Hardware Will formatting update your system to the newest firmware?

ArviDroid

Infamous GBAtemper
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hi, I have an O3DS v.10.5 and I'm about to downgrade to 9.2 soon. Following a tutorial it said that formatting would make the chances of bricking slimmer. So I thought that I should do that. The problem is that I have menuhax, which won't work on 10.7. So if it ends up with updating I'll lose my chances of downgrading my 3DS. Formatting won't update the firmware, or will it? Thanks in advance.

Magical Sheep

The Super Stylish Cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sure was quick! Thanks!
No problem! Good luck with your downgrade.
You may end up having for format the Sysnand a time or two after getting Emunand to work, (If you plan to setup a CFW) to unlink the nands. The first time I had to do this I was worried that it would update, but it didn't.

ArviDroid

Infamous GBAtemper
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
No problem! Good luck with your downgrade.
You may end up having for format the Sysnand a time or two after getting Emunand to work, (If you plan to setup a CFW) to unlink the nands. The first time I had to do this I was worried that it would update, but it didn't.
Well to be honest I don't even know what Sysnand and Emunand is... Well I'll answer anyway. After downgrading I plan on using NASA to install cias. That's all I guess... I only want to be able to play games that I couldn't on 10.5.

Magical Sheep

The Super Stylish Cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well to be honest I don't even know what Sysnand and Emunand is... Well I'll answer anyway. After downgrading I plan on using NASA to install cias. That's all I guess...
It's cool. I can explain some stuff. I'm sure someone will correct me if I get any information wrong. The Sysnand is the default system firmware in the 3DS. The Emunand is what runs the custom firmware. I used this video to help install Emunand on my New 3DS. I'm not 100% sure, but I think cias can only be installed on the Emunand. (To use Enumand you'll need a custom firmware like CakesFW, ReiNAND, or RxTools.) Using a custom firmware has lots of benefits, like having custom applications on the 3DS desktop. It's totally up to you what you decide to do, but setting up an Emunand would probably be more beneficial in the future. Hopefully, all this helps to clarify some stuff.

ArviDroid

Infamous GBAtemper
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Nope, it won't.
Thanks for yet another confirmation!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's cool. I can explain some stuff. I'm sure someone will correct me if I get any information wrong. The Sysnand is the default system firmware in the 3DS. The Emunand is what runs the custom firmware. I used this video to help install Emunand on my New 3DS. I'm not 100% sure, but I think cias can only be installed on the Emunand. (To use Enumand you'll need a custom firmware like CakesFW, ReiNAND, or RxTools.) Using a custom firmware has lots of benefits, like having custom applications on the 3DS desktop. It's totally up to you what you decide to do, but setting up an Emunand would probably be more beneficial in the future. Hopefully, all this helps to clarify some stuff.

Thanks for the explaination. I think I'm too inexperienced atm to fiddle around with CFWs. So being able to install cias that aren't legit (or whatever) is probably the only thing safe enough for me to do for now.

dg_dex

Trophies
XP
Country
Magical Sheep is right on par. Although, you can install CIA's to your Sysnand once you have gained ARM11 I think it is. You gain this through Emunand entry points (Exploits). One can simply select NAND as target in FBI then install CIA's to nand. However, this is not advised nor recommended under any circumstance. If you write game CIA's to your nand, you will run the risk of soft/hard bricking your console. Only verified system .cia titles should ever be wrote to the nand. Ask members here for those verified system .cia titles. They are titles such as allowing GW's bluecard to be run. Also, AGB_FIRM needs to be written to Sysnand to allow GBA .cia titles to be played.

Once you've found your step. I would recommend doing some research into A9LH. That exploit allows direct access to ARM9 and ARM11. It will also allow CFW to run on your Sysnand. Do NOT attempt to install A9LH without researching thoroughly into it first. Reason being, it can and will lead to a hard brick if you miss any steps in the OTP downgrade github guide during the downgrade to 2.1. A backup of your Sysnand is highly recommended before you attempt delving into A9LH. With a backup, you'll be able to hard mod your console to write your nand image back to it. This will restore your console if you every hard brick. It will save your ass.

