Hacking Wiiware on vWii without softmodding?

Hezkore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a SDCard full of Wiiware from my old Wii, they're of course all locked to some other console (downloaded, so not locked to my console).
I was wondering if there's any way to "unlock" Wiiware games so that they'll work on any console, or more specifically, vWii on my Wii U?

clay.r.08

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont know how to do that without hacking, not that it cant be done without hacking, i just never play those mini games so i dont know much about them

i read there is a way to play those games on the old wii from hard drive

it might work and be safe for wii u wii mode IF it only requires files to be placed on the hard drive without writing unaproved code to your wii u

if you have to install cios or channels then i would wait for a better answer from someone that knows more about this than me because i have not even tried it on the old wii or looked at the hack or read it

i googled ... "Wiiware From Usb" ... there was lots of information about this but dont mess with writing unaproved code to your wii u wii mode if you dont want to end up like this guy below

82164926.gif

purplenurple.png

muskieratboi

Rydian's got some competition!
Trophies
XP
Country
Yup.

You soft-mod V-Wii. XD

Lol, not much you can do otherwise.

If they're legitimately purchased wiiware from your old console, you can do a system transfer.

Hezkore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I softmodded my Wii U's vWii mode, and I had promised myself I wouldn't... It'd be nice to have ONE console that's not modded.:nayps3:
ANYWAYS... I've been away for a long time, and I'm wondering if it's possible to have Wiiware and VC games on my NTFS drive?

Hezkore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
While I am capable of using Google (thank you) the problem is that most of these topics are for Wii (not vWii) and also from 2011.
It doesn't mean it's safe to do any of this on vWii, and I don't want to end up bricked.

clay.r.08

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i could be wrong but i think it only requires setting up the usb drive correclty

does not require anything to be installed to wii or vwii

if that is the case i dont think you have anything to worry about

and 2011 is not that bad, its just not a highly popular hack

i take that back

i newer better way may have been released in 2012, someone else might be able to help more than me

Hezkore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well Wad2ISO seems to work, if i transfer them over with Wii Backup Manager so that it ends up as a WBFS file on my NTFS drive.
Thanks for the help everyone.

Actually scratch that... no matter where i put "Loader.dol" for wad2iso it gives me "can't find Loader.dol"

Hezkore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have all of these tools though?... And I'm not so sure I want to fool around with "Install cios 249 rev 17" in vWii mode.

clay.r.08

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, i guess you caught me trying to get this back for myself to use on old wii

i canceled the download it said it was going to take days

i restarted the torrent but this time i only checked the instructions, i will post the instructions if i get them

you could try it without installing cios 249 rev 17

just install the dx2 10's vwii that is in the vwii mod guide and see if it works

Scuba156

Trophies
XP
Country
Do not install any Wii cios on a vWii, you WILL brick it.

Wad2ISO will allow the wads to be run through a us loader, but your still going to have to soft mod to get a working USB loader. Check the tutorials in this section on how to do it correctly. Do not follow bad advice

clay.r.08

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do not install any Wii cios on a vWii, you WILL brick it.

Wad2ISO will allow the wads to be run through a us loader, but your still going to have to soft mod to get a working USB loader. Check the tutorials in this section on how to do it correctly. Do not follow bad advice

i told him to instal what is in the guide, i told him not to instal the old wii cios, i did not tell him anything wrong

i was talking about this guide ... http://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-install-cios-on-vwii-backup-nand-and-keys.339890/

Hezkore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Scuba, if you read up a bit you'll see that I already did softmod it.
USB Loader GX does show the wads converted to ISO in the games list, but once I run them it says it can't find Loader.dol even though I have Loader.dol placed in my SD card root as instructed by Wad2Iso, also tried in the USB HDD root but with the same issue.
And there are no guides for how to use Wiiware on USB HDD in vWii as far as I can see, so I'm not sure what guides you are referring to.

clay.r.08

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scuba, if you read up a bit you'll see that I already did softmod it.
USB Loader GX does show the wads converted to ISO in the games list, but once I run them it says it can't find Loader.dol even though I have Loader.dol placed in my SD card root as instructed by Wad2Iso, also tried in the USB HDD root but with the same issue.
And there are no guides for how to use Wiiware on USB HDD in vWii as far as I can see, so I'm not sure what guides you are referring to.

so you already modded your wii u wii mode, and you can play wii games from loaders ?

then you must of already installed d2x v10 vwii

did you install all 3 of them ?

if you already did this then you might have to wait for somone that knows more than me

we can only hope that the cant find dol is not a cios problem and just something you need to changed by putting a file in the correct path

12.) Select cIOS : <d2x-v10-beta52-vWii> (Alternative: beta53-alt)
Select cIOS base : <56>
Select cIOS slot : <249>

13.) Press A to install and wait for installation to finish.

