WiiXT uncovered as fake, evidence included.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Warm Woolly Shee, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Warm Woolly Shee
    OP

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    WiiXT was a good troll. Despite all the reasons to believe this was a fake - and there were many, he was linked on digg and Endgadget as real. His site is even posted all over Wiili.

So now that he's had his fun, why not let everyone know it was a joke?

Google adsense id's:
    client=ca-pub-2106519820447586 (WiiXT)
    client=ca-pub-2106519820447586 (w0mb13.net)

I call sharing ad revenue a little more than "affiliated".

For anyone who wants to make ad revenue in the future, remember that a $6 domain investment can go a long way.

If you copy and paste this news elsewhere, please give credit to Warm Woolly Sheep / GBATemp.

2. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    good pickup. even though i never heard of this sit b4, its unfortunate that this scam is being run.

3. niklasnyfiken

Member niklasnyfiken GBAtemp Regular

Switzerland
    Wow, you found out today, about a month later than most people, that it's fake?

4. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    The moment I read "DVD playback", I knew it was a fake...

5. Warm Woolly Shee
    OP

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Anyone familiar with the modchips knew it was a fake, including the gbatemp staff. They never even bothered mentioning it in a news update.

Most people were skeptical, but hoped it was real. Example:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/2/19/7121

For the guy above and all the people who hoped this chip was real, I thought they'd like evidence.

6. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    Its good to have evidence that this is actually fake. Most of us suspected that it was fake in the first place. The chip was just too good to be true.

7. SpaceJump

Member SpaceJump Where's my new 2D-Metroid?

Germany
    When I read "DVD Playback" I thought it's fake. I mean, doesn't someone has to code some sort of "DVD Channel" to enable DVD Playback?

8. imgod22222

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    Hell, doesn't someone need to code "dvd playback, FULL region-free, and boot wii homebrew support"? If 3 totally new things unheard of in anything else are coming out, its fake. Maybe if one team came out with each thing for about a month already i'd believe it, but one team come out with 3 new things is bulls---.

9. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

You didn't prove that the WiiXT is a fake, you only proved that the site admin is a greedy bastard [​IMG] .

But no one should believe the WiiXT is real until it is available in multiple online stores!

10. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Exactly, nothing in this post makes it more likely to be fake or proves anything to that effect. It's still just outlandish claims on shoddy hosting - there's no solid evidence it doesn't exist but there's very little reason to hope it does.

11. MaHe

Member MaHe one lazy schmo

Slovenia
    DVD Playback doesn't mean it's fake. But every other chip on the market can do this using GCLinux ...

P.S.: But don't get me wrong, the site just screams it's fake. [​IMG]

12. apignarb

Newcomer apignarb Member

Norway
    Uhm, in all fairness, this doesn't really uncover anything. Evidence? Where? Just because he has google-ads on the page, doesn't prove that it's a fake. I'm not saying it isn't, but to claim to have proven that something is fake, just because you have a gut-feeling about it, doesn't really cut it.

If you want my opinion, the writing on the page sounds legitimate enough, and just the fact that he rejected donations, etc is actually a good sign. But then again, I really wish that chip to be real.

(In other news, i think it's pretty obvious that if this turns out to be a real chip, you all owe me one just because i wanted to believe in it, while you were evil fingerpointers. OR you can just call me a gullible asshole and ignore me ofcourse hehe)

Yours truly,

Gullible idiot

13. x-power

Member x-power I am 'Lookout'

United Kingdom
    I Argee with Costello since I haven't seen any online sale within last couple weeks or any date release.
    It hard to believe DVD Playback, Region free, 128MB firmware + 512MB onboard memory - He really just a joker making-up features what next? Play PS3 on Wii?

14. apignarb

Newcomer apignarb Member

Norway
    Well, they state on their site that it won't be available for some months, so I guess we won't know yet.

I quote:

15. kristijan08

Member kristijan08 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    this chip is fake, its too much too soon.

16. x-power

Member x-power I am 'Lookout'

United Kingdom

http://wiixt.vze.com/

17. apignarb

Newcomer apignarb Member

Norway
    x-power, that's the news post that the original poster used as his source for the "scam" [​IMG]

18. ChowMein

Member ChowMein GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    This is the first time I heard of the WiiXT and I must say, I'm terribly disappointed that it isn't coming out. It has so many features with "even more on the way"! Oh woe are the hopes of those who want the WiiXT

19. Pennylane

Newcomer Pennylane Member

Gonna have to disagree on this one.

Wiinja and Wiikeys targetgroup are the ppl who just want the cheapest possible way to play "backups".
    A homebrew enabling chip for over 60$ has another target group. These ppl woill still wait for a more advanced chip whether its already announce ot no.

And the few ppl aho would actually drop on a wiinja because of a announcment like this, are nothing compared to the loss of money in wiinjas pocket because of clonechips, opensource stuff etc....

20. kknn

Newcomer kknn Advanced Member

Not that i think that WiiXT is real, but you did not prove that it is a fake.
    Having said that, i thank you for finding out inconsistencies in their statements. As w0mb13.net is hosting them, an ad *could* be a way of paying them back, without paying for themselves. Although this is unlikely because they act as if it was their own ad:
    Too good a chip to be true.. [​IMG]