1. TAYM

OP TAYM Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Me and my brother used to share the same Switch. I bought online for it and everything as well as a bunch of games. My brother likes to hack though and got it banned from online services. I bought a switch lite separate from him now and was wondering if linking the Nintendo account that had all the games and online membership would get my clean switch banned as well.

2. WiiEJECT

WiiEJECT GBAtemp Regular

Argentina
    That depends. Was the console banned or your account? If only the console was banned, then no. If the account was banned, as long as I know you should get a prompt when trying to log in.

TAYM likes this.
  3. TAYM

OP TAYM Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I tried to log in to the hacked account on Nintendo's website and it worked. Does that mean it should be ok?

4. WiiEJECT

WiiEJECT GBAtemp Regular

Argentina
    I've heard of very few Nintendo accounts getting banned through the years, and none of them were because of a single banned console.
    If you can make full use of you account, it means it's not banned. It doesn't mean, however, that's not flagged. This means that Nintendo didn't ban you but has you on a "list" for potential bans. If you get a new console and wanna hack it, don't use the same account, or log-in with it, download your games/saves/stuff, log-off, log-in with another one and then hack it.
    Nothing is set on stone, but there's not such thing as being careful enough.

TAYM likes this.
  5. BaamAlex

BaamAlex 160-0103

Germany
    Nintendo doesn't ban accounts. They never did it and they will never do that. So, it doesn't matter if you use your account from the banned switch. This console has been banned because you used unauthorized software.

TAYM likes this.
  6. WiiEJECT

WiiEJECT GBAtemp Regular

Argentina
    They usually don't, mostly cause they are free and extremely easy to create on batch. It's way easier and effective to simply ban a console.
    But that doesn't mean they 100% don't ban accounts.

7. TAYM

OP TAYM Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Update: Logged into the account. As of writing this I'm not banned yet! Thank you to everyone who responded!

Milad likes this.
  8. CreepyToast

CreepyToast Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Any updates on this?

9. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Nintendo rarely bans accounts so there is reason to believe they do not follow bans associated with accounts. There are also no verified reports of a console being banned just for using an account that was associated with a banned console.

10. hartleyshc

hartleyshc GBAtemp Fan

United States

Nintendo will pretty much only ban accounts based on fraud. Mostly from credit card/PayPal chargebacks. Or if you use an eShop game code that was purchased fraudulently. So don't use CD key sites to buy your games. If you want a discount, change your region and buy games from other regions.

Other than that, as others have said, when it comes to hacking, Nintendo will only ban the hardware, not the account. So you'll be just fine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Last edited by hartleyshc, Aug 11, 2020
    ShonenJump likes this.
  11. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

No it won’t I had my very first switch banned and I’ve connected the same account to two others without any issues Nintendo themselves say it’s ok. I was in the same situation as you with 26 games on eshop and an ongoing online subscription, no problems go ahead.

Last edited by Reecey, Aug 11, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Connecting, Nintendo, Account