Homebrew WiiXL 5200 Problem

MarioMan181

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am trying to get 5200 games to work on WiiXL. But I don't know how to do it. I downloaded a 5200 rom. But how do I load up the games. Please can someone help?

Lexip;

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiXL#Installation

QUOTE said:
Installation

To install WiiXL, simply extract the zip file that this README was distributed with directly to your SD card (retain the hierarchical structure exactly).

WiiXL includes the Atari 800/XL/XE BIOS, OS, and BASIC ROM files.

However, it does NOT include the Atari 5200 ROM file. If you want play Atari 5200 games you must obtain the ROM file, "5200.rom", and place it in the WiiXL application directory (/apps/wiixl).

Disk and cartridge images should be placed in the software directory (wiixl/software).

MarioMan181

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already knew about this. I just can't get any games to work. I already have this 5200 rom file. I already placed it on the apps/wiixl folder. But what do I do to get these games to work. Do I load them from catridge and if so how do I load them. Please respond back.

GhostHawk666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MarioMan181 said:
I already knew about this. I just can't get any games to work. I already have this 5200 rom file. I already placed it on the apps/wiixl folder. But what do I do to get these games to work. Do I load them from catridge and if so how do I load them. Please respond back.

Its been a while, but I believe if you have a GameCube contoller you need to press one of the smaller buttons on the top outside of the controller to bring up the XL menu. Then you need to load the rom of your choosing, then go back to the menu and select RESET (From the XL Menu, not the Wii Reset button). This will cause the rom to load. Kind of weird but it works. I was playing Star Raiders right away. BTW... A USB keyboard comes in REALLY HANDY for this emulator as some buttons are only available to the keyboard and are not mapped in any way to a controller.

bralph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GhostHawk666 said:
MarioMan181 said:

Its been a while, but I believe if you have a GameCube contoller you need to press one of the smaller buttons on the top outside of the controller to bring up the XL menu. Then you need to load the rom of your choosing, then go back to the menu and select RESET (From the XL Menu, not the Wii Reset button). This will cause the rom to load. Kind of weird but it works. I was playing Star Raiders right away. BTW... A USB keyboard comes in REALLY HANDY for this emulator as some buttons are only available to the keyboard and are not mapped in any way to a controller.

I mostly have this working, but a number of ROMs still seem to fail (Frogger, Q-Bert, and quite a few more). Frogger is a favorite of the wife and I, so I'd really like to get it working. I tried downloading it from other sites, but none of them have worked. Of the games that work, all of them have been .bin files. I tried keeping them as .zip, and none of those worked. I also tried a few that were named with .a52, but those didn't work either.

Any ideas? Thanks!

B

Bladeforce

not to sound silly but isnt the atari 800 version of frogger EXACTLY the same as the atari 5200 version? maybe play this one as it works?

also if you press select on the wiimote and gto emulator config and select yes to disable basic on boot you wont need to do any fancy keyboard presses after you've selected your disk from disk management then done a cold boot, auto start
smile.gif

bralph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladeforce said:
not to sound silly but isnt the atari 800 version of frogger EXACTLY the same as the atari 5200 version? maybe play this one as it works?

also if you press select on the wiimote and gto emulator config and select yes to disable basic on boot you wont need to do any fancy keyboard presses after you've selected your disk from disk management then done a cold boot, auto start
smile.gif

I never played anything but the 5200 version, so I didn't know that. In fact, I've never heard of the Atari 800 at all. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for your help.

B

Bladeforce

You're from America and never heard of the Atari 800 but have the Atari 5200? Wow isnt that like saying a Brit has never heard of the commodore 64 but i have heard of the zx spectrum
biggrin.gif

punkydudester

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladeforce since you seem to know this emulator can you help me? I love this machine. I have tons of games & like 5 work. They are all unzipped. I have .bin, .atr, .atx, .cas, & .rom. It doesn't like them. I have all of them in the software folder in the correct files carts, disks & cas folders. I even made a rom folder & it didn't seem to matter. Before I renamed some of them to .com & many started working but in an odd way. If I go to run atari program & find the game Hero it say can't load & throws me back at the main emulator menu. Then I go back in & select moon patrol or goonies & then it will pull up Hero. WTF? I will sometimes go into cartidge management & select remove cartidge but that only seems to help sometimes if it keeps loading Hero no matter what I select. Although I don't have a USB keyboard many of the games that started to work with the renaming (but many still don't) the wiimote works quite well except for spelunker. Since you can't assign buttons to the wiimote yet so with spelunker I can't do the spacebar blender thing that kills the ghost. If you can help me I would be oh so greatful.

StarRaidersGeek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have had some success with getting the 5200 games to load and play with the emulator on the wii. Specifically Star Raiders & Jungle Hunt. Note that I have not tried all of them. Some that I did try loaded but did not play properly. The procedure for getting the emulator and roms to load is convoluted and required a lot of experimentation. I literally had to label my USB keyboard because the active keys were too confusing to memorize. My main interest was Star Raiders, the one and only video game I was ever addicted to. You do not need any other controller for these 2 games. You do need a USB keyboard attached to the wii and one wii remote for Star Raiders. The prior advice in this thread is accurate, but incomplete. I will be happy to share the secrets to success if anyone is still interested.

punkydudester

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry my earlier post was mostly about the Atari 800 part of the emulator. I have not been able to get any games working for the 5200 even though I have the bios in place. I did find a big difference with the roms I got from atariage dot com and the roms from theoldcomputer dot com. theoldcomputer is the best rom site. He has a $10 lifetime membership fee that is totally worth it. I have used many rom sites and there is none better or had more love put into it for ALL systems made. I have gotten many games working just by downloading from there since they are all tested and dumped themselves so they are official working roms. Also if you ever have a problem with anything they fix it right away. I am going to re-download all of my 5200 roms from them and try again. I am still interested if you have any updates about any part of this emulator, thanks.

punkydudester

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have had some success with getting the 5200 games to load and play with the emulator on the wii. Specifically Star Raiders & Jungle Hunt. Note that I have not tried all of them. Some that I did try loaded but did not play properly. The procedure for getting the emulator and roms to load is convoluted and required a lot of experimentation. I literally had to label my USB keyboard because the active keys were too confusing to memorize. My main interest was Star Raiders, the one and only video game I was ever addicted to. You do not need any other controller for these 2 games. You do need a USB keyboard attached to the wii and one wii remote for Star Raiders. The prior advice in this thread is accurate, but incomplete. I will be happy to share the secrets to success if anyone is still interested.

This 5200 emulator is a pain still. I have made a really nice pack for the WiiXL games on Darkumbra with about 480 roms all tested and working and a nice instruction guide to go with it on how to load them with which settings. I have decided to try and get this 5200 going as it bothers me a lot that it isn't working. I am going to re-download everything and try again. I am wondering if the BIOS I have is defective. Where did you get yours and did you have to rename it or change it's extension. Should the 5200 BIOS be a .bin instead of a .rom. ANY HELP would be very much appreciated. It shouldn't be this complicated to get a cartridge based system to work. This emulator has given me more trouble than any of the other 30 emulators I setup on my Wii. Seriously.

JCR1

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This 5200 emulator is a pain still. I have made a really nice pack for the WiiXL games on Darkumbra with about 480 roms all tested and working and a nice instruction guide to go with it on how to load them with which settings. I have decided to try and get this 5200 going as it bothers me a lot that it isn't working. I am going to re-download everything and try again. I am wondering if the BIOS I have is defective. Where did you get yours and did you have to rename it or change it's extension. Should the 5200 BIOS be a .bin instead of a .rom. ANY HELP would be very much appreciated. It shouldn't be this complicated to get a cartridge based system to work. This emulator has given me more trouble than any of the other 30 emulators I setup on my Wii. Seriously.

First in select system select Atari 5200, then in run Atari program select your game, you see the massage that can't load, now press the R button on Gamecube control or the + on wiimote, and that's all, your game loaded!

by the way most of the games that I tested don't load, by example pole position, popeye, river raid, etc. but others like jungle hunt, frogger, Kangaaro runs fine.

Last edited by JCR1,

Qaztab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First in select system select Atari 5200, then in run Atari program select your game, you see the massage that can't load, now press the R button on Gamecube control or the + on wiimote, and that's all, your game loaded!

by the way most of the games that I tested don't load, by example pole position, popeye, river raid, etc. but others like jungle hunt, frogger, Kangaaro runs fine.
Yeah, I know, I'm necromancing the thread.

This particular emulator always irked me because I could never figure out how to get 5200 games to load in WiiXL. So I start searching the forum and find this thread which actually got me towards the solution, particularly the quoted post above, which is a solution but unfortunately only works some of the time. I figured out how to get it to work most/all of the time.

The 5200 is a cartridge system. The emulator expects you to treat it as such but also doesn't really tell you that. From the Emulator menu go into "Cartridge Management", then "Insert Cartridge". Pick your 5200 cartridge from the directory. Now it will ask you what kind of cartridge it is. Among the options there's usually two 5200 options. I usually pick the first one in the list to start. Then it will take you back to the menu rather than load the rom, which does seem weird. This is where you hit the "Reset" button which as the post pointed out above is R button on Gamecube or the + on Wiimote/Classic Controller. This "resets" the emulator to load the rom. It'll either load or it'll take you to a menu screen letting you know the system crashed. If it crashes, choose menu and go through the process again only this time pick the second 5200 cart option.

I've found since I followed this process that all the roms I didn't think initially worked did actually work(including Pole Position, Popeye and River Raid). You don't even need to select the system in the emulator menu beforehand. By selecting a 5200 cartridge type the emulator sets itself to 5200 mode.

Just documenting this here in the thread so the next person doesn't have to dig as deep in the forum search.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.