WiiWare as .dol through Homebrew Channel

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by buckely, May 19, 2009.

May 19, 2009
  1. buckely
    OP

Newcomer buckely Member

United States
    This is just a thought, I don't recall any talk of this before. Would it be possible to extract a .dol from a WiiWare game and run it through the Homebrew Channel? This would allow us to run them from the SD card and now with the new Homebrew Channel the USB Drive. This would save the much needed space on the Wii system memory. There could be forwarder channels made for the titles so they would even appear to work the same way as they would in Wad form.

2. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    The problem is that most of the space consumed by the wads is not inside the .dol. Guess what that means.

3. Joey Ravn

Member Joey Ravn F*** you, Nintendo!

Spain
    Can't you just install the game and the transfer it to the SD card? I'm sure you can do it with VC games, but dunno about WiiWare games.

4. buckely
    OP

Newcomer buckely Member

United States
    Well any VC game except N64 games I run via the appropriate emulator. I'm mostly concerned about some of the rather large WiiWare games. It would be nice not to have to install and uninstall games all the time and wouldn't it be safer to run it via homebrew channel than installing the Wad for the sake of bricks?

5. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    With BootMii and/or Preloader, banner bricks are nothing you can't handle. If you plan on having a bunch of VC stuff just do Waninkoko's 4.0 update and use the SD Menu.

6. buckely
    OP

Newcomer buckely Member

United States
    has there been a fix that I missed where we can now transfer wad files back to the system memory? I can go to the sd card fine but when I try to run them from the card it doesn't copy back to the Wii.

7. buckely
    OP

Newcomer buckely Member

United States
    Nevermind it works now, I guess there was a fix and i didn't realize I installed it. LOL