Homebrew Will I be able to play DVDs from video_ts folder on USB stick?

zzhou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a USB flash with 16Gb but it is formatted for Mac. I wonder if I can use some mplayer to play VIDEO_TS folder from that USB stick if I reformat it. I'm reluctant to try it as I'm not sure of the result
smile.gif

terminal_illness

Dark Hadou Master
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
pretty sure it does not read the mac os extended format. you will have to format to fat32... most usb sticks come formatted with fat32 so if you never changed it from master boot record to apple partition map or G.U.I.D format with mac os x extended, it should work.

zzhou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
terminal_illness said:
pretty sure it does not read the mac os extended format. you will have to format to fat32... most usb sticks come formatted with fat32 so if you never changed it from master boot record to apple partition map or G.U.I.D format with mac os x extended, it should work.

I had that disk bootable on Mac for my experiments. But I reformatted it properly - i.e. mplayer_ce can access the files there. Still - it can't properly handle the DVD menus (http://code.google.com/p/mplayer-ce/issues/detail?id=402&colspec=Type%20Status%20ID%20Summary)

st33lb0ne

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
correct me if i`m wrong,

but i have tried several extracted dvd`s on usb,

It seemed to mee it just plays the individual vobs 1 by 1, no menu indeed and often the scenes of the movie are all messed up.

Re-encode 2 xvid would be your best bet at this time. (it took me less time to re-encode a movie then to figure out video_ts wasnt going to work) :-)

OlivierTheBest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
QUOTE said:
It seemed to mee it just plays the individual vobs 1 by 1, no menu indeed and often the scenes of the movie are all messed up.

Yes that's true.

A solution is to use DVD SHRINK to resample DVD (could be done from VIDEO_TS structure or a DVD in order to create a basic structure with no menu and only one language).

In this case it will be possible to watch .vob files (better to start from first .von to watch the beginning of the movie...) with mplayer and mplayer will automatically open next .vob when there are several, the will be no troubles at all.

There is a small delay when mplayer swap from a .vob to another but that's acceptable.

Regards

Olivier

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Actually, I know with at least some DVD decrypting programs (such as DVD Decrypter) you can tell the app to split the VOB files at something (say, 4 GB) and it will join them all together and then split them at the specified size. Then, if you renamed them to something like 01.vob, 02.vob (etc) I'm sure Mplayer CE would play them one after the other with everything being correct. I suggest this because it would make sure that the various vob files are joined in the proper order instead of the scenes being all over the place.

zzhou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
9th_Sage said:
Actually, I know with at least some DVD decrypting programs (such as DVD Decrypter) you can tell the app to split the VOB files at something (say, 4 GB) and it will join them all together and then split them at the specified size. Then, if you renamed them to something like 01.vob, 02.vob (etc) I'm sure Mplayer CE would play them one after the other with everything being correct. I suggest this because it would make sure that the various vob files are joined in the proper order instead of the scenes being all over the place.

The disk I was trying to watch is a TV series - so it would need some more editing to have individual files for episodes. I'm so lazy I'd rather watch in on a computer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram ple bs lol