14.) Press A to continue.

15.) Select cIOS : <d2x-v10-beta52-vWii> (Alternative: beta53-alt)
Select cIOS base : <57>
Select cIOS slot : <250>

16.) Press A to install and wait for installation to finish.

17.) Press A to continue.

18.) Select cIOS : <d2x-v10-beta52-vWii> (Alternative: beta53-alt)
Select cIOS base : <58>
Select cIOS slot : <251>

clay.r.08

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
here is the instructions from that download

the download actually speeded up and i know have the entire 33.8mb package

Your wii must be softmodded!

Note: You need to be on cios 249 rev 17 for the games to run. If not you will get black screen.
You can install cios rev 21 to slot 250 with 56 as base and to slot 251 with 57 as base etc.,
so you can still run newer games.

If your are making a wbfs partition for the first time make sure it is the first partition on the drive.
If your whole usb hdd is wbfs/ntfs, the only way is to either add all your games again after re-partitioning
or to clone your wbfs partition to another wbfs formatted drive, then clone back after.
so, here is my guide.
If you have 20+ .wads, do step 4 first as wad2iso will take some time
1. Get simple fs dumper and put the .dol in sd:apps/Simple FS folder, make sure u have your hdd plugged into the wii and that
u have a fat 32 partition ( i made mine 10gb and its plenty). U can also use your sd, but make sure u have 500mb free.
2. Run simple fs from homebrew channel, and it will backup your nand to your fat32.
3. While that is doing it`s thing, on the pc, put all your wads in 1 folder.
4. Use wad2iso to create the forwarder iso`s - select all wads, click open, then cancel when it
asks if u want to change any settings, unless you know the .wad needs video patching.
5. Once simple fs has finished, plug your hdd/sd back into pc. Locate your wad2iso install directory and copy the folder
"Nand Games" to the root of your fat 32 partition, this has triiforce in it, which the iso forwarders point to. So you
should have the folders `import,meta,shared1` etc.along with the nand games folder.

6. Next Use showmiiwads and in options click create common key (only on first run) then options > change nand backup path
to your fat 32, then click view - showmiiwads then click file - open folder that has all your wads in,
7. Wait for wad2iso to finish
8. In showmiiwads select all of your wads then right click and extract - to nand. When the green bar in the bottom right
stops, it`s done.
9. Next use wbfs manager to add all your finished iso`s from wad2iso to the wbfs partition.
10. Use partition wizard pro 5.2 to set your fat32 partition as active and primary. You may also need to set the
wbfs and fat32 partitions as primary. I use minitool partition manager to do this as i could not
find it in windows disk management.
11. Plug your hdd back into the wii and load up your usb loader, select a game and cross your fingers!

Hezkore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes I have already modded it and done all that softmodding guide says (and more, I've been modding my Wii since it was released so I'm not a noob)
The problem as stated in post #5 is that "I've been away for a long time, and I'm wondering if it's possible to have Wiiware and VC games on my NTFS drive?"

clay.r.08

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I have already modded it and done all that guide says (and more :P I've been modding my Wii since it was released so I'm not a noob)
The problem as stated in post #5 is that "I've been away for a long time, and I'm wondering if it's possible to have Wiiware and VC games on my NTFS drive?"

im just glad i gots this package for myself:yayps3: incase i want to try it on my old wii

or wii u vwii if this thread is answered by someone that knows more about if its possible on the vwii with NTFS like you want

i dont care if its ntfs, fat, or wbfs... does this mean i hi jacked your thread ? at least i got what i wanted

and maybe what i posted will help with what you want, i dont think i made it worse for this thread

ayrek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I have already modded it and done all that softmodding guide says (and more, I've been modding my Wii since it was released so I'm not a noob)
Just ignore all of clay's ramblings.

I use CFG USB loader, and I have an SD card that I use for both my Wii and my vWii. On that SD card I have a virtual NAND extracted from my console that has VC and Wiiware installed, and while I haven't done extensive testing with the Wii U, I have noticed that the compatibility is roughly the same. I.e. probably 80% or more of the games I have tried work with minimum tweaking (namely, loading with d2x base 57 instead of base 56).

The default location for a virtual NAND is on the USB drive, so you can obviously have it there rather than on an SD. I wasn't going to bring it up before, but since you went ahead and did the softmod, I thought it became relevant. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs