Will I have to update emuNAND for MH4G?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Kibido, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Kibido
    OP

Kibido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 3, 2014
    Italy
    I never needed to update because MH4 booted anyway, but since the demo of Smash Brothers is giving me a black screen (I suppose because I still have 4.x on emuNAND) then I was wondering if MH4G will do the same thing, in which case I'll do the update right away.

2. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
  3. gypsynimrod

gypsynimrod Banned

Banned
    Sep 2, 2014
    Fiji
    Why do people not update the EmuNAND anyway? Takes a few minutes and there aren't any losses to be made in the process.

Reecey likes this.
  4. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    Don't know because its quite easy really I updated emunand back from I think version 1.2 or something when it first came in from GW.

5. Kibido
    OP

Apr 3, 2014
    Italy
    The only reason why I have a 3DS with Gateway is to play japanese Monster Hunter titles. Aside from that I don't give a damn about anything else this console has to offer.

Thanks for the, as always, quick replies and guide.

Huntereb likes this.
  6. gypsynimrod

gypsynimrod Banned

Banned
    Sep 2, 2014
    Fiji
    i mean, truthfully, I get that. I only have a Gateway for Taiko which doesn't even need an updated EmuNAND, but it's kinda like choosing a worse option when (as evident by the creation of this thread) produces minor problems.

7. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    It`s always the best decision to update to current working emunand as long as it is possible
    just imagine, nintendo releases a new firmware in a couple of days/weeks/months with a new encryption and it won`t work with gateway emunand for several weeks/months again and then you want to play something, that requires 7.x encryption, but you either have no emunand or it is still on 4.x ... so what do you do then? you have to wait weeks/months for the new gateway update
    so my suggestion to anyone, who is not on latest emunand firmware already: better be safe then sorry and do it now
    don`t forget to follow a guide to do it right and not screw up your sysnand

Deboog likes this.
  8. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    tbh you can update using a rom by holding UP when booting emunand, this will allow you to update emunand via a rom (of the same region only)

so if ever a situation like that arises its not impossible to update to less than the latest version

9. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    thats interesting, I knew it was possible to update via roms in early gateway versions, but I didn`t know, the feature came back as a hidden option, good to know

10. Kibido
    OP

Apr 3, 2014
    Italy
    I never knew it could cause problems. Thank you for the advice, I'll keep myself updated.

11. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Hopefully Monster Hunter4G get subbed before 4U drops, rom decryption and re-encryptioin is a thing now.

12. parsimony

parsimony Member

Newcomer
    Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    If someone puts up a tutorial for doing translations I was planning to translate all the important bits like skill names and charms. I played mh4 in japanese and that's the part I missed being in english the most. You can kinda ignore the plot :v

13. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    There's tutorials now for decrypting and extracting roms, and people have made a few modifications just to experiment with things. Check out the Rely decrypter thread.

14. MaximusX800

MaximusX800 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 18, 2014
    United States
    I am actually starting this translation project, but have ran into a road block. I cannot fully decrypt the rom until I get a working rfs file. I have only started this process this evening and will keep at it. If someone could help me I would appreciate it. Please note I am decrypting my personal cart copy of MH4G.

I know there is probably only about 4-6 months wait until 4U, but I would still like to try to start the process. Once rom is decrypted I will work on essential translations to start with.

descac likes this.