Will Nintendo unbrick 3DS consoles for free ?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by osirisjem, Jan 15, 2014.

1. osirisjem
    OP

osirisjem Wii U: Y U No Sell ?

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
    It should be easy for Nintendo to know if a 3DS was bricked because of a bad clone card.
    Anyone guess what Nintendo will do ?

Will they fix it ?
    For Free ?

Will they update the 3DS firmware from 4.x to the latest ?

2. Plunt

Plunt GBAtemp Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Canada
    Ontario
    I read somewhere else (can't recall where) someone contacted Nintendo about the brick and their response was along the lines of the brick was caused by using a pirate cart which is not supported by Nintendo therefore they will NOT fix your 3ds

3. porkiewpyne

porkiewpyne Report-er

Global Moderator
    Jun 8, 2008
    Australia
    I doubt they will even fix it because the problem was caused by a non-approved third party accessory, much less doing it for free.

4. Keylogger

Keylogger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 3, 2006
    France
  5. osirisjem
    OP

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
    Nintendo probably won't fix it if you ship the 3DS with the Gateway clone card in it !
    Otherwise, it might just take too much time to diagnose the problem ... be easier for them to just ship you a new 3DS.

6. sonic2756

sonic2756 Friendly Neighborhood Wolf

Feb 3, 2010
    United States
    Denver, CO
    Pretty sure you could call nintendo and pull the "It just broke" line. If you don't mention anything about flashcarts, you should be fine.

Huntereb likes this.
  7. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    People should know the risks, it's their responsibility; Nintendo shouldn't be held accountable for other peoples' actions that lead to said brick.

bezem and crazyace2011 like this.
  8. bkifft

bkifft avowed Cuthwaldian

Jun 10, 2010
    Gambia, The
    depends on the information embedded in the error code. if the bricks happen tho show an error code which is unique to them they will pull their "sure we'll fix it, 200$ please" bullshit like they did for the wii (see http://hackmii.com/2009/04/warranty/)

9. Aurora Wright

Aurora Wright GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 13, 2006
    Italy
    If NAND is bricked, unless they have a way of booting from SD or something (they didn't on the Wii) they can do nothing but replace the console (and use its pieces to refurbish other ones). Of course, you have to NOT mention flashcards, or ship the console with a flashcard or without formatting the SD card first (to remove the emunand partition and the launcher.dat). Sadly, I heard that they DO send back consoles on the latest firmware.

10. sonic2756

sonic2756 Friendly Neighborhood Wolf

Feb 3, 2010
    United States
    Denver, CO
    Well I highly doubt nintendon't has already informed their repair centers about this, so if you do happen to have a bricked console, I'd send it in ASAP. If using a flashcart is that important you could always buy a 4.5 3DS, shove the updated/repaired one in the 4.5's box, and take it back.

11. juins

juins GBAtemp Fan

Sep 13, 2003
    maybe they have a secret button combination while loading like savemiifrii or something like that

12. Aurora Wright

Aurora Wright GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 13, 2006
    Italy
    savemiifrii was a System Menu feature. This meant that the Wii could boot from NAND up to the System Menu. bushing & team twiizers/failoverfl0w confirmed that they had no way to boot the console if the NAND was bricked.

13. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    If I had a bricked 3DS and this were the only price I would need to pay to get it fixed, I would gladly accept it and send Nintendo a bunch of flowers for doing so.

2ndApex, tronic307 and porkiewpyne like this.
  14. Sheimi

Sheimi A cute Vixen!

Oct 22, 2009
    United States
    Just say you were playing your 3ds the night before and you turned it on this morning and the Blue Screen popped up.

15. CIH137

CIH137 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 9, 2013
    United States
    I'm sure they would update it if they did fix it I would think, but they may not.

16. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    if you are cheap, your best bet is to buy a new one, put the bad one in the box and get a refund.
    i would not think for a second that nintendo would fix your 3ds, either free or for a charge.
    they warn you about this stuff in the manual (i guess, ha)

17. mijuu

mijuu GBAtemp Fan

Jan 9, 2010
    Its a roll of the dice whether they fix it or not. If you want to inprove your chances of them fixing it, ensure the device does not turn on, at all.

18. Rinth

Rinth GBAtemp Regular

Oct 18, 2013
    New Zealand
    Unlikely, since you breached the warranty. You can try to pretend that the brick wasn't caused by a flashcart, but they most likely won't buy it.

19. osirisjem
    OP

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada

Won't it take a fair amount of work to diagnose the bricking was caused by a flashcart ?
    Why would nintendo take that much time to handle such a small problem ?

20. Rinth

Rinth GBAtemp Regular

Oct 18, 2013
    New Zealand

The people at Nintendo aren't idiots. They should know everything that is going on around GW, R4, etc. Don't expect them approaching a flashcart brick like a regular brick.

gamefan5 likes this.