Will I be getting the RRoD?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by R2DJ, Dec 23, 2008.

Dec 23, 2008

Will I be getting the RRoD? by R2DJ at 10:20 AM (1,739 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. R2DJ
    OP

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Panic Attack...

I was playing The Simpsons Game on my 360 last night until I experienced something.

While I was playing as Homer, walking in the streets of Springfield, I experienced 1 or 3 skips in the game (as in the picture skips for at least a second). Now I've read something I googled called "Warning Signs of RRoD" and one of the symptoms is graphics freezing. Does that mean I will be getting the RRoD? I know most 360's will get it but will I get it sooner?

I have given my 360 a really open space to breathe. Also, I've been playing it for 5 hours a day (not straight, there are breaks in between) since 3 days ago. I haven't turned on my 360 yet as I'm planning to give it a 24 hour rest.

Or does the site mean "the screeen will freeze so you have to restart your 360"?

2. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Don't panic. Your disk just needs cleaning.

3. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    Will you get the RRoD from this? Unlikely. Will you get it eventually? Most will. They can revise the internal parts as much as they like, and that does keep it cooler and increases its chances of survival, but ultimately this particular problem won't be fixed until they make a whole new 360 version (think the PS2 Slim). One with proper ventilation, etc.

In this particular instance I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've had my 360 for just over 2 months, subscribe to all of the legitimate ways of keeping it running, and my 360 has gotten graphical errors and frozen at least 17 times. It doesn't matter what you do, eventually it will happen. It's not really a big deal though, as the warranty to repair the system is a strong one.

4. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I have this problem with my 360 its my laser thats dying not rrod [​IMG]

5. R2DJ
    OP

United Kingdom
    I know that the repair system is reliable but not having the RRoD takes out the hassle of not waiting for 2 weeks for my 360 to be repaired. I just hope it doesn't get the RRoD this month at least because I am planning to use Lips and GH World Tour for Xmas party.

Turned it on and it worked fine. I guess I'll try to use my cleaning disc for the disk drive.

6. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    If you're truly worried about the RRoD, then I have two pieces of advice for you. 1) If you notice something funky going on with your system, save your game (or whatever), turn it off, and let it cool down for a couple of hours. 2) Don't overthink it, it WILL happen eventually. And I'm not saying that to be cruel. But thinking about it is only going to make you miserable in between now and then.

7. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    A 360 of a friend of mine started freezing, and then... RROD. Lol.

I have noticed that leaving the 360 in cold places makes the RROD appear more. It has probably something to do with Thermal Excursion and solder joints cracking up because of that.

So I told to this friend of mine to leave the 360 running for a while with the RROD, just to heat it up a while, and after that it worked.

360s build quality sucks [​IMG]

8. nin10do

Member nin10do GBAtemp Fan

Taiwan
    try installing the game to the hard disk.

9. R2DJ
    OP

United Kingdom
    The game is already installed. But I found out that the disk has smudges so I wiped it out and now it works fine.

Thanks Ace for the advice. I figured by the time the 360 might get RROD, I'll be busy with college anyway so it will take up most of my time.

10. gaboumafou

Member gaboumafou GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I would LIKE to get a RROD... My 360 is having a lot of disc read errors these days or lags, and I thing my laser is dying... Also, my RROD warranty is almost over... If it could just get a RROD, I could return it to get a new console... And with the new Ixtreme, I would be happy to have a LiteOn... [​IMG]

11. eric_4_life

Member eric_4_life GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    ^just send it in because of the errors, you dont need the RROD

12. gaboumafou

Canada
    My 360 is almost 3 years old... The 3-years warranty is only for the RRoD.

13. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    There are many ways to deliberately get RRoD for reasons such as yours. Search around the net for some tips.

14. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    That doesn't make any sense. The entire point of installing it is that you don't need to use the disc other than to authorize the game to boot up. That shouldn't have anything to do with fixing stuttering on an installed game. [​IMG] Try uninstalling it and playing it off the disc.

15. gaboumafou

Canada
    Hmmm... It's not really honest, and my 360 is still working (except when it decide to crash... :S ), but getting a totally new 360 would be great...

I'm just afraid that they will find out it's flashed and return it, and I will be stuck with a 360 that I broke for no reason... >_>

16. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    Can't you unflash it?

17. gaboumafou

Canada
    Yeah, I believe I could still go see the guy who flashed it for me...

18. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    A friend of mine who dosent use his 360 a great deal was playing it last night, his console froze up a couple of times and he had to restart. He was only playing for like ten minutes. Then he got 2 RROD (overheating) so he called me and I told him to leave it off for a couple of hours to let it cool. About 2 hours later he turned it on and wham 3RROD. The same thing happened to mine, it wasnt being used a great deal either. I was quite shocked when he told me as his console was less then a year old, mine was about 3 years old. So yeah it seems the newer consoles can randomly get RROD for apparently no reason. Both our consoles were flashed, I fixed mine myself about a year ago, by replacing the thermal paste on the GPU and CPU and replacing the heatsink clamps with bolts and washers. My 360 is still going strong now remarkably! Im going to try the same thing with his after xmas.

Long story short man, dont worry about 3RROD, enjoy it as long as it lasts, if it comes it comes. Theres not much you can do to prevent it apart from making sure its ventilated thats it!

edit: theres no point in unflashing it man, MS can see youve had the console opened up which invalidates the warranty on it anyway!

19. Sorox

Member Sorox Master Firo Soul

United States
    Im getting a xbox 360 on x-mas. Its new and i heard that the newer consoles have less of a chance of getting the dreaded RROD. How long do i have once i first play console before i et the RROD?

20. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Ive seen inside the new consoles, they use less power on the board so less heat, and they also have a massive extra heatsink in them which the older ones, like mine, dont have, so I guess theres less chance of RROD on those.