Homebrew Will Ninjhax ever work again for Ver. 9.4?

disengage_0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I stupidly updated my 3DS some time ago and I miss playing SNES games on it. Do you think they will ever release a ver. 9.4 compatible version of Ninjhax?

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
If by "they" you mean smea, then probably not. He's not expressed any desire to go exploit hunting again. Someone else might find a new exploit eventually.

9.4 is already hacked, but only privately; there's a still-unpatched process9 exploit mentioned on 3dbrew.

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that gives me hope. In the meantime, are there any mods or hacking I can do without owning a Gateway/R4 card?
If you had
Well that gives me hope. In the meantime, are there any mods or hacking I can do without owning a Gateway/R4 card?
I might be lying, but I think you can install CFW with a DS Flashcart (I bought mine for $1.36).

D

Deleted User

If by "they" you mean smea, then probably not. He's not expressed any desire to go exploit hunting again. Someone else might find a new exploit eventually.

9.4 is already hacked, but only privately; there's a still-unpatched process9 exploit mentioned on 3dbrew.

That's not entirely true, the arm9 exploit still exists on 9.4, but there is no way to trigger it on 9.4 since memchunkhax is patched. So, 9.4 is still UNHACKED, even privately.

Reactions: keyra

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
That's not entirely true, the arm9 exploit still exists on 9.4, but there is no way to trigger it on 9.4 since memchunkhax is patched. So, 9.4 is still UNHACKED, even privately.
memchunkhax was fixed at 9.3, but they've got unnamed Process9 exploit listed as having been tested on 9.3, so they probably have a seperate ARM11 kernel exploit.

D

Deleted User

I am afraid not this time. Looking at the 3ds exploitability from a memory layout perspective, all the possible vulnerabilities have been exhausted with 9.2.
There's probably never going to be a follow up to the 9.2 exploit

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I am afraid not this time. Looking at the 3ds exploitability from a memory layout perspective, all the possible vulnerabilities have been exhausted with 9.2.
There's probably never going to be a follow up to the 9.2 exploit
If that's the case, how come Regionthree works on 9.4? Granted it's only userland, but in most cases that's enough for homebrew.

D

Deleted User

You said it yourself, it's a userland exploit. It is not a kernel exploit, so this can't ever do what GW does with their arm9 tricks.

To elaborate further on this matter: the browser exploit GW uses is still not fixed in 9.4, that's why it works up until 9.4.

Memchunk hax is fixed in 9.2 -- that's why GW only works up to 9.2

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You said it yourself, it's a userland exploit. It is not a kernel exploit, so this can't ever do what GW does with their arm9 tricks.

To elaborate further on this matter: the browser exploit GW uses is still not fixed in 9.4, that's why it works up until 9.4.

Memchunk hax is fixed in 9.2 -- that's why GW only works up to 9.2
Oh, I know it's userland, that's not my point. Ninjhax doesn't require kernel level access though - userland is more than enough for homebrew. We're not talking about Gateway, we're talking about Ninjhax, or have I missed an important part of the conversation? :P

Reactions: SLiV3R
D

Deleted User

Oh for ninjhax, the ro module was updated on 9.3 with more sanity checks, so the payload that gspwn writes to it will not be properly accepted anymore by ro (it will just panic).

So yea.. not gonna happen for 9.3 or higher either

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah anyone who says there will "never" be another ARM11/ARM9 exploit doesn't know how hacking community works. It may be weeks, months, or years, but there will always be another exploit. Look at iPhone hacking: it's been almost a decade and iOS is very mature in terms of security (it has tons of security features not currently found on the 3DS yet) and people are still jailbreaking it. It all depends on the time and money needed to find these exploits and I think GW is a very profitable business.

Reactions: SLiV3R

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended