Hacking WiiXT uncovered as fake, evidence included.

WarmWoollySheep

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WiiXT was a good troll. Despite all the reasons to believe this was a fake - and there were many, he was linked on digg and Endgadget as real. His site is even posted all over Wiili.

So now that he's had his fun, why not let everyone know it was a joke?

WiiXT said:
If you would like to help us out, you can by clicking the ads at the bottom of the page when you visit.

There's his motive. The more outrageous the claims, "DVD SUPPORT, Region Free!" "512 onboard memory!" the more links on forums, the more debates of authenticity, the more clicks they get. The sad thing is, this sort of thing hurts real modchip makers like Wiinja and Wiikey because people are waiting for Wiixt. At least when Team Cyclops lies, they still produce something.

What does it cost to pull a stunt like this?

Cost of domain name: $0
Cost of site design: 5 minutes

For a guy who claims that he has "bricked countless Wii's making this chip" - each one costing $250, it should have been a warning sign when he wouldn't spend $6 for a domain to point to his host.

Speaking of his host, w0mb13.net, is a known forum troll as you can see here, or by searching w0mb13 on google. This is relevant because WiiXT is begging people to click their google ads to support the project, but w0mb13 has google ads too.

The Evidence

WiiXTWe are in no way affiliated with w0mb13.net

Google adsense id's:
client=ca-pub-2106519820447586 (WiiXT)
client=ca-pub-2106519820447586 (w0mb13.net)

I call sharing ad revenue a little more than "affiliated".

For anyone who wants to make ad revenue in the future, remember that a $6 domain investment can go a long way.

If you copy and paste this news elsewhere, please give credit to Warm Woolly Sheep / GBATemp.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
good pickup. even though i never heard of this sit b4, its unfortunate that this scam is being run.

WarmWoollySheep

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Its good to have evidence that this is actually fake. Most of us suspected that it was fake in the first place. The chip was just too good to be true.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
When I read "DVD Playback" I thought it's fake. I mean, doesn't someone has to code some sort of "DVD Channel" to enable DVD Playback?

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hell, doesn't someone need to code "dvd playback, FULL region-free, and boot wii homebrew support"? If 3 totally new things unheard of in anything else are coming out, its fake. Maybe if one team came out with each thing for about a month already i'd believe it, but one team come out with 3 new things is bulls---.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
You didn't prove that the WiiXT is a fake, you only proved that the site admin is a greedy bastard
biggrin.gif

But no one should believe the WiiXT is real until it is available in multiple online stores!

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
You didn't prove that the WiiXT is a fake, you only proved that the site admin is a greedy bastard
biggrin.gif

But no one should believe the WiiXT is real until it is available in multiple online stores!

Exactly, nothing in this post makes it more likely to be fake or proves anything to that effect. It's still just outlandish claims on shoddy hosting - there's no solid evidence it doesn't exist but there's very little reason to hope it does.

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
DVD Playback doesn't mean it's fake. But every other chip on the market can do this using GCLinux ...

P.S.: But don't get me wrong, the site just screams it's fake.
wink.gif

apignarb

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nederlaget.no
XP
Country
Norway
Uhm, in all fairness, this doesn't really uncover anything. Evidence? Where? Just because he has google-ads on the page, doesn't prove that it's a fake. I'm not saying it isn't, but to claim to have proven that something is fake, just because you have a gut-feeling about it, doesn't really cut it.

If you want my opinion, the writing on the page sounds legitimate enough, and just the fact that he rejected donations, etc is actually a good sign. But then again, I really wish that chip to be real.

(In other news, i think it's pretty obvious that if this turns out to be a real chip, you all owe me one just because i wanted to believe in it, while you were evil fingerpointers. OR you can just call me a gullible asshole and ignore me ofcourse hehe)

Yours truly,

Gullible idiot

x-power

I am 'Lookout'
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I Argee with Costello since I haven't seen any online sale within last couple weeks or any date release.
It hard to believe DVD Playback, Region free, 128MB firmware + 512MB onboard memory - He really just a joker making-up features what next? Play PS3 on Wii?

apignarb

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nederlaget.no
XP
Country
Norway
Well, they state on their site that it won't be available for some months, so I guess we won't know yet.

I quote:

QUOTE said:
When will the chip be available for purchase?, How much will it cost? - Hopefully we can manage a rollout of the chip sometime within the next 3 months, once we have the funds to start mass production, you will know about it. At the moment we are aiming to have the chip reach consumers at a price of around $64.95 USD (includes dongle), though this is subject to change.

x-power

I am 'Lookout'
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
5-3-07 - We've been getting quite a few emails from people asking if they can donate money, domains, hosting ect. It's great to see such support from the community, but we cannot accept your offers. If you would like to help us out, you can by clicking the ads at the bottom of the page when you visit.

http://wiixt.vze.com/

ChowMein

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is the first time I heard of the WiiXT and I must say, I'm terribly disappointed that it isn't coming out. It has so many features with "even more on the way"! Oh woe are the hopes of those who want the WiiXT

Pennylane

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The sad thing is, this sort of thing hurts real modchip makers like Wiinja and Wiikey because people are waiting for Wiixt.

Gonna have to disagree on this one.

Wiinja and Wiikeys targetgroup are the ppl who just want the cheapest possible way to play "backups".
A homebrew enabling chip for over 60$ has another target group. These ppl woill still wait for a more advanced chip whether its already announce ot no.

And the few ppl aho would actually drop on a wiinja because of a announcment like this, are nothing compared to the loss of money in wiinjas pocket because of clonechips, opensource stuff etc....

kknn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Not that i think that WiiXT is real, but you did not prove that it is a fake.
Having said that, i thank you for finding out inconsistencies in their statements. As w0mb13.net is hosting them, an ad *could* be a way of paying them back, without paying for themselves. Although this is unlikely because they act as if it was their own ad:
QUOTE said:
( We are in no way affiliated with w0mb13.net ). Hell, we've even got Google Ads at the bottom!

Too good a chip to be true..
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram ple bs lol