Will a Wii U HDD and a Loader's HDD with Wii games conflict if both always plugged in?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Futurdreamz, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Futurdreamz
    OP

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    I'm just wonder because right now I just have Gamecube games on a SD card, but I'd like to move them to a HDD and put some harder to find Wii titles on it. Problem is I think that whenever I boot into Wii U mode it will detect an unrecognized HDD and persistently ask to format it, and maybe even refuse to lat me play games.

How does everyone else handle multiple HDDs? And can I plug them (and the Gamecube adaptor) into a hub so I don't have to have a monster mess of cables all over the place? thanks.

2. Heatran5400

Heatran5400 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2013
    United States
    you can avoid that detection by having a partition that is detected by the wii u.

I don't know about the hub. But if someone does say that it works with a wii u, be sure to have it use external power.

3. Futurdreamz
    OP

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    But then wouldn't it still complain that there's two WUFS hard drives plugged in? Or do you mean that the Wii U will detect and ignore a FAT32 or NTFS HDD?
    Yeah it was going to be externally powered.

4. Heatran5400

Heatran5400 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2013
    United States
    The wii u will detect the fat32 partition, ignoring the ntfs partition, thus removing the prompt to format.

5. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    The WiiU does NOT detect Fat32 partitions or ignore NTFS partition.
    Do not edit your partitions !
    The wiiU is detecting the partition Table signature (not the partition format).

If it find a partition table, it asks to format.
    If it's already formated to WiiU format, there's no more partition table.
    The trick is to edit the partition table to make the WiiU think it's already formated to WiiU format. The wiiU will stop asking you to format it and the Wii will still see it.

What you want to use is Ustealth : https://gbatemp.net/threads/352786
    It's a PC tool or even a Wii homebrew to edit the partition table signature.
    Editing the signature will render the drive "bad" for the PC, seeing the signature is wrong the PC will now ask to format the drive ! DO NOT FORMAT IT ON COMPUTER!
    Just re-use UStealth to re-write the proper signature when you need to read the HDD content on your computer.

Now you can connect both WiiU and Wii HDD at the same time.
    Attention, if you want to use Gamecube games backup, the USB port order is important.
    Gamecube load ports order in decrementing order (Slot1 -> Slot0)
    So, you need to connect the Wii HDD in slot1 (the bottom back port), or else it will try to mount the wiiU hdd to find gamecube games.

At the same time, if you use wii HDD on port1, you will need the IOS d2x v10-alt (NOT the v10 normal) or else only port0 will be used for Wii game backups.

Yeah, that's a lot of information to understand and properly setup.

marcioap1, hippy dave and Bimmel like this.
  6. Futurdreamz
    OP

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Thanks, but I decided to just get a 64GB Sandisk SD card. It seems a bit more stable, and a little less messy once I set it up.

Hey, is it possible to partition a hard drive so both Wii and Wii U games are on the same drive? I have a 750GB drive which still has 400gb free.

Last edited by Futurdreamz, Oct 29, 2015