Will a functional NDS emulator cripple nintendo ?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by timbojill, Jul 20, 2006.

1. timbojill
    OP

timbojill GBAtemp Regular

Jun 24, 2005
    United States
    Will a functional NDS emulator cripple nintendo ? If one were to come out tommorrow that ran most commercial roms how would it affect nintendo.

2. Corizzle

Corizzle Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2006
    Canada
    If a functioning GBA one before the system was released didn't, why would a DS one?

3. jumpman17

jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

Former Staff
    Apr 11, 2003
    United States
    Yes, just like how the GBA emulators crippled Nintendo on the GBA. I mean, they only sold like, what, a gazillion games for it. Imagine if the emus didn't exist. They could have sold 1.1 gazillion.

4. antihaxer

antihaxer Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 3, 2006
    United States
    If the emu was made tomorrow then it would not have a touch screen or have a the portability of a ds.

5. troublesome

troublesome Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2006
    Canada
    ^^^ portability is #1 unless u can run it on a palm... an also they would sell more softwares by people beign able to test the games b4 they buy it!!

6. Lily

Lily One Scary Lady

Former Staff
    Jun 18, 2004
    Canada
    British Columbia
    Meh, if the percentage of people using roms isn't hurting their business, the same percentage that would emulate rather than play on the real system won't do any real damage either.

7. Kagaden

Kagaden Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 13, 2006
    United States
    No.

8. martin88

martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 18, 2005
    Canada
    Nothing beats the real thing. [​IMG]

9. WK416

WK416 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 14, 2004
    United States
    It's just not the same without an actual touch-screen. [​IMG]
    So... No. [​IMG]

10. Renegade_R

Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Apr 21, 2004
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario
    Used a GBA emulator for years but still bought a GBA SP. Soo...no.

11. azndragonguy115

azndragonguy115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 24, 2005
    United States
    the gba emu hardly dented nintendo reign. an emu for ds wouldn't be fun cause a mouse doesn't compete with a stylus. and i have a tablet and i doubt that would change anything

12. INTERNETS

INTERNETS GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2006
    United States
    That's what she said.

13. _ORiON_

_ORiON_ GBAtemp Regular

Dec 3, 2005
    then nintendo would be looking for ways to crush 'em down if they DID cripple ninty incredibly

14. dice

dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

Former Staff
    Oct 26, 2002
    England
    especially as it's the ds - with the gba emulation didn't affect it's sales, It even helped convince me to buy one or two games for the system.

15. x_comp

x_comp GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 8, 2003
    UK
    Indeed. Clicking about with the mouse or tapping on a graphics tablet just isn't as entertaining even if a DS emulator was "perfected". Imagine playing Osu Tatakae Ouendan, the recent Mawasu n'da! or any other title that involves rigorous use of the stylus. Won't be very fun. Not to mention some of the games require you to close your DS to perform some actions [​IMG]

It'll give some leeway for finding cheat codes and ROM hacking, though.

16. Gaisuto

Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

Former Staff
    Oct 27, 2002
    United States
    Palm Coast
    I came into this topic to say this. Someone beat me to it. Thanks for making my job easier. [​IMG]

17. Zelion

Zelion Newbie

Doubtful it would cripple Nintendo, or even make them flinch. They would undoubtedly call some lawyers in and start pointing fingers at the developer and telling them to cease and desist. Another point is that even if it was made, people will still buy the actual games and handheld. Whats a portable system is its stuck on your PC?

18. ds6220

ds6220 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 10, 2006
    United States
    Agreed. I tried to use the GBA emulators waiting for the buss one day, but someone back at home must have tripped over the extension cord because the screen went blank right in the middle of Minish Cap. It was ok though because my knees were getting pretty tired of having the monitor rest on them. [​IMG]

19. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    A NDS emulator would be a pain for me if it did come out. I still don't have a microphone so some of the games would be out of the question. A bigger question would be..... will a PSP emulator ever surface? Considering that it's on par with PS2 and that's still not emulated properly.... I'll give it a few more years.

20. timbojill
    OP

timbojill GBAtemp Regular

Jun 24, 2005
    United States
    Thank god for laptops so when a functional EMU hits I can walk around anywhere.