WiiWare games and SD card question

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Kamika, Jun 20, 2009.

Jun 20, 2009
  1. Kamika
    OP

Member Kamika GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Hey all. I have a question about the most recent firmware update for the Wii. I read that SDHC support was added as well as the ability to download WiiWare and Virtual Console games directly onto your SD card. But can you play them directly from the SD card or not?

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Yeah. You just need the channels on there and you can load 'em up. I don't know how saves work with it though.

3. Kamika
    OP

Netherlands
    So I don't need to do anything obscure with my Wii in order to do that, eh?

But if you download game(s) on the SD card, won't the channel(s) be placed on the card as well? If someone has experience with downloading WiiWare/VC games, then please post. Even though I have my Wii for over a year now, I still haven't tried downloading any WiiWare or Virtual Console games.

4. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Well, I don't directly download onto my SD card. You can just download onto your Wii's system memory and copy or move to the SD card. If this didn't help, please clarify the quoted post.

5. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    you need to upgrade to 4.0 though for it to work. save games are still stored on your wiis memory. you install the wad 1st and it appears in your channels. than you go to the save manager and select the channel and choose move to SD.

6. personager

Member personager GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    You can "legally" download them to your Wii's system menu as a channel and move it your SD Card. How ever, this will not work if you use WAD Manager to install the WAD "illegally" without a patched IOS60.

7. Kamika
    OP

Netherlands
    And how do I find out which firmware version my Wii has? I think the last one was back in april or something (I have a European Wii)

8. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    go into wii options it says it in the top right corner. if it was in April than you probably already have 4.0

9. personager

Member personager GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    When you move the Virtual Console games to your SD Card, do they save as WAD files in your SD Card?

10. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    No. The channel on SD will be saved in the /private/wii/title/(id here) structure as a content.bin file

11. Kamika
    OP

Netherlands
    I don't use a WAD manager nor am I planning to use one. It's not like I'm swimming in money so I'm not gonna experiment with my Wii.