Last edited by dg_dex,

ArviDroid

Infamous GBAtemper
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Magical Sheep is right on par. Although, you can install CIA's to your Sysnand once you have gained ARM11 I think it is. You gain this through Emunand entry points (Exploits). One can simply select NAND as target in FBI then install CIA's to nand. However, this is not advised nor recommended under any circumstance. If you write game CIA's to your nand, you will run the risk of soft/hard bricking your console. Only verified system .cia titles should ever be wrote to the nand. Ask members here for those verified system .cia titles. They are titles such as allowing GW's bluecard to be run. Also, AGB_FIRM needs to be written to Sysnand to allow GBA .cia titles to be played.

Once you've found your step. I would recommend doing some research into A9LH. That exploit allows direct access to ARM9 and ARM11. It will also allow CFW to run on your Sysnand. Do NOT attempt to install A9LH without researching thoroughly into it first. Reason being, it can and will lead to a hard brick if you miss any steps in the OTP downgrade github guide during the downgrade to 2.1. A backup of your Sysnand is highly recommended before you attempt delving into A9LH. With a backup, you'll be able to hard mod your console to write your nand image back to it. This will restore your console if you every hard brick. It will save your ass.
Thanks for all the info. I didn't quite get all of that but I'll research it. Off all the things I understood it made me uncertain if I can actually downgrade my 3DS... I was going to follow a guide which made the process seem very simple, but now it doesn't seem so easy. Well now I'm confused...

Last edited by ArviDroid,

dg_dex

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for all the info. I didn't quite get all of that but I'll research it. Off all the things I understood it made me uncertain if I can actually downgrade my 3DS... I was going to follow a guide which made the process seem very simple, but now it doesn't seem so easy. Well now I'm confused...

- Download SafeSysUpdater, the 9.2 official dowload pack from that iso site for your console and region along with the HomeBreweLauncher 2.6 starter pack.
- Create a folder on your SD root and name it 3ds. Create another folder on your SD root and name is updates.
- Extract the 2 files from the SafeSysUpdater .rar pack. Paste those 2 files into your 3ds folder.
- Copy and paste all of the .cia files from the 9.2 firmware pack into your updates folder. It is important that all of the .cia files are in the updates folder.
- Extract the HomeBreweStarter.rar. Copy and paste all of the folders on to the root of your SD card. Click yes to overwrite any matching folder or file names.
- Insert the SD card back into your console.

Now follow the BrowserHack guide on this site. This exploit will allow your system to run HBL.

- Once you have the HBL menu appear. Select SafeSysUpdater.
- Your console should now be in SafeSysUpdater. Select the option to check your downgrade firmware files. Once the checks have ALL passed. Proceed on to Entering SafeSysUpdater again.
- Hook your charger up first. Now Select the option to downgrade your console. Sit back and keep your fingers crossed that the downgrade completes. Once SafeSysUpdater has finished installing the 9.2 firmware .cia's. It will attempt to reboot your console after 10 seconds. Let it do it's thing. If after 10 seconds have passed and your console still hasn't rebooted. Hold the power button down until your console shuts off. At this point, power your console back on. If your console doesn't boot past a black screen. Simply power down again and remove your SD card. Now power your console back on. If the console boots correctly. Enter settings to verify that your console is now running 9.2 firmware. If it is, come back here and reply so I can help you out further. If not, you'll either have one of the 3 below outcomes.

1 - FrankenFirm; the downgrade didn't fully install your NATIVE_FIRM. Don't panic, just boot back into HBL if you can. Then enter SafeSysUpdater and downgrade again. This time, SafeSysUpdater will downgrade your NATIVE_FIRM. Again, let SafeSysUpdater reboot your console. If it doesn't after 10 seconds have passed. Power down manually and remove your SD card, then power your console on.

2 - Soft Brick; while your console is powered down. Hold L, R, A and UP on your dpad. While holding those buttons, power your console on and hold them until you see the recovery menu. When in the recovery menu, your console will prompt you. This message prompt will say something along the lines of you having to update your console. Accept and let the recovery process complete. If this happens to you. You must come back to this thread and let one of us members know. We will have to give you another exploit method which will involve you having to either own Cubic Ninja or Zelda: Orcarina of time.

3 - Hard Brick; If none of the 2 outcomes above didn't help you identify your problem. You will most likely have a bricked nand. The only way to recover this is to hard mod your console and write your nand back to your console. This will recover your console from a hard brick. Please note; you must have a hard mod installed pre downgrade. Why? Because you will need to read your nand before it became corrupt (hard bricked).

I may not of covered absolutely everything above. If others would like to chime in and add something to the above. Please feel free.

