will cd-labels damage my drive???

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by loopguy, Apr 22, 2008.

1. loopguy
    OP

loopguy GBAtemp Regular

Mar 19, 2007
    Gambia, The
    i wanna put printable lables on my backups.
    can it damage my drive, will they eject properly?
    anyone tried yet?

thx

2. Salamantis

Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 20, 2007
    Canada
    I always had some, and they worked perfectly.

3. Panzer Tacticer

Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Apr 13, 2008
    Canada
    Right Here
    BUY pre labeled media that's done professionally. And don't be cheap. I've had low price range labelled dvds die on me.

Don't assume anything you made yourself is a good idea. Unless the data isn't important to you.

4. roboz

roboz GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2007
    United States
    Japan(I wish)
    The best way to probably label a DVD is with lightscribe, if you ever seen one it looks really clean and professional like a real copy of the game. But you will need special lightscribe discs and a lightscribe capable dvd drive.

5. Xeronage

Xeronage GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 6, 2006
    I have a lightscribe burner myself, looks pretty nice, but you get sick of the brownish-black colours after awhile.

6. tomkat

tomkat Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 23, 2008
    Yeah, I use Lightscribe too.

You can actually get Lightscribe discs in different colours if you would like a bit of a change. They can be hard to track down though. I've had blue and yellow discs as well as the standard gold/brown ones.

7. BigX

BigX GBAtemp Regular

Aug 29, 2007
    Canada
    over there
    forget about the printables that you have to stick on your media.
    Either go for Lightscribe(or any equivalent) or use printable medias.
    Putting stickers on your media will bend 'emand this increases the chances to misreads and/or destruction of the media and thus the drive.

8. Hooya

Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 25, 2006
    United States
    Central Illinois
    I've had issues with stickers on the DVDs that make the DVDs too thick for the drive to be comfortable. It's just not a good idea. If you want decorated disks get lightscribe like others have suggested.

9. Little

Little I r Little

Nov 20, 2006
    England
    if you play a game for a while, and the drive gets hot, the sticky melts, and yeah that can fuck up your drive

10. Prime

Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 7, 2007
    Under your bed
    You can easily get a marker and write the name of the game on the disc.

i don't see why want labels on the disc...

11. ilovengage

ilovengage GBAtemp Fan

May 1, 2005
    Australia
    Because it looks better? Because you can put an image of the game (logo, picture of the main character, ...) on it?

But from your post i assume you're one of those "who needs something that looks good" ...

12. arctic_flame

arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

Nov 4, 2006
    England land
    It's as Little Says. I would buy printables, Lightscribe is... meh.

13. loopguy
    OP

loopguy GBAtemp Regular

Mar 19, 2007
    Gambia, The
    no, i'm not gonna burn all my backups (about 50) again just to have lightscribe lables [​IMG]
    thought stickers could work fine.... i used stickers on pc-drive and they didn't melt or anything, the only thing i worry about is the thickness, cause the wii has only a thin slot! don't want to test it; i think it's too risky damaging my wii just to have fancy lables. f**k that [​IMG]

14. SavageWaffle

SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 13, 2008
    United States
    New York
    Just Sharpie it =]

15. tomqman

tomqman This Is Everyone's Fault But Mine.

Aug 7, 2007
    Isle Of Wight
    all my wii backups (about 20) have lables and i have only two that go in the drive a slow because of the lable ,one i creased the label when putting it on the other is a photo glossy lable i was testing

16. Redsquirrel

Redsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 27, 2007
    i used to use labels but after time they start to peel off the disc and muck it up.

Buy a printer, like Epson R360. Prints direct to disc and looks fantastic. Less than 100 quid as well!

17. KJE207

KJE207 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2007
    Canada
    I've been using labels for the last year and a half for both my Wii and GCN titles. I specifically use 'Fellowes Neato' labels and haven't experienced any issues in regards to hardware performance. That being said, the discs are more slower to eject but I have yet to have any sticker peel off or be damaged as a result. I'm happy with my results and haven't thought twice about it...until I saw this thread [​IMG]

18. Warm Woolly Shee

Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 14, 2006
    United States
    Butt City, FA rt
    DRAW YOUR OWN SHARPIES RULE! Or be like me and force someone to draw for you.

I play for 5 minutes then DEMAND the person nearest me (friends, girlfriend, mom) draw a picture of what I just played on the disc. If nobody watched, I explain the game to them, then have the person draw what I just explained.

Among my vast collection of drawings are a drunk sonic, incorrect equations (geometry wars), and a dog barfing a flower (okami).

19. superrob

superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Apr 4, 2007
    GBATemp factory.
    Ive used a label for my Mario Kart Wii and SSBB discs..

They both works just like normal the only thing is that the drive doesn't allways "suck" them in.

20. opiumx

opiumx Member

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2008
    United States
    I had a neigbor whos daughter ruined their dvd player, because she put stickers on her dvds. Its a balance thing. It can happen with stick on labels if they are not centered as well.