WiiU will have downloadable GameCube titles...

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
Bladexdsl said:
so the wu isn't compatible with cube games but you can download them anyway for a price? i'll be keeping my wii to play cube games thank you. nintendo are starting to get a little bit greedy.
I agree partly. It's a bit concerning that you have to pay for it regardless of whether you have already bought it or not. But it's great for those of us who never had these games in our collection.
That and at this point you should have a wii and no need to download again and buy game you haven play before.
Unlike a portable, you don't have to carry them around, so it shouldn't be much of a hassle.

It not like they force you to buy games. If they try to make it compatible you would probably have something similar too the ps3 with ps2 issue.

Most likely regardless of what he would say.

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My friend from my college actually gave me his old Gamecube and some games (he got his GF's Wii
laugh.gif
) and I am enjoying it!

The Mario Tennis game for it is amazing and addictive. And I going to see if my local GameStop has SSB Melee too. And all the MegaMan games for it.

If the WiiU does have downloadable GC titles, it will probably be a select few out of the list. Which is the one thing I dont like about that.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TDWP FTW said:
jalaneme said:
that is a complete con, nintendo are basically making people who own a huge library of gamecube games to rebuy them all over again, well a big FU to nintendo for trying to rip me off, they are getting just as greedy as sony.
Are you retarded? They aren't FORCING you to get rid of your GameCube or Wii and stop playing your GCN games. If anything, you're greedy for bitching at Nintendo because they aren't going to keep adding backwards compatibility for old systems into their new consoles, just because you have a lot of GCN games you want to play. Here's a solution: BUY A GAMECUBE!
lawl, that was awesome.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Probably NOT true but:

* Super Mario Sunshine
* Luigi's Mansion
* Vieuwtifull Joe 1 & 2
* TLOZelda : Windwaker
* MarioKart : DoubleDash!
hmm Metroid we allready have...also RE 4, hmmm are there even more TOP titles?

Maybe * F-Zero GX? & *Paper mario

Comes down to 7 titles.... that's NOT a LOT.

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jonesman99 said:
If the WiiU does have downloadable GC titles, it will probably be a select few out of the list. Which is the one thing I dont like about that.

Same with me. Unless they release Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Then any other game doesn't matter to me.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
_Chaz_ said:
Bladexdsl said:
so the wu isn't compatible with cube games but you can download them anyway for a price? i'll be keeping my wii to play cube games thank you. nintendo are starting to get a little bit greedy.
I agree partly. It's a bit concerning that you have to pay for it regardless of whether you have already bought it or not. But it's great for those of us who never had these games in our collection.
From a business perspective it would make no sense to give away these digitally available titles for free if you already own a retail copy of the games on a previous system. Obviously they could do it and they would most likely be very liked for such a move, but it would not give them the same flow of income so they'd need to consider the balance of increased customer satisfaction with potential monetary gain to see if it would actually be worth it.

A user should still have their old games though and should be able to play them on the older system. Paying to have access to an older title on a new system isn't all that weird, especially in this case since it seems like they'll be reworked to function properly on a WiiU.

gambit420

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
F-Zero GX would be nice as an GC downloadable, a new F-Zero for the WiiU is a must....(and I don't want my F-Zero with Mii's or with retarded casual difficulty)

Ron457x2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
Wow, I'd be so hyped if this happened. I'd love to see some downloadable games from the Gamecube. Melee with the possibility of online makes me moist.

But....

machomuu said:
Wait...she's talking to someone in NoA? Then who gives a crap? What they say doesn't matter.
This.
Melee online....
I WOULD SO GET IT!
But ProjectMelee sustains me for now.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry, this is pure bullshit. If it's already backwards compatible with Wii discs, the only reason to make GC games download-only is if they can't come up with a decent solution for making games compatible with saving to internal memory or whatever controller they want to use on-the-fly. But seeing as it's only going to be emulating the GameCube either way, it's not hard to patch these into the emulator itself. The only other reason I can think of (other than blatant money-grubbing) is an unwillingness to release a USB device to transfer memory card saves over to the WiiU.

spoonmanx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I knew this from the very first mention of GC discs not being compatible with the U.
It makes perfect business sense too.
A natural progression of Virtual Console coupled with the fact
that video game companies don't make a penny off of old used games.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
It was logical for the Wii to include GC backwards compatibility because because it's a natural step up much like how the Wii U will have Wii backward compatibility, yet a good majority of the people who have a Wii didn't have a GC beforehand. Therefore, there isn't a whole lot of logic to include hardware from a console 2 generations back for the majority of people who do get a Wii U, as it increases hardware costs with few actually benefiting from it. Most likely GC games will be emulated, but with emulation comes possible advantages, like not needing a TV to play them.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
jalaneme said:
that is a complete con, nintendo are basically making people who own a huge library of gamecube games to rebuy them all over again, well a big FU to nintendo for trying to rip me off, they are getting just as greedy as sony.
The downloadable feature is definitely for Nintendo fans who never owned a GameCube due to financial reasons or something else. I can't wait for the WiiU!! Now it's becoming a must buy!!

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
WHAT!? You mean Nintendo isn't going to support my decade old library and are going to make me rebuy games? STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES!

Also, I don't believe this story and will wait for it to be announced.

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
AshuraZro said:
WHAT!? You mean Nintendo isn't going to support my decade old library and are going to make me rebuy games? STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES!

Also, I don't believe this story and will wait for it to be announced.
Thats completely expected lol.
They need to have some sort of way of playing GC games o.o

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1