FileTrip WikiTemp has to be updated.

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Filo97, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Filo97
    OP

Filo97 Zelda's totally my sister! Not lying!

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    It doesn't point to the download center, rather it points to filetrip.

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Filetrip still exists though.

3. Filo97
    OP

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    Yes, but downloads here points to the center. So they shouldn't have different links, shouldn they?

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    As long as the links still work I don't think it matters but yeah they should be updated.

5. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Embrace yourself

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    Honestly it needs to maintained better. No one is really able to update the pages and they are quickly going out of date.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  6. Filo97
    OP

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    Are there any Wiki-mantainers or is ENTIRELY community based?

7. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    It used to be the community for most pages and a few staff members, but it seems some vandalism caused them to shut it close it off to only the staff.

8. Filo97
    OP

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    Wouldn't it be enough to make it so changes have to get approved?

9. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    I mean, that would make sense and I personally thought the same when I noticed this as well.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  10. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    It may make sense, sure, but you have to keep in mind that having to manually approve every addition to every page is going to push a lot of work on the all staff (even including the fact we have a bigger moderator list now :P). Back then it probably wouldn't have been a big deal, but now we have at least 2+ years worth of changes and updates that need to be made to the Wiki just to bring it up to date with the current categories, not including the new ones that will need to be added.

To be perfectly honest, the only viable solutions I can see for the Temp Wiki would be:

1) Just lock it all down for good and keep it for archival reasons only. Basically every section and page is 2+ years out of date, even just updating the current pages with current information is going to take a super long time unless we just gloss over everything, and that's not evening considering all the new pages we'll need to add for modern Wii U hacks and Switch hacks and 3DS hacks and DSi hacks.

2) We can try to find a nice chunk of volunteers who have the vast amount of time and knowledge, and are trustworthy enough, to go and fix the Wiki and make it as up-to-date as possible. Perhaps we could even revive the old staff rank for the Wiki editors, and then we can open up the wiki to ordinary members once again with manual approval required that Wiki Staff could oversee so we don't push that workload on the current mod staff. :unsure:

11. DeoNaught

DeoNaught I'm here to steal memes and break dreams

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Constant Fear
    I actually was gonna ask about this, so we could kill my mega thread.(and ones alike) It'd be a better format to use, and would look alot better. I'd Volunteer as wiki staff, or atleast some of the info put into the wiki, is there a format I can follow or something?
    I remember I found alot of homebrew from the 3ds wiki, so it wasn't unused to say the least.

HamBone41801 and Seriel like this.
  12. tj_cool

tj_cool Site dev

Supervisor
    Jan 7, 2009
    Belgium
    This planet
    This is false. The only thing that is closed is registration.
    If you have a wiki account (which you can get by request) you can edit like normal.

13. Filo97
    OP

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    Where do you apply for a wiki account?

Lilith Valentine likes this.
  14. DeoNaught

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Constant Fear
    welp, time to apply

15. Filo97
    OP

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    Where do you apply? I can't find any apply button.

16. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    Send a pm to tj_cool, and ask him for an wiki account.

17. DeoNaught

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Constant Fear
    p much that I assume, tj_cool is supe of Wikik it seems, so he'd be a great place to start.

18. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    I typed out a reply and then fells asleep without even noticing I passed out.
    I wasn't aware of that and only went off some information (from another source) that made sense. There was a lot of vandalism in the 3DS section, then the site stopped allowing anon edits, thus the information given to me made sense at the time. So I do apologize for my misinformation.

19. Filo97
    OP

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    It would be quite nice if there was a more clear method to apply, such as a button. Maybe pressing the button and signing in with your GBATemp account could send to the mods in a special page similiar to the report page i recall at least a mod mentioning somewhere once an 'applying notification' where all the mods need to do then is press 'accept' or 'refuse'.

20. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    we would have to check that application and the user would expect it to be done fast.
    I think the PM is the easiest and fastest. It's probably even always granted, having a forum's account shows you are a known user and want to help.
    an application button might be possible, but bots could press it too, unless we limit it to 10 or 100 posts.

I can also create accounts, but maybe tj_cool doesn't mind doing it? I'm not always online, but if tj_cool doesn't answer and you see I'm online you can contact me.
    I see this thread made an account creation trend! few new users added to wikitemp this week.

Thank you for wanting to help :)
    Do you plan to update & create some page, or "only" do compatibility lists?
    I can also help on page creation if you don't know where to start. but copying another page is usually the way to create new ones based on the same template/model.
    If you need help with template creation, I made a guide once ... I'll have to find it! I don't want to rewrite it, haha

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 8, 2018