Lastly, good luck to you. I wish you all the best during this downgrade process. FYI, if you can do this, you'll find that installing A9LH is that much easier.

Last edited by dg_dex,

Potato hoarder

Hoarder of Potatoes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Games are never written to nand. Even the deal games that the 3ds comes with (Mario cart 7) are written to the sd. Only system files should ever be written to nand.

dg_dex

Trophies
XP
Country
Games are never written to nand. Even the deal games that the 3ds comes with (Mario cart 7) are written to the sd. Only system files should ever be written to nand.

You've basically just clarified exactly what I mentioned in my post. There was a member a few days ago that asked if he could install a game to his nand. So there are people out there that will try this either way. Yes, I know the console won't allow you to write a game.cia to the nand. But by doing so, the end user may try things which could result in a brick.

ArviDroid

Infamous GBAtemper
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
- Download SafeSysUpdater, the 9.2 official dowload pack from that iso site for your console and region along with the HomeBreweLauncher 2.6 starter pack.
- Create a folder on your SD root and name it 3ds. Create another folder on your SD root and name is updates.
- Extract the 2 files from the SafeSysUpdater .rar pack. Paste those 2 files into your 3ds folder.
- Copy and paste all of the .cia files from the 9.2 firmware pack into your updates folder. It is important that all of the .cia files are in the updates folder.
- Extract the HomeBreweStarter.rar. Copy and paste all of the folders on to the root of your SD card. Click yes to overwrite any matching folder or file names.
- Insert the SD card back into your console.

Now follow the BrowserHack guide on this site. This exploit will allow your system to run HBL.

- Once you have the HBL menu appear. Select SafeSysUpdater.
- Your console should now be in SafeSysUpdater. Select the option to check your downgrade firmware files. Once the checks have ALL passed. Proceed on to Entering SafeSysUpdater again.
- Hook your charger up first. Now Select the option to downgrade your console. Sit back and keep your fingers crossed that the downgrade completes. Once SafeSysUpdater has finished installing the 9.2 firmware .cia's. It will attempt to reboot your console after 10 seconds. Let it do it's thing. If after 10 seconds have passed and your console still hasn't rebooted. Hold the power button down until your console shuts off. At this point, power your console back on. If your console doesn't boot past a black screen. Simply power down again and remove your SD card. Now power your console back on. If the console boots correctly. Enter settings to verify that your console is now running 9.2 firmware. If it is, come back here and reply so I can help you out further. If not, you'll either have one of the 3 below outcomes.

1 - FrankenFirm; the downgrade didn't fully install your NATIVE_FIRM. Don't panic, just boot back into HBL if you can. Then enter SafeSysUpdater and downgrade again. This time, SafeSysUpdater will downgrade your NATIVE_FIRM. Again, let SafeSysUpdater reboot your console. If it doesn't after 10 seconds have passed. Power down manually and remove your SD card, then power your console on.

2 - Soft Brick; while your console is powered down. Hold L, R, A and UP on your dpad. While holding those buttons, power your console on and hold them until you see the recovery menu. When in the recovery menu, your console will prompt you. This message prompt will say something along the lines of you having to update your console. Accept and let the recovery process complete. If this happens to you. You must come back to this thread and let one of us members know. We will have to give you another exploit method which will involve you having to either own Cubic Ninja or Zelda: Orcarina of time.

3 - Hard Brick; If none of the 2 outcomes above didn't help you identify your problem. You will most likely have a bricked nand. The only way to recover this is to hard mod your console and write your nand back to your console. This will recover your console from a hard brick. Please note; you must have a hard mod installed pre downgrade. Why? Because you will need to read your nand before it became corrupt (hard bricked).

I may not of covered absolutely everything above. If others would like to chime in and add something to the above. Please feel free.

Lastly, good luck to you. I wish you all the best during this downgrade process. FYI, if you can do this, you'll find that installing A9LH is that much easier.
Thanks for the explaination. I don't want your help to go to waste but I'll stick with 10.5 until I run out of legit games. Then I'll consider downgrading. I want to have played a few games before I take a risk. Otherwise my new SD card would have gone to waste...

dg_dex

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the explaination. I don't want your help to go to waste but I'll stick with 10.5 until I run out of legit games. Then I'll consider downgrading. I want to have played a few games before I take a risk. Otherwise my new SD card would have gone to waste...

OK matey. Well good luck for the future.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: https://youtu.be/e1G3aKJ3g18?feature=shared