Gaming Will I need to update my Wii to play Zelda legit?

blueoakleyz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't updated my Wii in like a year.. so I was wondering if I'd need to update it (with any custom IOS or whatever they call it) to play a legit copy of Zelda?

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Should be fine, since Zelda was a release title.

Oh, you mean the new Zelda? Well that's just stupid; nobody knows the answer because it's not out yet.

Reactions: 1 person

TudorBlue

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I haven't updated my Wii in like a year.. so I was wondering if I'd need to update it (with any custom IOS or whatever they call it) to play a legit copy of Zelda?

Good question. Im on 4.1E and have priiloader installed and have got this on pre order and dont want to have to update just to play this game. I used maufrogs tut to update my 4.3E will which is now on 4.!E so if I have to update, I could brick my wii. Time will tell though and Im sure the wii devs wil bring out a fix...........hopefully

Augusta

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Would AP still affect those who bought the game but running it under XX /modded/cIOS/system menu?

Zelda's coming out in a few weeks. Will I still run into problems like these even with the official disk inside because the wii's modded?
Like did people who bought kirby and played it on a softmodded wii still experience AP issues or is that only the case when you play it pirated?

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Would AP still affect those who bought the game but running it under XX /modded/cIOS/system menu?

Zelda's coming out in a few weeks. Will I still run into problems like these even with the official disk inside because the wii's modded?
Like did people who bought kirby and played it on a softmodded wii still experience AP issues or is that only the case when you play it pirated?

If your Wii is out-of-date and zelda requires newer files, its very likely you will run into problems.
Of course, there are always ways to bypass it, but it still requires some work on your end (updating the softmod, for example).

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

Oh, you mean the new Zelda? Well that's just stupid; nobody knows the answer because it's not out yet.
I don't see how they could force an update. It goes against the whole design. I guess maybe they could check IN-GAME if you have 4.4+ (or whatever they use as an update), but that is easy to get around by modifying the version number.

lakaiskateboarding

Trophies
XP
Country

That really depends on the AP they implement. Maybe they scan your firmware (if that is even possible, because if it were they would have probably already done it). I think sneek users are pretty safe with new stuff.

My advice is just to buy the game, leave it sealed (collector's value) and download it and play it from a hard disk.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't see how they could force an update. It goes against the whole design. I guess maybe they could check IN-GAME if you have 4.4+ (or whatever they use as an update), but that is easy to get around by modifying the version number.
Read the OP's question again - he's not just asking about updating the system menu, he's asking if he would have to change anything at all on his wii. They could quite easily make this game use a completely new IOS with new modules and interfaces that nobody has ever seen before (ala IOS58) in which case all current cIOSes would be useless. It's a stupid question because nobody can say what it's going to use until it's out.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Read the OP's question again - he's not just asking about updating the system menu, he's asking if he would have to change anything at all on his wii. They could quite easily make this game use a completely new IOS with new modules and interfaces that nobody has ever seen before (ala IOS58) in which case all current cIOSes would be useless. It's a stupid question because nobody can say what it's going to use until it's out.
A cIOS isn't needed to play it via disc, and any new IOS could be grabbed from the update partition itself. So yes, you will probably have to update something, but I don't see it being the SM.

In short, you are right though.

blueoakleyz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes, of course I mean the new Zelda. And no it's not stupid.. if someone has played a recent game that required an update that would be an indicator if I need to update

anxion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys I have a question sort of related to this topic.

I haven't done anything to my wii for a long time and It's still running 3.1E

Of course the game isn't out yet and it's hard to tell what will happen, but I'm planning on buying it legit too. Question is if you recommend me perhaps updating the wii with some newer stuff to guarantee I won't sit around and fight with this stuff when the game is out!

Also time for an irrelevant question - I want to install priiloader, but they don't recommend doing it if you have modified ios's. I remember installing different IOS's back in the day (running IOS 37 v.15.29 right now) so I can't tell if I installed any modified stuff.

I ran syscheck and it's saying: (syscheck shut off my wii during the check, but I am still able to find the report on the root of my SD card.)

Found 24 IOS on this console No IOS Stub on this console

Thanks.

ground

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey guys I have a question sort of related to this topic.

I haven't done anything to my wii for a long time and It's still running 3.1E

Of course the game isn't out yet and it's hard to tell what will happen, but I'm planning on buying it legit too. Question is if you recommend me perhaps updating the wii with some newer stuff to guarantee I won't sit around and fight with this stuff when the game is out!

Also time for an irrelevant question - I want to install priiloader, but they don't recommend doing it if you have modified ios's. I remember installing different IOS's back in the day (running IOS 37 v.15.29 right now) so I can't tell if I installed any modified stuff.

I ran syscheck and it's saying: (syscheck shut off my wii during the check, but I am still able to find the report on the root of my SD card.)

Found 24 IOS on this console No IOS Stub on this console

Thanks.
You can better install IOS 58 if you don't have it already. and then use modmii to hack you're wii and tell it that you're wii is a virgin.

Tonindo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't updated my Wii in like... I don't even know. I'm still on 3.2E. Thing is though, that I have a chipped Wii with Wiikey (the first one), and I always run my backups trough Gecko OS. So far every game has worked that I've tried. I'm sort of nervous though when it comes to Zelda. I'm seriously considering buying a new clean Wii just to play this game, if it doesn't work on my chipped one.

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't updated my Wii in like... I don't even know. I'm still on 3.2E. Thing is though, that I have a chipped Wii with Wiikey (the first one), and I always run my backups trough Gecko OS. So far every game has worked that I've tried. I'm sort of nervous though when it comes to Zelda. I'm seriously considering buying a new clean Wii just to play this game, if it doesn't work on my chipped one.

As long as you install the proper IOS you should be okay. Use DOP-Mii to get the IOS versions that you're missing - and if SS comes with a new one, rip it from the update partition and install that one too.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country

That really depends on the AP they implement. Maybe they scan your firmware (if that is even possible, because if it were they would have probably already done it). I think sneek users are pretty safe with new stuff.

My advice is just to buy the game, leave it sealed (collector's value) and download it and play it from a hard disk.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible unless the official SDK doesn't support ES_GetStoredTmd and related functions. Of course, I would expect USB loaders (or possibly cIOSes) would be updated to respond to ES_GetStoredTmd with a very high version number regardless of what was asked of it.

Eight Bit Alien

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that everyone has an image of this, do we have an answer to the question yet? I'm gonna be getting a retail copy within the next week or so, and I'm curious to know if I'll have any issues playing the disc, or if I should create my own backup....

EDIT:

I believe I've discovered an answer to my question here http://gbatemp.net/m-ask?action=question&id=3342&title=will-retail-discs-skyward-sword-kirby-return-dreamland-work-wii

apologies to mods if this post was in violation of any rule/general conduct, things seem to be in quite a state of flux around here lately :lol:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs