Hacking Will Nintendo repair accidently damaged consoles?

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
At work today and my colleage brought in a DSlite that he bought from Play Asia a year ago but spilt coke on it. He managed to clean everything up as possible but unfortunately when turning it on it flashes a white screen for a second then switches off.

I have no skills to open it up to have a look inside to try and fix and so the only thing I suggested was, "how about if I try and send it to Nintendo?"

Now, will Nintendo bother repairing import DSlites even though on the Nintendo Repair Centre site it had an option for "non-european" DSlites but the downside is that it involves having to send emails instead of the usual way. Also, is proof of purchase still essential to getting it fixed or will I get charged a lot for it to get fixed?

Kittymat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A lot of sites will repair it in the Uk - including Nintendo - but be prepared for a big bill £50 + P&P is a usual figure. As it is liquid damaged most will just change the board. May be worth selling on eBay, list as suffering from liquid spill, inc as much info as possible flashing screen etc should make £30-40 + P&P and then get another

kevenka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well...I am pretty sure they'll fix it, but warrenty probably won't cover it. (they'll ask for the serial code for proof of purchase). Now, as to what I suggest, check how much it costs to fix it and compare it to how much it cost for a new one instead aswell.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Was it ever registered?

Go to the Nintendo website, and try typing in the serial number to see if it's in warranty, or call their toll free number (not sure what the equivalent of 1-800 is in Europe), and ask a rep to see if it's still in warranty status.

If all else fails, you'll have to buy new screens and replace them yourself, which isn't really that hard.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They will fix it, but at your expense -- even if it's not a Euro DS.

The fixing usually involves receiving your old unit, and sending you another one (same type & colour). Rarely do they replace the parts in your own machine and send it back -- they usually only do that when they don't have an equal unit available to send out right away.

If your DS is under warranty, that warranty still doesn't cover accidental damage.

Now, don't spill coke on your DS in the future!
tongue.gif

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
They will know when its opened like all hardware /pcb boards they have tiny stickers on them that change color (White to Red) when in contact with water this is how they can tell!

same thing with mobile phones and mp3 playersetc if its been soaked or got really wet the stickers will change and often result in them refusing repair under warrenty!

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just checked the website for repair price list that Nintendo charges. £30-£60 is the region but I don't think that any amount of lying would help get this replaced if they do find out with the stickers if it got water damaged

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?