Will it ever be possible to observe the past as though you were in a pensieve?

Reiten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That depends on what you mean exactly.
As you are using the word pensieve, I guess you mean observing someones memories. It's been a while since I've studied up on the brain, so I might be misremembering stuff(kind of ironic, given what I'm writing about) or it might be outdated, but I recall reading studies that suggest that we don't really forget stuff, it's just that we don't have access to it anymore. So given enough research we might obtain a way to view memories. Thought the issue of how reliable the memories are still remains, as stuff tends to get simplified and other processes might muddle the memory. Of course, there is more to it, but I don't want to write a wall of text and don't think I know enough to do a good job of it.

The other option would need some form of time travel, as to the possibilities of that, I'd rather not speculate, as it requires an understanding of physics that is hard to simplify.

Last edited by Reiten,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The human eye/brain/memory setup is not a camera*, and is not 360 degrees (not to mention people might not be at all events) or full light spectrum. Pending us replacing eyeballs with cameras then no chance of some kind of magic or chemical memory extraction that does not suffer distortion, some chance of a memory extraction though. Indeed I would actually rather go off forensics/archeology, and contrasting multiple written records for many things.

Ignoring loss of light as a potential butterfly effect your better chance would be to figure out how to make a portal to at least look through time.

*choice video

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.