Hacking Will 2GB microSD's vanish soon? WoodR4 next?

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
OP
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
I've noticed that 2GB microSD's are now the smallest size card sold in stores now (and it's been that way for a while now). I wonder if when 4GB SDHC cards take their place* the incredible WoodR4 will die due to lack of compatible cards to feed it.

How soon do you guys think this could happen? I don't want to stock up on 2GB cards due to unfounded fears, but I don't want to be stuck without WoodR4 if my current one should give up the ghost.
unsure.gif

*at the magic $10 price point (I've already seen it happen, albeit was a sale)

Tux'

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I wouldn't say there is a lack of supply of 2GB MSD cards, there's tons here in local shops here, and you can also buy them online...

Tux'

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Found one You'll always be able to find 1GB MSD cards if you look hard enough
wink.gif
They haven't really disappeared, but they have just become harder to find because 2GB is the more useful than the 1 GB one.

Snailface

OP
Trophies
XP
Tux' said:
Found one You'll always be able to find 1GB MSD cards if you look hard enough ;) They haven't really disappeared, but they have just become harder to find because 2GB is the more useful than the 1 GB one.
Don't need a 1GB card, just making the point that 2GB cards could become scarce really quick. Electronic thingies have a tendency to disappear quietly in the night.
rofl.gif

Edit: ...only to reappear on obscure chinese web sites!
yaynds.gif

Tux'

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
Tux' said:
Found one You'll always be able to find 1GB MSD cards if you look hard enough ;) They haven't really disappeared, but they have just become harder to find because 2GB is the more useful than the 1 GB one.
Don't need a 1GB card, just making the point that 2GB cards could become scarce really quick. Electronic thingies have a tendency to disappear quietly in the night.
rofl.gif

Okay, I guess that's true, I remember the days when 1GB used to be popular and everywhere
smile.gif

Snailface

OP
Trophies
XP
Hmm, I guess it's reassuring that 1GB cards are still around. Further, 2GB cards will probably be available on obscure chinese websites for a while given it'll be the last "surviving" member of the regular microSD format -- if there's demand there will be supply.

Well, I suppose I can rest easy tonight. I'm just a paranoid gamer and I wuvs my R4!
wub.gif

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1GB cards are disappearing because 2GB cards are getting so inexpensive to manufacture.
Why would someone want to pay $8 for a 1GB MicroSD when $10 will get you twice the space?
Also, the lower the price, the more everyone's share/cut reduces profit. You've got manufacturing costs, packaging costs, shipping costs, store/vendor cost (by which I mean 'what the store pays to buy from the distributor vs the retail price in stores'), etc.

Also, I don't see MicroSDs disappearing in favor of MicroSDHCs any time soon either.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sop said:
what about 256MB MSD cards
sad.gif
What about them?
Those are disappearing for the reason I said above, the cost to manufacture them is getting to be pretty equal to that of 512MB/1GB/2GB cards.
Who would want to pay the same price for a 256MB MicroSD as they could for a 2GB MicroSD?

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I wouldn't worry if I were you.
You could always just buy a few spare anyway, it's not like they are expensive.

By the time they are no longer sold, you would have moved past your R4 to something else, most likely. eg. Revolution 4 3DS

Snailface

OP
Trophies
XP
Update: 2GB microSDs have been clearanced-out from my local Wal-Marts and I can't find them anywhere else.
If you have a Wood R4DS, it might be a good idea to pick up a couple while you can, if you can.

edit: I realize they're still available online pretty much everywhere, but the disappearance from brick-and-mortar stores is 'the writing on the wall' that 2GB is on the way out for good.
fudge morter brick

philip11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will be sad if they stop selling 2 gig cards and I will be sad if people can't use wood R4 but on the bright side I am not the one missing out on Wood R4 :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: