the case, then good luck getting it fixed.

krisztian1997

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Don't the bricked 3DS's have a specific code on the blue boot screen that tells Nintendo the exact problem? If this is the case, then good luck getting it fixed.

Not only that they have a specific code on the blue screen, their eMMC controler is also modified by the bricking code.

Reactions: Huntereb

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it depends on how many 3ds are actually bricked and sent to nintendo. If there are only a few they will charge a little bit. If they get many bricked 3ds like they got hacked and bricked Wiis, they will charge nearly the amount of a new 3ds.

Or they might flat out refuse to do anything with it at all, saying because of "unauthorized modification" it is unrepairable, not just a voided warranty.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Considering the fact that the brick leaves NAND blank, or rather, borked almost beyond repair, Nintendo won't know any better - it could've been the effect of a flashcart, it could've been a factory defect. Unless they'll look into NVRAM, which they won't do since it's work, they might just bin the motherboard and put a new one in.

Reactions: cearp

samljer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
People should know the risks, it's their responsibility; Nintendo shouldn't be held accountable for other peoples' actions that lead to said brick.

^ this

furthermore if whats being said is true, and only the rip off clone cards are causing the brick ( and modded launchers )
then people are deserving what they get.
Gateway said, do NOT use modded launchers.
so technically gateway isnt responsible either.

Even the ripped off R4I cards had a ton of problems
and in your quests to save $10 you lost your 3DS.

I dont mean to sound like an asshole here, but cmon...
Pay the cash for the real deal and this shit wont happen.

the other teams have NO idea whats going on, its obvious, otherwise
they wouldnt be cloning hardware and hacking launchers - they would make thier own

eg:
Would you knowing buy your used ipod from apple?
Or would you buy it from a guy on ebay saying he fixed it and it should work as intended...
cuz thats exactly what the clone buyers have done.

no pity.
end rant.

Reactions: renes2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Just slow the song down and boom, instant meme +1