Hardware Will a SATA SSD work on IDE with an adapter?

bennyman123abc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello guys. I was wondering if a SATA SSD would work on IDE with a SATA to IDE adapter. The reason being that I have a server that only takes IDE drives and I'm sick of having to wait on the hard drive to do anything as it's a 10 year old hard drive and relentlessly slow. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
~ Ben

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello guys. I was wondering if a SATA SSD would work on IDE with a SATA to IDE adapter. The reason being that I have a server that only takes IDE drives and I'm sick of having to wait on the hard drive to do anything as it's a 10 year old hard drive and relentlessly slow. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
~ Ben
Yeah, it would. Just make sure you get one that goes IDE to motherboard and SATA to hard drive

Also make sure you set the jumpers correctly

bennyman123abc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um... I don't think so, I think it's only a problem in multi-drive systems. If that's what you currently have, though, I'd say don't touch it lol
I only have one drive and the BIOS seems to take care of drives when other drives are present. I've never touched the jumper pins in any drive I've used in that machine.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
IDE drives only need jumpers to configure Master and Slave positions when connecting more than one drive to a single IDE port. Failing to set them would cause BIOS to hang as it waits for a Slave drive to respond (if I remember, that’s because the drive controllers were located in the drive itself, where as for SATA drives the controller is located in the motherboard Southbridge). However modern solutions would be able to configure that automatically using Cable Select as a default configuration and only use jumpers to override it for compatibility with older systems. Adaptors tend to get around that problem by configuring drives as Single only.

So basically, don’t worry about the jumpers.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The IOPS are crap but I should note CF cards are IDE in a slightly tweaked pinout and you can get adapters. Depending upon what the server does it might suffice though.

Equally SATA cards can probably be found for next to nothing.

Reactions: Originality

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM