Hacking Will Nintendo repair a modded Wii (off warranty)?

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My Wii is modded and I've gone to Nintendo's site to see about my repair options. Turns out my warranty is expired but they can repair it for $75. If I send in a Wii with a chip in it, what will they do with my system? Will they still repair it and send it back for $75 with the chip intact? Will they repair it but remove the chip? Will they just return it to me unfixed? Will they toss it in the trash and press charges? Anyone have any idea or even an educated guess?

Thanks

tedmg09130913

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People report that you will get the wii back unmodded. If you want to keep the modded drive you might buy a unmodded drive and install it into the wii.

judgedee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tedmg09130913 said:
People report that you will get the wii back unmodded. If you want to keep the modded drive you might buy a unmodded drive and install it into the wii.

he might as well buy another wii then.

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
SlyGuy if you are Canadian then you are not breaking any laws by having a mod chip so don't worry about that. However I would take out the chip before you send it in because Nintendo will probably remove and destroy it.

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
In my experience, they'll send you a refurb (unmodded) wii. This may have a different drive chip (almost certainly d2c2/d2e these days) so you may need to buy a different chip and have it installed.

sio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I live in the UK and Just sent my ex-moded Wii to Nintendo.

The problem was an overheated GPU (Black dots on screen). I bought the Wii on launch day so it is well out of warranty but Customer services have just confirmed that they will fix it for free and they are sending me a Wii back.

Does anyone know how they repair a faulty GPU? Will I just get a replacement DVD drive (that’s were the faulty GPU is right?) or will they transfer my data onto a completely new Wii system?

I hope I don't get a D2E epoxy
cry.gif

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
Or do a wired install using the underside points.

It's not impossible, but it makes it more tricky! And rules out clips.

mastermanna123

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
i sent my wii in with a wiikey.

You will get back a brand new Wii.
Pro: out of the box quality!
Con: its new...no modchip...never been opened....

B4 u send it in, just say you got it used, and had no idea if any questions come up.

oligore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
It seems unlikely they would send a new one out of warranty unless they charged you the price for the new one because they would lose money.

sio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll keep you all posted on what Nintendo send back to me but it may take a week or so.

Jockel

This is where you're wrong, kiddo
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
the green pixels are due to a overheated GPU.
turn off the wii connect 24 on standby and you won't see them again.
at least that worked for me.

sio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
They replaced everything but the DVD drive
smile.gif
. But I've lost all my friend codes etc..... and I can't change the Miis stored in my WiiMotes
hate2.gif

Edit: I found a way of chaning my old Mii's by using a mixture of Mii Extractor, Mii editor (Chage the Numbers associated with the identity of the Mii creator) then Mii Installer.

Now I have the tricky job of putting the WiiKey back in because I messed up some of the pads taking it out in a rush.

Edit: it was a bit scary but I got the WiiKey back in on all solder points. Job complete
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftyFz0yBxj8