Will i lose my e-Shop games if i downgrade?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by manlego, Jan 23, 2016.

1. manlego
    OP

manlego GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2009
    Brazil
    First of all, i am sorry if this is a well known situation, but i didn't find anything on this matter so i'm going to ask here anyway.

I'm on 10.3, and have bought a lot of e-Shop games, i also have ironhax and some other entrypoints, and i've been meaning to downgrade to 9.2 for quite some time now, but since there is no way to make a nand backup without a hardmod, i am afraid to lose all my games and their save files in the process.

So i'd like to know if there is a way to keep them, even if they are on emunand or something, after i downgrade.

Thanks in advance.

2. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    Nope. I've installed lower versions of emunand and still all my games were there. It completely destroyed my save file for smash though.

3. CheatFreak47

CheatFreak47 Complex Donut

Oct 11, 2011
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    I had spent 400$ in eShop games on my 3DS i downgraded
    Still have eShop Access, should be fine, as long as you don't brick the thing, but even then you could get a new unit and then use a backend transfer via a phone call to get your games back

I'm pretty sure everything should be fine.

4. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    My eshop virtual console and similar shop titles were gone. (But not all of them.)
    However if you're more worried about the saves, there are homebrew applications that can backup saves from most games, and then you can import them back in once you've installed them again (If they disappeared after downgrade).

5. thebestdogs

thebestdogs Member

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2015
    United States
    Bet on losing your games but it doesn't matter if you are able to find rips of them online. You bought the game and now you can actually own it forever. If you can, backup your saves just to be sure.

6. Hyura

Hyura GBAtemp Fan

Mar 23, 2013
    Brazil
    Hey, I was in the same situation. I downgrade and got rxTools running on the latest emuNAND without losing anything.

But I'd recommend backing up your saves with svdt.

Just go for it ;]

7. MelonGx

MelonGx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 8, 2009
    China
    If bricked, then yes.
    If not bricked, then no.
    Downgrading 9.3-10.3 to 9.2 has a random brick rate.
    Only hard-NAND-backup is safe.

8. zetaPRIME

zetaPRIME Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2015
    United States
    The only thing I lost was home menu layout (because 9.2 doesn't know what to do with the format change introduced by badges and all) but that's easy enough to redo!

9. manlego
    OP

manlego GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2009
    Brazil
    Okay, im gonna trust you guys, lets hope im not going to lose those games!

10. manlego
    OP

manlego GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2009
    Brazil
    Also, sorry for the double-post, but what i should do to have everything setup correctly after i downgrade? Like the NNID, Emunand and stuff like this. I'm paronoid trying to do everything right lol

11. KaleoOmega

KaleoOmega I just don't know what to do with myself...

Apr 17, 2013
    Brazil
    I have 23 retail titles in digital version (my entire legit collection is digital), plus around 20 eShop games + some Virtual Console games. I don't even want to think how much I have spent on my games lol, but I won't regret that.
    And even considering that, downgraded and didn't lose anything.

I have a 2DS, and I used these guides in order to downgrade ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-downgrading-your-3ds.407888/ ), then install Emunand + RxTools ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/ ). These are valid for O3DS/O3DSXL too.

But if you have a New 3DS, I believe part of the process will have some differences, so maybe other people can help you more.

12. manlego
    OP

manlego GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2009
    Brazil
    Thanks a lot! I have an o3ds, so those guides should be useful!