Will I be able to play DVDs from video_ts folder on USB stick?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by zzhou, Mar 18, 2010.

1. zzhou
    OP

Newcomer zzhou Member

United States
    I have a USB flash with 16Gb but it is formatted for Mac. I wonder if I can use some mplayer to play VIDEO_TS folder from that USB stick if I reformat it. I'm reluctant to try it as I'm not sure of the result [​IMG]

2. popoffka

Member popoffka GBAtemp Fan

Latvia
    You'll be able to do so. I've tried this and everything was OK for me.

3. zzhou
    OP

Newcomer zzhou Member

United States
    mplayer CE does not play DVD menu from files (I guess it would only work from a disk)

4. terminal_illness

Member terminal_illness Dark Hadou Master

Canada
    pretty sure it does not read the mac os extended format. you will have to format to fat32... most usb sticks come formatted with fat32 so if you never changed it from master boot record to apple partition map or G.U.I.D format with mac os x extended, it should work.

5. zzhou
    OP

Newcomer zzhou Member

United States
    I had that disk bootable on Mac for my experiments. But I reformatted it properly - i.e. mplayer_ce can access the files there. Still - it can't properly handle the DVD menus (http://code.google.com/p/mplayer-ce/issues/detail?id=402&colspec=Type%20Status%20ID%20Summary)

6. terminal_illness

Member terminal_illness Dark Hadou Master

Canada
    if you are on a mac (i am.) just goto disk utility and re-format into fat32. osxx can read fat32 no prob.

7. st33lb0ne

Newcomer st33lb0ne Member

Netherlands
    correct me if i`m wrong,

but i have tried several extracted dvd`s on usb,

It seemed to mee it just plays the individual vobs 1 by 1, no menu indeed and often the scenes of the movie are all messed up.

Re-encode 2 xvid would be your best bet at this time. (it took me less time to re-encode a movie then to figure out video_ts wasnt going to work) :-)

8. OlivierTheBest

Newcomer OlivierTheBest Advanced Member

France
    Yes that's true.

A solution is to use DVD SHRINK to resample DVD (could be done from VIDEO_TS structure or a DVD in order to create a basic structure with no menu and only one language).

In this case it will be possible to watch .vob files (better to start from first .von to watch the beginning of the movie...) with mplayer and mplayer will automatically open next .vob when there are several, the will be no troubles at all.

There is a small delay when mplayer swap from a .vob to another but that's acceptable.

Regards

Olivier

9. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Actually, I know with at least some DVD decrypting programs (such as DVD Decrypter) you can tell the app to split the VOB files at something (say, 4 GB) and it will join them all together and then split them at the specified size. Then, if you renamed them to something like 01.vob, 02.vob (etc) I'm sure Mplayer CE would play them one after the other with everything being correct. I suggest this because it would make sure that the various vob files are joined in the proper order instead of the scenes being all over the place.

10. zzhou
    OP

Newcomer zzhou Member

United States
    The disk I was trying to watch is a TV series - so it would need some more editing to have individual files for episodes. I'm so lazy I'd rather watch in on a computer.