Will F1 Race Game Boy save battery work on Pokémon Gold?

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by UltraMew, Feb 15, 2014.

1. UltraMew
    OP

UltraMew GBATemp's Mew PRETENDING TO BE FOXI4 4 A DAY

Banned
    Aug 7, 2013
    United States
    Flying a blue hedgehog around
    Title. I honestly don't care if the time part doesn't matter, and I don't wanna crack open my Red Version. I lent them to a friend, so I don't have them and won't for a while.

Hi?

:(

2. Yepi69
    This message by Yepi69 has been removed from public view by raulpica, Feb 15, 2014, Reason: Chillax. Merged his posts -rp.
    Feb 15, 2014
  3. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    I don't get exactly what you're asking.

You want to take a battery from another game (F1 Race) and stuff it into your Pokemon Gold?

Why not just buy a new one? They're cheap as peanuts.

4. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    To further expand on raulpica's point, you're going to take a used, years-old battery and put it in a cartridge that has a used, years-old DEAD battery in it already, where if your battery dies, you lose all of your progress. That's just...

Yes, it would work.

GBC games take a CR2025 battery, however a CR2032 will fit and last longer, it's just a tight squeeze getting the cover back on.

Replacing the battery will restore time functionality in the game and allow you to save again.

Target sells them for $5. I've seen Dollar Tree sell them in multi-packs for $1. Harbor Freight sells them somewhere in between those two prices.

5. UltraMew
    OP

Banned
    Aug 7, 2013
    United States
    I don't have much free cash.

6. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    Not even $2-3?

You know, the battery in F1 Race is probably old as shit too, so it could probably last something like a few weeks.

You wanna risk everything with Pokemon? It can be REALLY frustrating when it happens.

7. UltraMew
    OP

Banned
    Aug 7, 2013
    United States
    I'll see.

8. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    Non Volatile Gameboy Saves
    I did this and am glad I did. no more battery backed (Volatile) SRAM for saves.
    I replaced the SRAM with FRAM on Pokemon Red and Yellow with ones i took out of GBA game's Yu-Gi-Oh Reshief of Destruction, and Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories.

Doing this also works with G/S/C but the a battery is still needed to for RTC, but at least every time the battery dies, you do not lose your save too.